Ken's SLC build thread

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The SLC is still under construction Grant. I won't purchase the second one till the exchange rate improves. One of them will eventually be sold.

Yes I hear you on that, Ebay called me ask if I was ok I used to be one of their best customers. CAD is sure sucking the hind tit. only good thing about it, keeps the SL-C rare in Canada.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I'm building a second set of aero tube mirrors in case I decide on another SLC. The first picture shows the tubing, top insert and bottom mount ready for welding. The thick plate bolted to the bottom mount is to help prevent warping from the tig welding.

Attachments

• 005_zpst4shidfo.jpg
    005_zpst4shidfo.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The second picture shows how I chose to mount the aero tube stem to the mirror head. I fabricated an aluminum bracket that bolts to the new stainless steel mirror swivel mount. The original aluminum swivel mount was discarded. I'm not using the turn signal feature so the wires were cut off.

Attachments

• 001_zpsqd6vh8i2.jpg
    001_zpsqd6vh8i2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 253
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This picture shows the modification needed to the bottom of the mirror housing.

Attachments

• 003_zpsoldemdoa.jpg
    003_zpsoldemdoa.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 247
  • 002_zpsvhj54hk5.jpg
    002_zpsvhj54hk5.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 222
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This picture shows how the mirror head gets fastened to the aero tube stem. The stem gets bolted to the door with a reinforcement plate underneath the fiberglass. Next the mirror head gets attached and finally tightened from inside the door panel after positioning the head in it's correct position.

Attachments

• 004_zpsoewnyhje.jpg
    004_zpsoewnyhje.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is a view of the bottom of the mirror head after assembly.

Attachments

• 003_zpsoldemdoa.jpg
    003_zpsoldemdoa.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
The mirror glass won't go in till the car is finished and determined that no other adjustments are required.

What type of adhesive did fellow builders use?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
This picture shows the difference between the original small aluminum bracket (held in my fingers) verses the larger stainless bracket needed.

Attachments

• 006_zpsspeemoc2.jpg
    006_zpsspeemoc2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 220
Last edited:
Pretty cool. Where did you find the tubing?

Most epoxies will work, but will be very permanent. A really good double sided tape would make it replaceable if it ever broke.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I have opened up the holes for better flow as others have done.

Attachments

• 003_zpstovttbcm.jpg
    003_zpstovttbcm.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I made a custom plenum for my setup. The outlet to the window defroster has a flap/door that will be controlled by a simple push/pull knob.

Attachments

• 004_zpsbyi7u8hd.jpg
    004_zpsbyi7u8hd.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
I started to mock up my next set of exhaust manifolds. This idea was suggested by Bill Phillips. Cutting off the stock heavy flanges will reduce the weight and over all height. A divider will be fabricated down the middle as well to aid flow.

Attachments

• 005_zpsk5vchee4.jpg
    005_zpsk5vchee4.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Here is another idea that will also work. These elbows are for sale. They press fit inside after cutting off the heavy stock flanges with a reciprocating saw. Then send them out to be welded.

Attachments

• 003_zpsigfsbg3y.jpg
    003_zpsigfsbg3y.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Anybody need some stock flanges or elbows? These are original flanges that have been cutoff and dressed up. They are better than the plain aftermarket ones due to the recess machined into them to aid in gasket retention. I'll list them in the for sale section.

Attachments

• 001_zpswhugfmw6.jpg
    001_zpswhugfmw6.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Where did you find these weld-on LS7 header elbows?
Here is another idea that will also work. These elbows are for sale. They press fit inside after cutting off the heavy stock flanges with a reciprocating saw. Then send them out to be welded.

Back