J6 on the tube again yesterday...

My goodness Jim, how do have time to do anything else, everytime I turn on my TV, I see J6 in some form or fashion... it was on Autoweek yesterday as part of their story on the new Ford GT.

Man, that's awesome!

mardyn

I think it must have been on the parade lap. Looked like mostly GT40s and your car was following another Red Mark 4 going through a turn (possibly the corkscrew turn)... only a short 1 or 2 second spot, but impressive none the less..

mardyn

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks
That red one was a replica. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone making Mark IV replicas? Who would that be?

That was "J11" built by Brian Anglis on a spare un used tub in the late 70ies. The tub was not chassis plated at time of mfg. as it was a spare. It's owned and vintage raced by Tom Malloy.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,

"J11/J12" were completed circa 1987-88. I was at Autokraft in May 1985 and Brian offered me my choice of tubs......not in the budget at that time (or now). As you may recall there was an argument over which car would be J11 and which would be J12, rod Leach ending up with J12 painted white.

It was a treat to walk into the back area at Autokraft and see TWO MK IV tubs and assorted parts laying about. Prioer to that my only contact with a MK IV was seeing J5 at the Henry Ford Museum.

I have some picture I took of the tubs in 1985 that still remind me of "what could have been..."

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Jim

I don't mean to split hairs...but if J11/12 were made from
original tubs and body panels, I would not refer to them
as replicas, which implies "later" manufacture.
An original tub is an original tub....

To my non-legal way of thinking, J11/J12 are equal to
Lee Holmans cars in terms of pedigree. Of course the
lawyers may disagree...but that's what we pay them for...

MikeD

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
<font color="blue">Mike DD

I would agree, these were original Kar Kraft tubs that had not been finished. Perhaps if the rules had not changed and Ford would have once again contested the international circuit they might have been assembled and J11 or J12 could have won LeMans in 1968? Of course we will never know but I certianly place these two cars in a catagory above a "recreation" and just under the surviving J series cars.

Rick</font> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

First of both of these are built on J car tubs not MK-IV tubs which are different. Second they don't have original body panels. Thirdly many details are wrong. The induction is wrong, the shift lever is wrond the dash is wrong. I could go on...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Jim,

I would guess you are right. I do remember and looking my pictures these do have the early "rounded" sills like a "J" car. I have not seen the details of the bodies or interiors other than some photos so I will take you expert opinion and call them "continuation wannabee MK IV/J Cars" built outside the original timeframe but still really cool...

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hey Jim... what's the value on an original MK4 these days? What about one of the continuation versions? I have no idea, but would guesstimate $250K or better? What are your thoughts?

mardyn

A number of years ago, but after the bubble "J11" sold at auction for 400k. I bet it's had a good 200K of work since then. Of the 6 original MK-IV's I doubt one will come to market for a while.

Yea, After some more thought... $250K seems pretty cheap. I'd imagine maybe $500K to $1M is more in line..
Not a car for the faint of heart or pocket book...

mardyn

Back