24h du Le Mans 2006

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Audi Announcement – Le Mans and ALMS
Ingolstadt, 01 March 2006
Audi names driver teams for Le Mans· Six Le Mans winners steer both Audi R10 racers · Debut for diesel sportscar on 18 March at Sebring · 12 Hours of Sebring as dress rehearsal for Le Mans Audi competes at the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 17/18 June with a brace of high-calibre driving squads. Six seasoned campaigners, who have all won the French endurance classic at least once and collectively lay claim to 17 Le Mans victories, sit at the wheel of the two Audi R10 sportscars. Driver pairing: Frank Biela (D), Emanuele Pirro (I) and Marco Werner (D) form one team. Dindo Capello (I), Le Mans record winner Tom Kristensen /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif(DK) and Allan McNish (GB) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif share the cockpit of the sister Audi R10. "Our goal was to put together two equally competitive teams for each R10,” explains Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich. "We were able to choose from six Le Mans winners who have been successful for Audi in every conceivable permutation. We opted for a combination which we consider to be perfect for both cars.” Audi Sport North America’s team also fields exactly the same driver line-up on 18 March at the 12-hour race at Sebring (Florida), which acts as dress rehearsal for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. The most important race on the calendar in the USA is, at the same time, also the opening race of the 2006 American Le Mans Series (ALMS).

Communication Motorsport [email protected] Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Reasons to be cheerful:
Johny Herbert may drive if Zytec can field a second car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
AUDI AG
Kommunikation
85045 Ingolstadt
www.audi.com
1/3
Sebring, 16 March 2006
Motorsport
Audi R10 TDI takes pole position on début
• Allan McNish sets new track record at Sebring
• Marco Werner second fastest in qualifying
• First ever pole position for a Diesel sportscar
The new Audi R10 TDI has written a piece of motorsport history making its début
at Sebring (USA): For the first time ever, a diesel powered car has claimed pole
position in a sportscar race. In Thursday’s qualifying session, Scotland’s Allan
McNish broke the track record by over two seconds, impressively underlining the
performance of the modern Audi TDI technology.
Setting the second-best time, Marco Werner guaranteed that both new Audi R10
TDI prototypes will start from the front row on Saturday at 10:43 a.m. local time
(4:43 p.m. in Germany). Because of an electronics problem, the German could
record only one timed lap moving from last spot to second position shortly before
the end of qualifying.
The 12 Hours of Sebring is the most prestigious sportscar race in America, the
season opener of the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) and for Audi Sport, first
and foremost, a test race for the 24 Hours of Le Mans on 17/18 June. In qualifying,
the Audi R10 TDI proved to be fast. It will, however, be an even bigger challenge
to survive the 12-hour distance on a track which is especially tough for the
material.
Quotes after qualifying at Sebring
Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): “In qualifying, Allan McNish
has achieved an impressive track record with the new R10 TDI. That said, we
know we still have a lot of work to do before Le Mans because we had a sensor
problem with the number #1 car. Marco achieved second place despite that with a
single lap, which was a strong performance. The whole team has worked hard.”
AUDI AG
Kommunikation
85045 Ingolstadt
www.audi.com
2/3
Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #2): “This is the best result we could dream of in
qualifying. Now Audi and the R10 TDI are in the motorsport history books with
the first diesel car on pole position in a sportscar race. Congratulations to Allan
(McNish) who did a fantastic lap. And congratulations to Audi who proved once
again that if they start something new they know what to do.”
Tom Kristensen (Audi R10 TDI #2): “An all Audi front row shows clearly the
potential we have in our hands with the Audi R10 TDI. It’s perfect to have the new
diesel technology on pole on its début. But nevertheless the race is long. Today we
could see with our ‘sister’ car how dangerous the smallest problem can be.”
Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #2): “Although qualifying doesn’t mean so much
in a 12-hour race, it is great to start from pole position on the début of the Audi
R10 TDI and the TDI technology. The car ran fantastically well. I was able to push
from the very beginning and set the time within three laps. So I could save the
tyres for the race itself.”
Frank Biela (Audi R10 TDI #1): “We already came to Sebring with a good car
and since then made further steps forward. Today we had bad luck because we
suffered from some electronic problems which seem to have appeared overnight
and stopped us in qualifying. But we will sort this out during the next practice
sessions.”
Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #1): “Our priority now is to fix the electronics
problem which stopped us this morning and prevented Marco (Werner) to do a
better qualifying lap. Despite that he managed to put our R10 TDI in to second
place so that we have a good position for the race. And I’m sure that our
technicians will find the problem for the race.”
Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI #1): “After a week without any troubles the
problem came just in time for qualifying! Now we have to search for the reason.
Thank goodness we still have some time until the race on Saturday. We are lucky
to have both cars on the front row although my lap was very difficult.”
Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director, Team Audi Sport North America): “The
problems with the #1 car were a little strange. A few minutes before qualifying
everything seemed to be all right but then Marco (Werner) lost a lot of time in the
AUDI AG
Kommunikation
85045 Ingolstadt
www.audi.com
3/3
pits. That he still managed to do such a strong lap deserves great credit. We put
bets on Allan’s lap time before qualifying, but even the best one was more than
one second over his real time.”
Communication Motorsport

E-Mail [email protected]
Photographs of the Audi R10 TDI at Sebring, sound bites and additional
information to download at: www.audi-motorsport.info (accreditation necessary)

I shall be running #1005 at the Le mans classic in July, so if you want to come over for a chat at sometime feel free to do so.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Paul,
Welcome to the GT40s.com website. Thank you for the invitation for a chat - I'm sure many of the guys will be
picking your brains all that weekend. Where are you located in the UK?
Dave M

Thanks for your welcome Dave, I'm located in Essex. The car should also be running seven rounds of the FIA in Europe as well as various home events,

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Paul,
If you're up west or around this side of town , let me know - mobile is 07767 450989 and I'm in Marlow - J4 on the M40 or M4 J8/9 about 20 miles on from LHR.
Dave M

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
David,
Thanks for posting the Audi release. Cool stuff.
Unfortunately speed channel will not be airing the whole race, it will be split and filled with some Nascar crap.

My fellow Bosch employees and I will be glued to whatever does get aired.......

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Rob,
If you really want I could try and organise a Skype camera so you could follow it on a UK TV. Don't know what the image will turn out like, but Skype audio is usually awesome i.e. talking with Fran it's like he's in the room here. However, I need to check our program scheduling as well.
Dave M

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Info From Alan McNish

Televised Live on Motors TV - should be an exciting weekend. Saturday UK timings are 15.00 - 17.00,18.30 - 23.30
00.30 - 04.00 / or live on SKY radio channel 157 15.00 - 03.00 / or race live on www.americanlemans.com site.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Iggolstadt, 19 March 2006

Audi triumphs with Diesel power at Sebring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

First victory for a Diesel sportscar
Tom Kristensen achieves another record
V12 TDI engine writes motorsport history

The new Audi R10 TDI has immediately written motorsport history in its first outing: Dindo Capello (Italy) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif, Tom Kristensen (Denmark) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/flehan.gif and Allan McNish (Scotland) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif won the 12-hour race at Sebring (USA) achieving the first ever victory of a Diesel powered sportscar. Tom Kristensen became the first driver to win America’s most famous endurance race for a fourth time, achieving another record after his record seventh Le Mans victory from last year.

30 degrees Celsius in the shade, high humidity and asphalt temperatures reaching up to 43 degrees, caused especially difficult circumstances on the Florida track which is one of the most demanding in the world. Allan McNish had already shown the potential of the 650-hp V12 TDI engine with a record-breaking pole position time in qualifying. Because the heat exchanger had to be replaced after the morning warm-up, Dindo Capello was forced to start the number two R10 TDI from the pit-lane starting his chase from the back of the field.

It took Capello only half an hour before he had moved from 35th and last position to second just behind the sister car of Frank Biela. Shortly before the end of the second hour, the Italian took the lead, which the number two R10 TDI kept until the finish. Only changing the fuel filter and two loose wheel nuts caused unscheduled pit-stops.

The number one Audi R10 TDI that had clearly led the race for the first two hours did not reach the finish. The car driven by Frank Biela (Germany), Emanuele Pirro (Italy) and Marco Werner (Germany) was withdrawn just before one-third distance due to an overheated engine.

The reason: Shortly after the start of the race, the telemetry system of car number one, that transmits the data from the car to the pits, had stopped working. As a consequence, Audi Sport’s engine technicians had no data at all for the whole distance. When Marco Werner reported high water temperatures via radio during the fourth hour of the race, the second placed R10 TDI was called into the pits. The team discovered radiators completely blocked by tyre rubber. After cleaning the radiators, the temperatures sank immediately. However, Team Audi Sport North America decided to precautionary withdraw the second placed R10 TDI from the race because the engine had been running with significantly high temperatures for an extended period.

Quotes after the race at Sebring

Prof Dr Martin Winterkorn, Chairman of the Board of AUDI AG: "Audi has once again written motorsport history, this time by being the first manufacturer to win an endurance race with a diesel powered sportscar. This impressively confirms the efficiency of the modern TDI technology. It is especially remarkable that this success was achieved at the very first race of the new Audi R10 TDI. The whole team from Audi Sport and the Technical Development of Audi has once again done a great job. I thank everyone who is participating in this ambitious project.”

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "This has been a very tough race and thus a good test for Le Mans. To get the first victory for a TDI engine after our pole position is fantastic. We showed today what’s in our new sportscar with a Diesel engine. Thanks to the whole crew from Audi Sport and Team Joest. Of course it is a shame that we couldn’t bring both cars to the finish. But we learned a lot today and know that it is still a long way to Le Mans.”

Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #2): "Audi has again done something extraordinary. With this victory we really make a new chapter about motorsport history. It reminds me when Audi started rallying with the quattro to show that four-wheel drive is good not only for farm vehicles. When Audi announced it would go racing with a Diesel engine, maybe many people did not take us seriously. But I think now they will not laugh anymore about us.”

Tom Kristensen (Audi R10 TDI #2): "Audi had the courage to put such a young car into a race at an early stage. It paid off. I know how many people have been working very hard for this and I would like to thank all of them. I have to say many thanks especially to the mechanics. What they did after the warm-up was a job which normally is not done in this short amount of time. Thanks also to my colleagues Allan and Dindo who drove very well. Crossing the finish line was a historic moment for the Diesel technology. I know that Audi has a good image in America. I’m sure the image of Audi TDI will be soon as good in the US.”

Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #2): "The whole team should be very proud - we have created a little piece of history. In a few years time, people will look back and realise this was a monumental moment, not only in Audi Sport history, but also in motorsport where the first ever Diesel engine won an international race. We all worked very hard for this one. And we will all be celebrating a lot tonight. ”

Frank Biela (Audi R10 TDI #1): "The first victory with a Diesel engine and for the R10 TDI is a great story. Especially if you have in mind that we had not so much time. The roll-out happened quite recently. You can only take your hat off to Audi Sport for this achievement. We had a superb car at the beginning of the race. But things like this can happen, that’s racing. Now we have to keep our heads up, look forward, show the same performance at Le Mans and finish the race there.”

Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #1): "In motor racing you can have mechanical problems sometimes. Of course there is sadness for us because a little problem prevented us from having a good battle for the win. Despite that, it has been a positive weekend. One of the two cars won its first race, this is a big achievement and a big reward for all the work all of us did in developing the R10 TDI. I keep my full confidence for the very big race which is Le Mans.”

Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI #1): "We had good race speed, and as long we were in the race, things went without problems. Of course it is a shame we had to stop prematurely. Despite that, my thanks to Audi and Team Joest. The boys had a lot of work this weekend. Audi faced stiff competition after such a short period of testing. Others often don’t have the courage to do this in public.”

Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director, Team Audi Sport North America): "We are happy about the success because we have been working extremely hard for that. It’s even more important we learned a lot of things - we can take home a long list and work towards Le Mans. This will happen with a lot of joy because we have seen the potential the R10 TDI has and that the concept is right. Losing one car very early was not nice, and I really feel sorry for the guys of car number one. They also worked through many nights.” /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Error in Previous post - LM2006

The race actually starts at 17:00hrs this year and not it's customary 16:00hrs. Reason: Football.
Motors TV are apparently going to cover the race in it's entirety.
For anyone under canvas this year, reasonably high probability of rain from mid week.
Details for Radio Le Mans from their site:

If you're at Le Mans, then all you need is an FM radio, tuned in to 91.2MHz. We'll be on air from Tuesday 13th until Monday 19th June.

If you're in the UK or Ireland, you can listen live via Globecast Radio on the SkyDigital satellite platform, channel 0157.

Or you can listen online here at www.radiolemans.com or at www.0157.org.

Finally, this year we will be producing a Le Mans 24 hour race podcast for the first time, so if you miss anything, you can go back and listen again.

We're investigating new ways for you to listen all the time, so watch this space!

So now you know!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Radio Le Mans/RaceMet Radar Systems

Audi Motorsport have approved a live radio link between Radio Le Mans and my operation, RaceMet Radar Systems. There will obviously be no information on that link that could be of any use by any other team but we will aim to make some useful general remarks about what is going on weather wise.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ingolstadt/Le Mans, 15 June 2006

Audi R10 TDI cars provisionally on second row

First qualifying at Le Mans held in heavy rain
Track conditions extremely treacherous
Final grid positions likely to be set on Thursday night

The two Audi R10 TDI sportscars of Audi Sport Team Joest hold third and fourth positions respectively after the first qualifying session for the Le Mans 24 Hour race (France). With the session being held in extremely difficult weather conditions on Wednesday evening, the Audi drivers concentrated fully on completing the required number of laps enforced by the regulations so as to fulfil the terms for qualifying for the race. This includes a minimum of three laps per driver at night.

Having been dominated by searing summer heat for days in the Le Mans region of France, rain set in on Wednesday evening at 1900 hrs just in time for qualifying. Thereafter, conditions kept changing, with the track remaining wet and slippery throughout the four hours of the session. As more favourable weather has been forecast for the final qualifying session on Thursday, the Audi drivers did not take unnecessary risks, especially as both Audi R10 TDI cars were equipped with their "race” engines already.

On Wednesday, many spins and off-track excursions showed how slippery the track was. The Audi Team was no exception either. In the final hour, Dindo Capello spun off at the "Tertre Rouge” S corners and touched the barriers. His Audi R10 TDI incurred slight damage on the right rear suspension and will be back on track on Thursday.

The Le Mans grid positions will be finally decided on Thursday night in the second qualifying from 1900 hrs to 2100 hrs and from 2200 hrs to 2400 hrs. The race will start on Saturday at 1700 hrs.

Quotes after first qualifying

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "All in all I draw a positive conclusion as both cars were in the top-four on the time sheets all of the time. We concentrated on finding a good balance for the special circumstances on the wet circuit here at Le Mans. Today it was difficult for all drivers as they found completely different grip levels in the various parts of the track. If it’s raining again tomorrow we will go on working on the perfect set-up for these conditions. If it is dry, we will do some fine tuning for the race.”

Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #7): "The day for me was not so busy. At the beginning I just did my mandatory laps at night. When I joined the track again later, I aquaplaned off on a slippery corner. I’m sorry for the team because I gave them some extra work. But I hope I will pay them back tomorrow evening with a strong performance.”

Tom Kristensen (Audi R10 TDI #7): "After so much sunshine, the weather turned into two rainy sessions tonight. We were curious how our Audi R10 TDI would feel under wet conditions but we found a good balance very quickly. The car produces a lot of downforce and the TDI engine has a huge amount of power. Despite the difficult conditions I enjoyed my first laps of this racing week very much.”

Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #7): "The track was tricky, there was aquaplaning on the Hunaudières straight and before Indianapolis. The ‘standard’ road sections of the track were additionally slippery due to fuel and oil spillage which required a delicate balance of power. The car was good straightaway and had good balance. Also in this weather and track conditions, the torque of the diesel engine could be used to good advantage.”

Frank Biela (Audi R10 TDI #8): "We did not want to take big risks today because there will be another qualifying session tomorrow which will hopefully be drier. We believe it did not make much sense to take big risks today. We went through our routine. We did the night qualifying for each driver. On my last run, unfortunately, I encountered traffic. The car was good, everything is running well, so we are looking forward to the second qualifying.”

Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #8): "So far we are happy. The conditions were very difficult with the rain. The target was to check the car and make sure it was running properly. In wet conditions, it was important that the three drivers qualified at night. Besides that, we produced some good laps and we saw that the speed was there.”

Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI #8): "I hardly regard this as qualifying because the weather didn’t allow us to run through our programme. I hope it will be dry on Thursday. Of course, every lap counts as everybody still needs to improve a little bit. I was happy that I kept the car on the road in these conditions and completed my mandatory laps.”

Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest): "The sudden rain upset the plans of all the teams but that was the same for everyone. On the other hand, we haven’t previously had much experience with the Audi R10 TDI in wet conditions so gained some valuable information. We had to find a compromise between getting enough knowledge in the rain and not taking too much risk. Many cars had problems this evening and also Dindo (Capello) had an off which can always happen under these circumstances. We were not going for quick lap times today as we should have enough time for that tomorrow.”

Results of first qualifying

1 Minassian/Collard/Comas (Pescarolo-Judd) 4m 13.832s
2 Helary/Montagny/Loeb (Pescarolo-Judd) 4m 14.447s
3 Capello/Kristensen/McNish (Audi R10 TDI) 4m 17.189s
4 Biela/Pirro/Werner (Audi R10 TDI) 4m 17.676s
5 Ortiz/Campbell-Walter/Gabbiani (Creation-Judd) 4m 22.021s
6 Lammers/Yoong/Johansson (Dome-Judd) 4m 22.873s

Communication Motorsport
Telephone +49 (0)841 89 34200,Telefax +49 (0)841 89 38617
[email protected]

Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:
www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

Keith

Didn't see it all, but 1 hour from the end it looks like diesel power 1 and 2 on the grid. I dunno, only 1 manufacturer has bothered in the past few years and that's VAG and strangely enough, they've always won.

Personally i think LMP2 and GT1 is far more interesting (go Radical & Aston!)than VAG taking on a bunch of part timers (with all due respect to Henri and all the Lola derivatives in LMP1) and as for diesel power.....it just doesn't sound right.

The Sound of motor racing is at least 7 tenths of the battle. When Turbos dominated F1, we lost a lot of the crack and now it's happened with diesels. I'm just not interested in seeing (or hearing) a silver and red coach chuffing about no matter how quick it's going. Sorry, just my opinion...but hoping that Henri, Zytek et al can raise their game (fat chance) and blow the doors off those trucks come Saturday.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Looking at the times, Audi were 2 seconds up on Pescarolo and can go two more laps on each tank. Probably the most crushing defeat ever in store for Sunday. If all goes accordingly, maybe a 10+ lap lead. Lets hope for some rain
overnight or on Sunday, though I doubt it at the moment looking at the numbers on the charts.
And yes, Keith, it sounds all wrong. In fact some of the marshalls told me that the Audi should have a bell or klaxon on the front as they don't hear it coming.
Progress in Motorsport? Maybe but ........

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
More of the same.

Ingolstadt/Le Mans, 16 June 2006

Audi claims pole with TDI Power at Le Mans

Both Audi R10 TDI cars on the front row at Le Mans
Dindo Capello fastest in final qualifying
Superb performance of Audi Sport Team Joest

In qualifying for the Le Mans 24 Hour race, Audi yet again demonstrated in a stunning way the performance of TDI Power. The brace of new Audi R10 TDI cars were by far the quickest in final qualifying. The two sportscars powered by 650-hp diesel engines will start from the front row on Saturday at 1700 hrs.

After rain had affected the first qualifying on Wednesday, the conditions on Thursday evening were dry and perfect. In the first part of the final qualifying session, the Audi drivers concentrated on fine-tuning their R10 TDI cars before Audi Sport Team Joest headed for the top of the time sheets at the beginning of the last section. Shortly after 2200 hrs, Dindo Capello and Marco Werner set lap times beyond the reach of the opposition powered by petrol engines.

Setting a time of 3m 30.466s, Dindo Capello scored his third Le Mans pole position following 2001 and 2002. A mere 0.118 seconds behind, Marco Werner completed an all Audi R10 TDI front row.

Capello, who turns 42 on Saturday, did not only present himself with an early birthday present. He also rewarded the work of his mechanics who completely dismantled and re-assembled the Audi R10 TDI with start number 7 for safety reasons after an accident on Wednesday. Just in time for final qualifying, the R10 TDI was ready again.

Dindo Capello starts at Le Mans together with record winner Tom Kristensen and Allan McNish. Frank Biela shares driving duties in the "sister car” with Emanuele Pirro and Marco Werner. All six drivers have won the Le Mans 24 Hour race at least once. However, a diesel-powered car has never won in the history of the Le Mans endurance classic. For the first time, Audi accepts this challenge this weekend.

Quotes after qualifying

Dr Wolfgang Ullrich (Head of Audi Motorsport): "This result is an incredibly good base to build on for the race as we have consequently used both qualifying sessions to develop the cars for the race. We have achieved the times with a race set-up – and with a soft tyre compound for the race. We’ve seen on the test day already that we can achieve good lap times with these tyres for three or four consecutive laps. With a set of ‘qualifiers’, there is only one fast lap possible. We didn’t want to risk running into traffic with them. This strategy paid off. Both teams have displayed a strong performance and did excellent work as we had a damaged car last night. Everybody maintained a good team spirit and worked hard, so the front row is the reward for the whole team. However, we still have to tackle the more important part of the weekend.”

Dindo Capello (Audi R10 TDI #7): "This is my present for the team which made a great job after my mistake yesterday. I felt so sorry for them that I struggled to sleep in the night. We know this is racing and part of our job, but I really felt bad. I wanted to give them something back. And fortunately it happened. This is my third pole position at Le Mans – and something I’m proud of. Thanks to the Audi R10 TDI! We did only 20 percent of our job here being on pole. The rest we have to do on Saturday and Sunday.”

Tom Kristensen (Audi R10 TDI #7): "An all Audi front row at our first time at Le Mans with a TDI engine – now the world knows that diesel is very sporty. With quick lap times, Dindo (Capello) and Marco (Werner) did great jobs in qualifying without taking too much risk. Allan (McNish) and I concentrated on the race setup and now we are going into the 24 hours as confident as we can. You can’t predict anything at Le Mans because you always have to expect the un-expected. But we did our job and now we are ready.”

Allan McNish (Audi R10 TDI #7): "Everyone at Audi Sport Team Joest can be proud that we’ve secured the first diesel front row at Le Mans – both Dindo and Marco were great. A lot of hard work and effort has gone into this achievement. I’m a little surprised by the lack of pace shown by the Pescarolos tonight but I’m certain that their challenge has not disappeared. The car balance is good and the tyres are working well. We have good options for wet or dry race conditions.”

Frank Biela (Audi R10 TDI #8): "This is a fantastic result for Audi. Both cars qualified on the front row. Our car with number 8 is just one tenth behind the pole. The performance is there, the car felt really good. We found a good balance, especially for the race. Everybody was happy. Now we have to keep fingers crossed for the race.”

Emanuele Pirro (Audi R10 TDI #8): "It’s just fantastic and I am absolutely thrilled. We had two trouble-free qualifying sessions, our Audi R10 TDI feels good and we did fast lap times. Personally I don’t like so much being on pole position for some superstitious reasons, so the result is simply perfect. So far we proved that TDI technology can be fast. Now it’s our job in the race to show that it is long lasting as well.”

Marco Werner (Audi R10 TDI #8): "Congratulations to Audi and to Dindo. We both drove good laps. There is nothing left to be desired. Both Audi R10 TDI cars qualified for the front row. We have achieved our goals. Now I hope that we will have the luck on our side in the race.”

Ralf Jüttner (Technical Director Audi Sport Team Joest): "The Le Mans 24 Hour race is the competition that counts this year – and we start from pole position. Again, we were able to show that the Audi R10 TDI is a car that is on a level playing field with the ‘normal’ race cars. We didn’t do qualifying set-ups. Again, it turned out to be true that a good race car can achieve a fast qualifying lap. Both Dindo and Marco used this to show good performances. If you look at how evenly both cars were matched, both drivers and teams exploited the potential perfectly. It is important that the drivers feel comfortable in the car. Hence we should have a good chance in the race as well. The first step has been done, even if this is only a very small step at Le Mans. Nonetheless, it is a good motivation for the whole project. This is a good mood to start the race on Saturday.”

Notes to the editors:
Pictures of the Audi R10 TDI and its drivers, PDF versions of our comprehensive Le Mans press kit and our Le Mans booklet and sound bites of the Audi drivers and Head of Audi Motorsport Dr Wolfgang Ullrich can be downloaded from www.audi-motorsport.info. An Audi press conference regarding the Le Mans event is scheduled for Friday, 16 June, 1400 hrs in the Audi Racing Club at Le Mans.

The starting grid at Le Mans

1 Capello/Kristensen/McNish (Audi R10 TDI) 3m 30.466s
2 Biela/Pirro/Werner (Audi R10 TDI) 3m 30.584s
3 Minassian/Collard/Comas (Pescarolo-Judd) 3m 32.584s
4 Helary/Montagny/Loeb (Pescarolo-Judd) 3m 32.990s
5 Gounon/Kurosawa/Nakano (Courage-Mugen) 3m 34.120s
6 Lammers/Yoong/Johansson (Dome-Judd) 3m 34.864s

Communication Motorsport
Telephone +49 (0)841 89 34200,Telefax +49 (0)841 89 38617
[email protected]

Photographs, sound bites and additional information available on the Internet:
www.audi-motorsport.info (Accreditation necessary)

Back