KEP clutch rating

Hi All, still in the build phase and have a 930 transaxle using Kennedy heavy duty clutch - their highest rated unit good for 600 ft/lbs evidently. Was mucking around in the weekend planning the hydraulic slave conversion and tried to stroke the clutch manually using a 2 ft bar acting directly on the shift fork spline to see how much force was required. I couldn't do it, and at a guess I would have been putting 2000-3000lbs on the release bearing, and wonder if I cocked up the assembly. I am concerned at how much force will need to act on the shaft, and especially how high above the case support the stock spline is (about 2 inches) - this must be hard on the case and the journals pressed into it even if the shaft itself can handle the torque.

I am hoping that the answer is that the clamping force of the 600ft/lb KEP clutch is above what I could muster on the bar which only leaves a question as how to best support the stock porsche parts in operation so there is not a bending moment on the fork shaft and everything is as well supported as possible. Does anybody know the clamping force of this unit, and does anyone know what travel is require at the release bearing to disengage the clutch.

Thanks for your thoughts and experiences.

Cheers, Andrew

Back