J I C fittings vs double flare

I was trying to get some fittings for my brand new Tilton Master Cylinder(s) at my local NAPA store. I chose the ones that were premade double flares, to adapt the 3/16 to 1/4" for the clutch line. After getting them I tried fitting them only to find they did not tighten up the tubing to the back of the hole. The tubing wold slide in and out about 1/8". Upon inspection, I saw the fittings I needed was the JIC type. We tried to find an adapter to go to the double flares. Don't think they make one. Least ways I can't find one. I pulled the tubing from the first Master Cylinder that the guys at the speed shop had made and installed. I cut the line as it was too short for what I really needed anyway. It went to a T connector for the clutch safety switch(clutch has to be depressed in order for the starter button to work). It was the wrong size master and had a tiny leak at the T. When I removed the small fitting from the old master, I found it was a double flare in a JIC hole. I guess they tightened it til it sealed!! Do I have to take a JIC fitting and manually double flare the tubing to get what I need? Can I insert a crush washer to take up the slack and still use the double flare? What "type" of JIC fitting should I use coming out of the Master.It will have to be a long style as the long double flare almost went to the hub and still didn't push the tubing to the bottom of the hole. Should I use a T with the JIC fitting for the safety awitch or should I use it further down the line with just double flares? Do I use a line with a pinch fit like a water line? I am a bit confused as to how these are supposed to run.

Bill

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
JIC fittings have the same 37 degree flare angle that AN fittings have. You can use a Tube nut and sleeve, single-flare and say goodbye to leaks.

Do not try to use a 45 degree flare on a JIC.

The one on top:
Flare-Tube-Fittings_250x250.jpg

JIC-E-2-700.jpg

Back