Le Mans - who's going?

Le Mans - who\'s going?

OK, It's my faveourite time of year! the build up to Le Mans... I'm off on Wednesday night, catching the night ferry & arriving at Le Mans sometime Thursday afternoon.

So following a blast across France's open roads, stopping occasionally for some fine French food, it'll be three days solid of Racing, beer drinking, partying & more beer drinking! IMO the best motorsport event in the world!

anyone else here going? I'm driving my Lotus across & camping in Houx Annexe..

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Re: Le Mans - who\'s going?

Julian,

I will see you there. My car arived in south France almost a week ago and is being taken to Le Mans on Monday. I fly out of Australia tomorrow and will get to Le Mans on Tuesday. My twin brother and his son are traveling from Ireland mid next week and Carroll Smith will be geting into Le Mans on Wednesday with his girlfriend Ginger. We are all staying with the party organised by Ken Saunders and I look forward to seeing you all at the HOME OF SPORTSCAR RACING.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hi Julian

I am going to Le Mans and here is the letter from Ken Saunders that gives times and places, that you may find usefull.
GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Le Mans 2002

We will be staying with my friend Patrick de Saevsky at his private residence, the Chateau de la Fontaine. 49430 Montigne-les-Rairies. Which is located approximately 30 miles south of the Le Mans circuit. I shall be at the Chateau as from Saturday 8th June until Monday 17th June. Whilst at the Chateau and during Le Mans week I can be contacted on my mobile telephone. Please note if you are calling any of my telephone numbers from outside of France you will have to dial the international code first (00 33) and then leave off the leading zero of the number. The telephone number of the Chateau should you require it is 02 41 32 52 39.

The 24 hours circuit at Le Mans is best reached from the Chateau by going via Durtal and then north along the N23 via La Fleche to Le Mans, as you approach Le Mans remain on the N23 and the road will take you past the airfield on your right hand side, the 24 hours circuit can be seen across the airfield and the sign posts will direct you to the garage rouge (reserved) which is located at the left hand of the traffic lights directly opposite the Museum at the main entrance to the Le Mans circuit.

Consequently to find the Chateau from Le Mans, take the N23 towards Angers and Saumur, when you reach Durtal you pass over a bridge over the river and take the next turning to the left along the D18 to Montigne-les-Rairies. At the church in the centre of town turn left as if you were visiting the church and then immediately right in front of the church and first left, this brings you to the gates of the Chateau.

On Friday 14th June we traditionally visit the 24 hours circuit in the morning and take advantage of the access to the pits area to view the cars and teams competing in this years events. Later at 12 noon we meet up at the Chinese Café on the Mulsanne straight where traditionally all the interesting cars are paraded, much to the discontent of the local police as this invariably bring traffic on this main road N138 (E 502) between Le Mans and Tours to a near stand still. Following on from this we usually go to Arnage village to get a lunch time snack prior to assembling to participate in the Grande Parade des Pilotes.

On Friday 14th June we will be taking part in the Grande Parade des Pilotes in the city centre of Le Mans. The parade starts off at 6pm, however you are requested to be at the assembly point at least one hour before and I would recommend at least two hours before as the traffic can be very difficult and roads around the area will be closed to allow the parade to take place. The assembly point for the parade is the car park opposite the Cathedral and on the right hand side of the car park marked Jacobins on the map below.

Ken Saunders
Forty Towers. http://www.forty-towers.claranet.fr
[email protected]
And
GT40 Enthusiasts Club http://www.gt40club.clara.net
[email protected]

See you there

Chris Melia
My Mobile No is 07775880657
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ June 08, 2002: Message edited by: Chris Melia ]

Hi Chris,

Nice itinery! I'll try & get to the Chinese cafe at 12 on Friday. I'll be in my Green Lotus Elise...

Will you be in your Mk3? I'll look out for you.. there will probably be plenty of Elise's, but I reckon GT40's will be a bit more scarce!
wink.gif

Regards,

Hi Julian

I expect up to 10 GT40s, and yes I will be there in my MK3. Channel 5 TV will be making a program about our trip.

Regards

Chris

IS the Channel 5 thing as part of that build-a-car series with Amanda Stretton ? Sounds like its going to be great fun

Hi all

I will post on my return from Le Mans with more info and photo's.
I know Dave Guest from Thunderbird Racing is running the workshop for the channel five build program, over in Birmingham.
Regards

Chris

Back