Lambo vs. Ford GT

I just received the new Autoweek mag and the cover had the new "Baby Lambo" Galardo on the cover. AWD, V10, 500bhp, 0-60 in 4.2 seconds and 192mph and all for $165K.

I've been on the fence regarding the new Ford GT since the news came out. Why would Ford build their version of a supercar based on a 40 year old platform? Don't get me wrong, the GT40 is timeless in it's history, performance and style. But, Ford had the opportunity to build a supercar that it's fans have been waiting for since, well, the original GT40.

We're gonna pay $185K as per one of our forum's member's thread. Maybe more. (I remember when the Viper RT/10 came out and Kevin Costner dropped $300K on one. 2 months later, he wrapped it.)

The Lambo is a better deal and it doesn't have a rear bumper. And, Ford better do something about those wheels...

Thanks for letting me vent.

I agree with you on this. I too just received my autoweek and the lambo is one hell of a machine. For about the same price as the Ford GT, or maybe for $20K more (but at that level it doesn't matter much), the Lambo is a better car. I don't think you can buy a better car at that price period. As for quality, it should be alot better than Ferrari. Also, if you want one, you can likely walk in a dealership and hae one in your hands within a few months. Ferraris, especially the 360 takes at least a yr to get and the spider is close to 3 yrs unless you want to pay a premium.

When I first saw the Ford GT concept, I fell in love. I wanted one badly and hoped for them to produce it at less than 100K. I soon realized that it would never go for that price and the wait and markup would be huge anyway. I bought a Viper to hold me off. If I were to spend around $150K for a car, you can bet it would be the Lambo.

Lets face it, and I've said this before, the new GT is nothing more than a marketing ploy! I know some might say it's not. But look at the facts:

1) Engine is derived from the same engine that is used in Ford pickup trucks. Mass produced engine - cheap as chips!

2) It's cheap to make too.

3) It's in limited numbers.

4) It uses the shape of the original 40 and nothing else.

I could go on! Great for Ford but not for consumers when their "GT investment" plumets.

The Lambo wins by miles. It is better made, faster, sounds heaps better (heard it at Goodwood), looks more dramatic and is more practical.

Regards,

J.P

Say what you will my friends but I would take the new Ford GT over the Lambo any (and every) day of the week! This goes for the MKI through MKIV's also! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Have fun!

John

VW/Lambo is a quite different from the old Lambo. This car will be a REAL contender and a much better car than the new
Ford GT. The new Ford GT IMHO is no different from the new T Bird. VW has won LeMans 4 times in the last 4 years. Their Audi and Bentley are the real deal and it looks like Lambo will be as well.
This car will be very serious competition for the 360 and their new Bugatti may blow ANY supercar ever built away.

[ QUOTE ]
The Lambo wins by miles. It is better made, faster, sounds heaps better (heard it at Goodwood), looks more dramatic and is more practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, a Lamborghini that's more practical than a Ford. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Why would Ford build their version of a supercar based on a 40 year old platform? Don't get me wrong, the GT40 is timeless in it's history, performance and style. But, Ford had the opportunity to build a supercar that it's fans have been waiting for since, well, the original GT40.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new GT isn't based on a 40 year old platform. It's body style is. Because it is timeless and still desirable. Look at so many other "Supercars". They are just plain ugly. Efficient, but ugly.

[ QUOTE ]
For about the same price as the Ford GT, or maybe for $20K more (but at that level it doesn't matter much), the Lambo is a better car.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why don't we wait until both cars are in production until we make that judgement?

[ QUOTE ]
As for quality, it should be alot better than Ferrari.

[/ QUOTE ]
The trouble with Italian cars is, well, they are made in Italy by Italians. Why do you think there are no more Fiats sold in the U.S.? Why do you think Ferraris and Lambos have the "expensive to maintain" reps? Saying that a Lambo shouldn't be as expensive to maintain as a Ferrari is not a big deal. Any car should be less expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
When I first saw the Ford GT concept, I fell in love. I wanted one badly and hoped for them to produce it at less than 100K. I soon realized that it would never go for that price and the wait and markup would be huge anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]
The Thunderbird was a great concept. It was killed by the greedy dealers that marked them up so high that sales suffered. Lets hope that doesn't happen with the GT. Ford should institute a policy that if a dealer wants to sell a GT, then they can't mark up suggested retail.

[ QUOTE ]
the new GT is nothing more than a marketing ploy!

[/ QUOTE ]
If it produces a desireable car, what is wrong with that?

[ QUOTE ]
1) Engine is derived from the same engine that is used in Ford pickup trucks. Mass produced engine - cheap as chips!

[/ QUOTE ]
What is wrong with that? Available parts, available service centers, aftermarket upgrades, etc. Less expensive is good, not bad. And that mass produced engine, have you seen what the engine has done in GrandAM prototype class competition, beating Porsche, BMW, and the rest? In the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona, they were 1st in class and 4th overall. And this is with broken throttle return springs and cracked exhaust header that caused them to play catch-up.

[ QUOTE ]
2) It's cheap to make too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it is compared to a Bugatti. But not to other Fords. It is quite expensive. Again, the cheaper, the better. A good thing.

[ QUOTE ]
3) It's in limited numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good - exclusive. Bad - hard to get.

[ QUOTE ]
4) It uses the shape of the original 40 and nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]
I look at this as good. The original shape is far better than most exotics. But this is subjective.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I say lets wait until both cars are in production before making these assumptions.

[ QUOTE ]
VW owning Lambo is a whole different kettle of fish as those that lost to their Audi's and Bentley's found out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you are right. Time will tell with the road-going cars. The more choices, the better. And please, everyone don't get me wrong. I love the new Lambo. It is on my "to see list" with the GT and the new 2-seat V-8 Aston Martin.

But if I was to choose a GT for my personal car, it would probably be a RF built by Levy Racing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Okay, now you're talking my language! I buy and sell 30-40 luxury and exotic cars a month, WHOLESALE mostly. You say greedy dealers? Who do you think we buy those cars for? The end user that says, "I want one of those and I'll pay a premium" they're you're culprits. You know who I'm talking about, the person that's worth 30-40 million or more and buys 6-10 cars a year just because they can! When I can buy a brand new perfect car at the dealer, take it to the wholesale auction and make $, no matter how much it is, should I restrain myself? Does this make me "GREEDY", or opportunistic. If I offered you a 2003 360 Spyder for MSRP would YOU buy it? If so, why? HMMMM, would you resell it for a profit, or just drive it and trade it in later for a loss? Does this make YOU greedy? Please help with my confusion.

One last thing, supply and demand, have we forgotten this principal?

[ QUOTE ]
I buy and sell 30-40 luxury and exotic cars a month, WHOLESALE mostly. You say greedy dealers? Who do you think we buy those cars for? The end user that says, "I want one of those and I'll pay a premium" they're you're culprits. You know who I'm talking about, the person that's worth 30-40 million or more and buys 6-10 cars a year just because they can! When I can buy a brand new perfect car at the dealer, take it to the wholesale auction and make $, no matter how much it is, should I restrain myself? Does this make me "GREEDY", or opportunistic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opportunistic? Yes, you are, as any good businessman is. Greedy? Well, I'm not in a position to judge you or your business. You, however, are not a Ford dealer, so when you ask for $70,000 over sticker for a Ford GT you're not projecting quite the same image as someone who is supposed to represent Ford Motor Company.

In all honesty, I don't blame you or anyone else who makes their living from impatient, materialistic men who, as PT Barnum said, were born at the rate of one per minute.

Care to tell us how you get hold of exotic cars at wholesale? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

While it is true, I am not a Ford dealer, many of my friends are, remember, the window sticker says MSRP, Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price! Now if a car doesn't seem to be selling well everyone wants a discount right? Why shouldn't a dealer have the right to get what the MARKET decides a car is worth?

My inventory is mostly from fellow Highline dealers that call me to bid incoming trade-ins, if I know my product and bid enough they sell it to me. Maybe 15-20% comes from the wholesale auto auction. Having been in the industry for 17 years you either build a good or bad reputation, the better the reputation the more bid opportunities you get! Word gets around FAST either way, it's really a small group of people that handle most of the highline cars in the entire country. A very fun business, now that I'm through the barriers to entry.

There is something in the back of my mind that says if a dealer jacks up the price higher than MSRP then he is losing a valuable selling asset known as trustworthiness. He is also elimenating people who could afford the new GT at the MSRP. Now it's only available to those that have megabucks. They become the ones who get these cars. Yeah, I know, it's all legal to do but morally it's wrong and they know it. They won't have to worry about financing these new GT's cause they will be bought with cash.
Personally I think the dealers should be required to submit sealed bids to the manufacturer for how much and how many over MSRP they will pay. Highest bid sets the price and the dealer has to share with the manufacturer who deserves it. When the dealer then gets his allotment then he can try and get his above MSRP from the megabucks people.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]

1) Engine is derived from the same engine that is used in Ford pickup trucks. Mass produced engine - cheap as chips!Regards,

J.P

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the modular motors, anyone who knows me knows that is true, but where the motor comes from doesn't make any difference if it is a good motor.

For instance, the 427 SO is a great motor, but it is from Fords lowly FE series of V8s and any old 390 truck heads and intake will bolt right on the block. I don't think anyone will argue that the 427 SO didn't get the job done.

I think the mod motors are too large, too heavy, and overly complex for their output, but, I think they'll work well in this application. Plus, as a production engine it'll be fairly conservative with respect to boost and hp. So, like the current supercharged mod motors in the Lightning and Cobra, they should be relatively easy to improve. There are a lot of Cobras and Lightnings making over 470 dyno validated rwhp (Check it out over on The Corral) with little more than a pulley swap and exhaust change. And, they seem to stand up to punishment.

If the new GT motor can do something similar I don't imagine it will make a difference if it came from a tractor - the Ferrari/Viper/Porsche guys are going to be having a view of the rear.

Still rather have a lightweight pushrod motor making similar or more hp.

R

Not the Enzo guys. 0-100-0 in 11.2. The Gallardo will probably be a bit faster as well but the real key to me will be does it work as a car? Can you and your sig. other hop in and happily drive off 600 miles together? This new one will have no more history than an RF,Cav,ERA,etc,etc.
For the $ a well done replica like many that many of you own may be a better car. It may drive just as well and be just as quick. Have you driven a new Ford lately? I personally think Ferrari should be more worried about VW/Lambo than today's Ford.

I agree with the manufacturer sharing in the profit! The problem for dealers are as follows, a customer agrees to buy a car for list and keep it, he then turns it for a quick profit to someone the dealer could have sold it to! This is what happens over and over, morals? Most of the customers have the problem with that! I promise I won't resell it, then that's just what he does! Many of the manufacturers penalize the dealer that sells a car to anyone like this, even if they sell it for MSRP, not over.

It's a tough deal for everyone envolved, I think Ferrari did the best job with this when they did the Lease only on the F50! Just asking for everyone to consider the issue from all sides. OK I'm done rattling. Thanks for all those envolved with making the Forum function, including all the participants.

Scott,
Being a salesman or an agent in the auto industry is an honorable profession. It is only the one that sell out his integrity that should suffer. Always be fair and you will be seen as fair.
My old drill instructor used to say that 10% of everything is bad. He may have a point. I am a retired police officer. Need I say more about the critisizm police officers take on a whole.
I remember an old survey about the less trustworthy occupations and I recall this line up.

Carny worker
insurance salesman
used car salesman
undertaker

I'm sure there are many others that were on the list but I remember these. Point is they were on the list because the unscrupilous ones made it that way causing the whole to suffer the brunt of the bad reputation.
I guess the moral of the story is know who you deal with and make sure they have good credentials.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hersh,

We're on the same page! The industry has been very good to us, and we have made every effort to return the favor. Dealing with honorable people is always a pleasure. Looking forward to building new relationships within the Forum, thanks for the interaction.

Back