Lap Counter?

I've been told by Lee Holman that he made his own on car lap counter/computer using a 9 volt battery to power it and by the early 60's IBM had introduced a race lap computer. Question is..... is there any photos of either one?
Thanks

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
This is the only one I've used...
1624309974292.png

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, I was being a little light hearted... I did however go onto the interweb and searched for any information and came back with nothing.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Larry,
IBM released the company's first portable computer in about 1977 so Lee's "computer" might be something different.
So called portable in those days but you needed a pretty strong table to sit it upon.
I remember using the Model 5100 on offshore oil rig construction back in the day.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Didn't ford use a data logger around Le Mans which recorded revs, throttle, brakes and gearchanges which they then used for engine run simulations for a full 24 hours? in the mid 60's this was considered witchcraft!! Its the same one that Christian Bale ripped out in the film, although I knew I couldn't watch the film in the cinema as I was shouting at the screen in the first few seconds of the trailer as I saw an anodised gearbox pump on the rear of the box....and it didn't stop there.... I think I have a few articles on the engine simulator and will look through them to see if there is any reference to a lap counter.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
and I have a picture of a computer working in 1944!!!!
1624365649992.png

..with a jaw-dropping 1500 bits (187bytes and a nibble) of memory, but what was it called?

Scrutineering was moved from the Place des Jacobins in Le Mans city to the circuit. Finally, this year the ACO trialled a new IBM race-timing computer system (which had a few teething problems

Information from 1961 le mans

Scrutineering was moved from the Place des Jacobins in Le Mans city to the circuit. Finally, this year the ACO trialled a new IBM race-timing computer system (which had a few teething problems
Yes, I was being a little light hearted... I did however go onto the interweb and searched for any information and came back with nothing.

Back