IVA Fog Light Requirement

Shaun

Supporter
Evening all,
Quick IVA question re fog lights, I have mine wired on a latched switch that only operates when the dip beam is on, is there a need for the fog light to be latching so that if I turn the dip off the fog lights go off with it? Only issue I see with that is the only way to turn a fog light off is to use the dip beam switch and turn those off.
Mind you in 35 years of driving I don't think i have ever hardly used a fog light!!
Cheers

In Holland there are differend regulations for Fog & Spot lamps ( front side).

Fog lamps should be fully adjustable in height & side to side.
Fog lamps only operates with parking lights or dip beam and should have a separate switch & warning light.

Spot lamps do not need to be adjustable at all. and if they are operated by a separate switch they have no regulations as they are seen as working lamps then.
Otherwise they could be operated by the main beam but then they follow the regulations of the main beam.

Ed McClements

Supporter
See section 28 from current IVA manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210213-085255.png
    Screenshot_20210213-085255.png
    541.4 KB · Views: 230

Ed McClements

Supporter
You need to be able to switch on the rear fog only when the headlamp is on, whether it's on main beam or dipped. The switch must be labelled, and there needs to be a warning light to remind you that the rear fog light is on. The warning light needs to be labelled, or bear the fog lamp icon. And that's it.
There are *optional* alternatives in Notes 3 & 4, but they're more complex to implement. Keep it simple, IMHO.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again why risk a fail for a £30 module, and a £30 module that ultimately improves the usability too...

On my IVA test the chap definitely made a point to check that the fog would not stay on when the lights are turned off and on again. It may not be mandatory but like it or not these tests are subjective to the assessor on the day.
What you don’t want to be doing is pointing out that the assessor is wrong and you think you know more than they do.

Just play the game and pass first time. A retest will cost you a hell of a lot more than £30!

Hi,
From what that I understood is that the fog light may be switched on with dip or beam only, and with warning light on dash, done in such way when you switch of the headlights, the rear fog light is of to and you must again switch on manually the fog light on..
cars builders sell this little item ..

this is to avoid driving behind cars with the fog light switch on by people who forget what the warning light on the dash is for... when the last time when they were driving in fog...
Paul

Ed McClements

Supporter
Hi chaps

I totally understand what you're saying, but the rules in black & white do not mandate what you're proposing.

VOSA have offered the following clarification by e-mail to several clubs / enquiries:-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good Morning ****

We understand that there is some confusion over Note 4 in section 28 regarding the operation of rear fog lamps, the intention of Note 4 was to allow these options but not mandate them.

The requirement for the rear fog lamps are as follows:
The rear fog lamp(s) must only illuminate when dipped beam, main beam or front fog lamps are lit,

But the other conditions listed in the Note 4 will also be accepted if manufactured / wired up that way,

The manual is currently been amended and will clarify the operation of the rear fog lamps and the accepted alternatives, we have already issued a memo to all IVA Examiners with the correct information so VOSA Station should now be applying the correct standard.

Hopefully this will resolve your concern

For all the requirements regarding IVA can be found in the Inspection Manual which is free to download from Vehicle approval - GOV.UK

many thanks

Approvals Policy Engineer
Approvals Scheme Management
Scheme Management and External Relations

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So...I was only offering the facts, so that Shaun can decide on the way forward.

Cheers,

Eddy

Shaun

Supporter
Cheer all top advice as always it does seem an odd part to add to the IVA document as sort of optional part, in my case it will be swapping the latching switch for a momentary one plus the module, maybe I will err as Paul says on the side of caution and just add it will have a think
Thanks again all

Shaun

Supporter
Actually cannot do a momentary one as my warning light is in the switch so it would fail on that, I guess latch keep and just add the module or wire the lamp to be fed form the fog light not the switch
Just when I thought i had done the wiring, still I have the immobiliser to fit anyway, once I sort my cooked loom!!
Happy days

Shaun

Supporter
CBS sell latching and non latching versions dependant on which switch type you have.
I might have a spare non latching one I think? Those switched look the part but the terminals on the back are not great, really small and the cables slip off easily, I will probably once all sorted just pipe a bit of silicon to hold them in place

Hi Shaun,
sorry bit late to this, but you can easily wire in a momentary switch for fog light - see attached. I'd had mine wired from the side light feed, which for a 2014 IVA was OK. The key point they are looking for is to ensure that the fog light doesn't stay on when the main lights are switched off
Hope this helps
Regards,
Andy

Attachments

• GT40 - Wiring IVA fog light mod.pdf
    43.5 KB · Views: 353
I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again why risk a fail for a £30 module, and a £30 module that ultimately improves the usability too...

On my IVA test the chap definitely made a point to check that the fog would not stay on when the lights are turned off and on again. It may not be mandatory but like it or not these tests are subjective to the assessor on the day.
What you don’t want to be doing is pointing out that the assessor is wrong and you think you know more than they do.

Just play the game and pass first time. A retest will cost you a hell of a lot more than £30!

Shaun

Supporter
Mystery solved so they do 2 it seems not very clear from the site but one is latch and one not but anyhow looking I was being lazy as per Andy's schematic its dead easy to do with a £4 relay just use the output to hold the coil on

Back