Is a GT40 replica a reasonable weekend car?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There was a funny episode of Top Gear where they drove a small section of that road. They were not impressed :)

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I give the US version a little slack for having some decent bits this year but the version from across the pond is still far more entertaining and clever to me. Jeremy's squeal like a pig bit was hilarious.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Dave,

Welcome to GT40s.com and for starting this thread which has probably been on the minds of others as they contemplate taking the plunge into the world of GT40..
As you can tell from the responses thus far, the suitability of a GT40 for a reasonable weekend car is certainly relative to the amount of comfort and baggage required.
Remembering that the GT40 was never really meant to be a road car but only equipped as such by the manufacturers to gain homologation for competition. Many of the GT40s owned by members here are faithful replicas to the originals and as such, they are actually racing cars that are loosely qualified to be on the public roads. They may have rose (heim) jointed suspension bits which require frequent washing, inspection and lubrication. Their dampers are valved for competition and will transmit every bit of road inconsistency directly to your spine. There are many ways to tame the beast or at least remove some of the raucousness from it, but then they start to take on traits more endearing to a Corolla than to the iconic supercars they replicate.
Just like the neighbors that lived on either side of me with Harleys. One spends two or three hours a day washing, waxing, polishing before and after he rides, the other sits on the saddle of his somewhat tarnished but loved steed swilling a beer and tossing friendly jabs at others who are "wasting time" in his opinion. You'll get some of that here as well..
One thing to be sure of though. While the GT40 may not be all things to all people, it is universally accepted as the car built by the men and women of Ford that raised the bar and established itself as a SuperCar.

Back