Whilst waiting for German TÜV to get the KVA/SGT street legal, I continued working on the Falcon. A lot of corrosion still on the car. One of the pre-owners decided to use large, wide rear wheels, removed the nicely curved original wheel arches and used a hell of a lot of putty, fig 1. I also detected five areas where the roof is completely corroded, remaining sheet metal thickness some per cent of a millimeter, or below, fig 2.
Still surprising is the excellent condition of the front floor and the sills, but some water got into the vehicle through the C-pillars, and the rear floor needed to be replaced in large pieces, fig 3.
As of toady, I am optimistic to have detected all corrosions issues, and will start working on new sheets in the next weeks (already bought a pneumatic punch- and joggling tool ).
Still waiting for the GT40 to come back from TÜV. In the meantime, I continued working on the Falcon, now almost completely stripped down, fig 1. Engine and „prone to breakage“ 1964 Toploader four speed are out, and the 289 engine will go out for refurb soon, fig 2. Also, more than 30 holes in the floor (for whatever reason they have been build) are now closed - a lot of welding, but that’s just the beginning.
Since the GT40 is still with German TÜV (rumors say that this went well and that the car will be ready during the next weeks), I continued working on the Falcon. Bought the typical plastic body parts for bonnets, fenders and doors, and the current build status is shown in fig 1. A lot of GT40 build memories, e.g. with too small doors and their extension work, fig 2. I will provide an update once the GT40 is really on the road.
My GT40 is still away for TÜV due to quarantine reasons, two more weeks minimum. To to continue working on the Falcon: both doors including locks are in the car, and both front and rear bumpers are also attached. Made of 1mm aluminium, this is really lightweight.
The GT40 is still with TÜV authorities, hard to believe, but I stay optimistic. The Falcon is back from the paint shop, and filler applied, looking much better, fig 1. I started with fitting of the right rear fender, fig 2, and this doesn‘t look too shabby. Welding will keep me busy during spring, maybe summer.
Besides waiting for the GT40 (inofficially, TÜV is done, paperwork still tbd) and welding on the Falcon, I finished the FIA-required fuel cell container, fig 1, capacity 120 litres. Since the stock radiator is too small, it got replaced by a larger version, fig 2, including an extension of the body opening. Oil cooling wasn‘t foreseen in the original cars at all, so I installed a related cooler, fig 3, plus breathing holes in the BIW, fig 4.
Latest rumors say that I will pick up the GT40 next weekend, let‘s see. Consequently, I could spent some more hours on the Falcon BIW work. The rear floor is closed in the meantime, fig 1, same for the front tunnel cover, fig 2. Parts are primered and sealed, and therefore ready. The biggest remaining tasks are the rear quarters. My initial plan was to work with repair sheets that just cover the wheel house, but I skipped this plan and bought really nice full rear quarters from the US, made in Taiwan (more than half around the world). Fig 3 shows the Falcon after stripping the old sheets off the car, and fig 4 gives the first impression how it will look like when all interfaces are correct. It is like the 24 hours of Le Mans: a long way to go ...
Finally, the GT40 is back from TÜV including historic license. Since the battery hasn‘t been loaded during the last month at the German authorities, the car will require some hours on the charger to be able to start the engine without third party help. I may apply some white stripes during the next days, and will enjoy 35 degree outside temperature without air condition