James' GT-Forté scratch build GT40 MkI

JAMES, Stop and listen to Mike, it is imperative that you take note of the experience of others than rely on your own intuition, and we have all seen failures in this design of wishbone, your design is particularly weak, and just because it follows what another manufacturer has done do's not make it any safer.

Hey Frank - I am listening! I'll listen to anyone who's taken the time to comment on my build, especially you guys with a lot of experience.

I get that mounting the suspension as far outboard as possible results in the least amount of bending on the wishbones. I know there have been some issues on some of the tornado set ups. To sort the issue people have either

1) used stronger components (like Andy Green here)
2) changed to a different set up (like Bob mentions above)

for people that have gone down route 1) - are you saying that this is dangerous (ie not fit for road use) or that it's just not technically the best solution?

Cheers
James

Hi James, to avoid starting a fire fight on the Forum, call me anytime weekdays to discuss if you want, you know where I am ! Frank

I'm late to the game here but very curious as the GTForte suspension setup, with respect to the wishbones at least, is mine.

If the stress analysis isn't altered, then what is given "stock" should be fine.

Is the analysis in dispute?

Another thing to consider using that design compared to a design wich mounts the coilover closer to the upright is that you get a higher load from two different ways.

First of all, you get a lever effect from the wheel to the mounting point. The further apart they are, the greater the stress on the wishbone.

Secondly, to achive a correct springrate you have to use stiffer springs when placing the mounting further away from the upright.

So. You get both a bigger lever AND a stiffer "anvil" (for lack of a better word in english).

Placing the coilovermount as close as possible and modifying the upper wishbone will get you a springrate that's gentler. It will be as hard as was intended from the begining but it will be more comfortable as the lower springrate will cope with rough roads better than the stiffer one.

I would also see if I could place the upper coilover mount as high as possible to increase the angle between the lower wishbone and the coilover. This also helps to reduce the stress on the wishbone AND lower the springrate required :)

Hello James,
i saw your chassis build. Congratulation. It looks very well.

I have question. Do you have any drawings or dimensions for wishbones of your GT40 what you make?

Thanks Robert

It's been a little while.... but I've fabricated the first rear upright. Hope the other side is a bit quicker!

Attachments

• IMG_4545.jpg
    IMG_4545.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_4548.JPG
    IMG_4548.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 574
  • IMG_4883.JPG
    IMG_4883.JPG
    218.5 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_5356.JPG
    IMG_5356.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 683
  • IMG_5859.jpg
    IMG_5859.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 593
  • IMG_5862.JPG
    IMG_5862.JPG
    222.5 KB · Views: 586

NickD

Supporter
Hi James,

That looks a fine piece of work. I had the luxury of being provided with the basic parts so all I had to do was fabricate it, welding up was still tough but you have gone one step further. Looks great.

Nick.

It's been a little while.... but I've fabricated the first rear upright. Hope the other side is a bit quicker!

Nice work.

I keep finding the second side/version is better than the first. There are a couple of times I've gone back and re-made the first one because of it!

Back