Le Mans Classic 2010

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Guys

We need the support
To get this slot will cost Eur20 000
So we need 100 cars at the £200 each (To allow for euro swings)
The organisers will allow
GT40
Lola T70
Ford GT (2005 - 2006)
Porsche 917
And possibly Pantera (Still fighting that one but pretty good chance)

So we currently have 28 people who have sent payment (Not yet processed unless this does not happen)

What is wrong - is this type of thing not wanted by the majority of GT40 owners? Is the price too high?
Or something else?

Hell the amount of time and effort I have put in trying to get this to happen and this response really dissapoints.

Ok rant over
Say what you think - back it up with your £££££ or we'll have to pull out

Ian

Ian

At the Northwest meeting wed night we had a good chat about the Classic and the track time. Myself, Mike Pass, Edge Ferguson, Pete Thompson, Steve Barker, John Bate, Kevin Farrington and a few others will be sending payment soon if not already done so. This is an opportunity not to be missed.

Regards Martin Gough.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Ian,
Many thanks once again. My cheque is in the post. Just letting you know it's on the way as the post is a bit iffy at the moment.
Cheers
Mike

Max Walter

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Sorry I didn't get to call you back over the weekend, we ended up spending much more time travelling around to various engagements than anticipated and didn't get back home until nearly midnight yesterday.

We discussed this, but it highlighted that there are a number of significant reasons why we may yet not be able to make the classic at all. This includes the fact that having just got married and thinking of starting a family it could end up that Maxine is significantly pregnant by the time the classic happens, but we won't know that for some time yet. This is a pretty tricky one to call.

Where would we stand with this if we commit to it now, but then don't actually make it at all? I would imagine there may well be chance of selling the slot on to someone else who isn't sure at the moment, but will that be allowable?

Sorry to be indecisive but, in answer to your previous question, yes it is actually quite expensive. My car is not a great track car, and I don't look to push it or myself, so have never yet gone for any real 'track laps' as opposed to 'parade laps', so feel a little that I would be committing myself for the benefit of others who really want to do this to ensure the club gets this slot. Having said that, I have had plenty of assistance and support from members of the club in the past, so also feel I should do this to return the favours.

Just running through my thoughts so you can appreciate my position...

Max

Hi to maxiboy. Just a few thoughts for you to mull over. The parade laps anywhere are great but the thought of driving a forty at LE-MAN even at motorway cruising speed must be a hard thing to give up.Not everybody wants to try and beat dan gurney.I don't have the talent or the nerve so I will go as fast as I CAN while in my comfort zone ie quite slow so if you can make it we could tour round together allthe best Paul c

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi People

Places still available and we need to get firm numbers or lose the slot!

We have a good number but more would be better

the organisers are looking to take half of the potential slots away if we don't get moving quickly so that will lilit the GT40's and Ford GT's drastically!

Get your cheques / details in to Tim
Details Here GT40 Enthusiasts Club

Ian

Ian - my nephews going at the same time as me in a Lotus Evora - he'd have a place if you'd let him and join the club. Better than losing the slot? What do members think?

Ian - my nephews going at the same time as me in a Lotus Evora - he'd have a place if you'd let him and join the club. Better than losing the slot? What do members think?

I think Ian made it clear in his post on 6th November that only specific cars are allowed on the track by the Le Mans authorities, and neither my Noble, nor a Lotus Evora would be eligible, so it doesn't matter what club members think!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Richard

Chris has it in one!

The organisers are "deciding" what other cars will be allowed on the track with us

I made a good few suggestions but they said NO to them all - I believe at present they are tossing up between De Tomasso / Pantera / Mangusta and Lamos's

Until that decision is made I cannot confirm anything more but I would expect the Lotus would be ruled out

Other track laps on the Saturday are available at £120 for 2 laps and expect 250 plus cars on the track per session

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
If they get 250 cars on the 'other sessions' on Saturday, that equates to £15,000 per lap for the ACO. Maybe I'm a bit daft but not that daft. For £60 per lap I would not expect more than about 50 cars. 250 is almost a traffic jam or could well be.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave

Last year I was sitting at Tetre Rouge and watched the Porsches coming off
I stopped counting at 280 and they were still coming crawling around and off on the Bugatti circuit.

And yes last year the Saturday parade laps were a bit scary in some corners when Healies etc decided to stop in the chiccaine to take photos of the cars coming down! Try 150mph to stop on the Mulsane straight - about 75yds short of the corner to join the queue in 1st gear!

And I do believe they are using the laps as a big money making session.
They have gone up from £70 to £120 and not all of that can be put down to exchange rate movement
Ian

Chris Edwards ''I think Ian made it clear in his post on 6th November that only specific cars are allowed on the track by the Le Mans authorities, and neither my Noble, nor a Lotus Evora would be eligible, so it doesn't matter what club members think!''

Fair enough - I stand corrected. Could have been a bit more friendly with the way you put it. Don't know about you Noble owners but we GT40 owners are a friendly bunch.

Hi Dave
I'm with you on this, if you get too many on track at once, plus one or two idiots trying to break the lap record (as we had at the last classic) then that is a recipe for disaster, and someone will end up with a bent motor.

They need to keep the numbers reasonable with equally matched vehicles

regards

Chris.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I'm lucky in as much as I get to drive around the full circuit for a few laps before the 24hr - but only if I want to. The last few years I haven't bothered. It's not quite as evocative in a Mercedes Sprinter van anyway and often there are workers putting the finishing touches to the armco so although the van is the high power 316 version and is chipped and does 115mph (allegedly) I'm limited to 30 Km/h. making my lap time about 25 minutes give or take 5 minutes.
This is on full wets by the way with no canards and a circular plate type television aerial on the roof and a full awning on the left hand side (stowed obviously). I don't think my times get any better in the dry.

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I am confused (I know its easy at my age) with the "normal" track laps and the "extra" half hour session - are you saying that the "normal" "parade" laps are still up in the air and that the authorities havent decided yet whether the '40s can go on?
Can someone put it in idiot language that even I can understand?

Although "Le Classique" is the place to be seen and meet all you guys, and I enjoy myself immensely, there are only so many hoops to be jumped through. It seems, at the moment, if I understand it correctly, that the authorities are taking the urine, although the exchange rate isnt helping either, the increase in numbers attending over the last few years is now considered a "cash crop" by them that hold the tickets.

I hope I have got it completely wrong. Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Back