KVA / SGT build

NickD

Supporter
Hi Udo. I was looking more to the rear lower sections of the fibre glass rear clip. The Audi box is a little longer I think than the Renault so I wondered if you experience any fouling right at the back of the box. If you did, would you show how you addressed.

Thanks.

Nick.

Udo

Supporter
Hi Nick, under my KVA rear clip, there is plenty of space for the 01E, no issue at all.

Regards, keep on building,

Udo

Udo

Supporter
After a week in NYC back to the build. The rear clip inner wheelhouses, which I build from aluminium sheets (I was naive enough to build them before I had the wheels on hand), still require front extensions, which I laminated during the past days. Fig 1 shows the already cut to shape on the right, left one still need some rework. Fitted to the clip with fibre maths prior to laminating can be seen in fig 2. Because of the low temperatures and the related long curing time, this will be part of my build days during the next weeks.

Since I also needed to enlarge the wheelhouse apertures in the rear clip and cut off the lateral flanges, they needed to get back there. To laminate them, foam negatives do a good job, fig 3. Fibre strips laminated on the foam will help to get is all back into the desired shape. I am considering to buy some more sandpaper for the jobs to come ...

More to follow,

Udo

3F030578-0926-4C1F-866B-F671B3C08EB3.jpeg

6D35D362-B379-4EDC-8FE6-81490515E075.jpeg

1D72BDCA-09D3-4756-8CC9-5CC822667846.jpeg

Udo

Supporter
Tried to again start the engine (it stopped operation as soon as a certain temperature has been reached), and it appeared that ignition distributor shaft collapsed, potentially during engine transport or installation. The new one is already ordered in the US, will take a week or so.

Therefore, plenty of time to complete (almost) rear clip work. Besides the front wheelhouse extensions, I spent some time with the wheelhouse aperture flanges. Fig 1 shows the status before, fig 2 after completion. This shall work now.

The KVA clip hasn‘t obviously been built for my eightstack injection, so again another aperture needed to be enlarged, also done, fig 3. Final cutout part lies still on the ground.

If everything goes well, next week Saturday is the day for then next engine start ...

More to follow,

Udo

C9476AD7-F5AF-485D-9857-8B311E2990AF.jpeg

34C10A64-622E-461B-8B20-A42EDEA52F27.jpeg

0E20CDB5-D183-4A5D-B379-B71FFAB36876.jpeg

NickD

Supporter
Great work Udo. Have been messing around with the Dashboard as I can do jobs like that inside where it is much warmer. Spent the two weeks before xmas in Thailand so have done virtually nothing this December. Jason and I also picked up an abandoned KVA/GTD project late in the year so we have lots of other jobs floating around on that to get stuck into.

Keep us posted on the engine start and post or drop me a video is possible. That would be a real milestone reached.

Best.

Nick.

Udo

Supporter
Great timing, great day: the new ignition distributor arrived on Friday, went into the engine on Saturday, and as a result, the engine now works perfectly: no unexpected shutdowns, no leakages, big achievement. The stream is available here:

Spend the rest of the day with surface finishing of the rear wheelhouse extensions, and it looks like I will use up all my filler during the next weeks to let it look Ok - the good old times are back.

More to follow,

Udo

Last edited:

NickD

Supporter
Great timing, great day: the new ignition distributor arrived on Friday, went into the engine on Saturday, and as a result, the engine now works perfectly: no unexpected shutdowns, no leakages, big achievement. The stream is available here:

Spend the rest of the day with surface finishing of the rear wheelhouse extensions, and it looks like I will use up all my filler during the next weeks to let it look Ok - the good old times are back.

More to follow,

Udo
Magic, well done Udo. A milestone indeed !

Nick.

Udo

Supporter
Some more work on the wheelhouse extensions in the rear clip. All necessary laminates in place, and well-known things to follow: filler application and grinding. The white dust is what I grinded off, and there are some more loops required, fig 1. During curing there were enough time slots to install the right valve cover (fig 2) with the welded Dash 16 adaptor - since I used the two openings in the left cover for breezing into the oil catch tank, that´s the only way to fill oil into the engine, and I don‘t want to use the dipstick hose for this job ...

More to follow,

Udo

22238A91-C481-46B1-A9C4-3D85A39E1899.jpeg

27C60ABE-BC9C-4250-B5F7-11C5DA09B098.jpeg

Udo

Supporter
Grinding and use of filler shows first results, fig 1. A few more weeks, and panels will go to the paint shop (potentially before summer).

My original plan to use a tiny and lightweight (16 Ah) battery didn‘t work, not enough energy to start the engine. Next trial is a 28 Ah version, still small, but strong enought (a good reason to start the engine another time). Fig 2 shows the new battery housing, ready to get installed next week.

More to follow,

Udo

206613F2-D507-4FCF-B839-4CAE77491241.jpeg

88ACC9DD-02CA-4C85-911D-4253C396DF2D.jpeg

Neil

Supporter
Udo;

In the past I used a small battery to start the engine in a mid-engine Corvair powered Sabel. Most of the time it worked OK if the engine started on the first spin but with so few amp-hours available the battery was quickly exhausted and I was stuck. Taking a lesson from that experience, I added a high-current external battery connector so that I could plug in a set of jumper cables to get it started.

Udo

Supporter
Filler and grinding work on the rear clip is completed, remaining work will be carried out by professionals in the paint shop. This is now the right time to care about thermal insulation for the clip, and I build pattern for the wheel houses, fig 1 (for the horizontal above the engine, work remains for next week).

The rear suspension appeared, after re-fitting the rear clip, very slow, so I heightened it by approx. 10mm (fig 2), which may be ok, or not. Time will show.

Final work needs to be done on the front clip. In my memories (or wishes?), the clip was close to finish, but releasing it from the car after a year or so, it became a matter of a few more grinding days (fig 3).

More (grinding) to follow,

Udo

A12AE690-A6B1-425A-9328-EB1145EE2978.jpeg

71EC7830-19B8-42AF-8371-43F168DC8AF7.jpeg

AC03BE40-62D8-4D2E-AAFC-6BBEC12B311A.jpeg

Udo

Supporter
Still working on the inner side of the front clip, but it is getting closer to finish, fig 1. Also, the drive shafts in loose parts have arrived, earlier as I expected, fig. 2, and they fit perfectly, fig. 3. Next is the tuning of the cable shifter, and than a first ride without panels . Pictures to come later ...

More to follow,

Udo

45B300D6-F387-46C0-90DB-AD6CC1E47A92.jpeg

41EBF047-FF9F-4379-9EEB-9A05ADD5EB99.jpeg

6C9485C5-3CCC-4FDF-BBAB-52DDD98524BA.jpeg

NickD

Supporter
Hi Udo, i’ve Sent a PM. Have just got my engine / gearbox into their final positions. Can you send pics of your gear change assy as you have the same GTRacing set up as me. A few pics around the cable and rod attachments on the new shaft and box and how you have mounted the cable plate close to the gearbox. Thanks.

Udo

Supporter
Worked a bit further and finished bodywork grinding, finally! Fig 1 showes tailored heat math for the rear clip, heavy stuff, should prevent body shell damage.

During the engine test runs, my exhaust has been moved to the right, so I cut off the silencers and brought them back into the correct position, and also attached the tail pipes, hoping for no further exhaust moves in the future.

More to follow,

Udo

2664360E-2744-4DD3-B0AA-7754758EE254.jpeg

5285BDDD-CA7E-49A0-A5F3-52FFB25CE1D5.jpeg

Udo

Supporter
Another milestone: Grinding is done, I took the panels to the paint shop. It will take some weeks, and I am going to visit the shop,from time to time ;-))

Still some work to be done on the chassis, like sealings and wiring. Fig 2 shows final situation at vehicle front with insulated cables - this should work.

More to follow,

Udo

8DC49D3B-1AC1-4395-B50A-8DBD1EA606F6.jpeg

A7B8E7B5-8184-480F-9347-A9AC9584AB6C.jpeg

Back