Lightweight e type at brands hatch

I saw this fantastic looking e type at a brands track day on Friday and had to take some pictures. I would have taken my SGT 40 for its first outing but did not have it ready.
Weather was -1.5 deg and it was snowing lightly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 321
Now that is quality, those exposed rivets look super.
There was a few XK150,s there as well, worth freezing your chods of for.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 316

Keith

I love the look and sound of the E TYpe Lightweight.

I'm not sure how many were made in period - it wasn't many. I used to kick around with a guy called Keith Holland - he was very successful with one.

E Type Lightweights are bit like original GT40's really, they only made 20 and there's 50 of them left now.

From memory, there were 12 genuine Light Weight E Types. Not sure if that also included the low drag coupes. I used to live quite close to one in Western Australia. The same owner also had a genuine short nose D Type. Actually, he owns a motor museum (Peter Briggs).

Both are sold now.

I recall being on goodwood in a Ferrari and being past by Jackie Oliver in a lightweight e type he was practicing for the goodwood revival , watching him drift the car on the bends was magic.
Lovely riveting adds to the beauty.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 270

Malcolm

Supporter
I was lucky enough to drive a Lynx low drag E type at Goodwood once and it was a sublime machine. Definately on my dream car wish list. The low drag shape is fantastic.

Malcolm

Supporter
Yes and as far as I know, still do. Robin has done Classic Le Mans in his but I don't know how Andrew has used his.

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Been a Jag fan since I was a kid. My first book on cars was on Jags, in the 1960s. They have a write up in it about the lightweights, as well as the early XK race cars. I haven't read it for maybe 20 years but this has made me decide to pull it off the shelf and read it again. Too bad so many neat British cars have fallen by the wayside. Unfortunately, many became mia after the British government bailed them out. Sound familiar. Too bad there are so few of those type of cars made by the US bailed out manufacturers. They might be future collectables.Who I am kidding :).

Looking back it's hard to believe, but I drove a very nicely restored '64 3.8 drophead e-type in college in the 80's. Parked it on the street with all the VWs and corollas. Came out one morning to get in it (left the top down) and it had been filled up to the door tops with beer cans and alcohol bottles. This is back when fraternities were more like Animal House than they are now. Apparently the sorority gals used to call it the "Big Green Penis". I think it helped me get more than one date back in those days.

I bought it for cheap and then rebuilt the engine and rear end, then painted it and redid the interior. All myself. It was a s-load of work but I had time on my hands back then. When I first brought it home (it barely drove) there was a license plate frame on it that said "Bob's the name, sport f$%&ing's the game" Classy eh?

The lightweight versions would be a big improvement, even with koni shocks and stiffer springs it was like the Titanic going around a bend. Fun car though!

Attachments

• etype.jpg
    etype.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 257
"Apparently the sorority gals used to call it the "Big Green Penis". I think it helped me get more than one date back in those days."

I assume you're talking about the Jag and not the penis?

Kidding of course Cliff....you know we love you!

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Cliff,
Beautiful car. I own a FHC of the very same color today.

Best,

Ron

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 212
Thanks guys, wish I'd hung onto that car. I bought it for $5,000 in 1984, sold it in 1989 for $22,000 and thought I'd made a killing on it. I maybe spent $3,000 on it for parts/supplies. It was a very, very nice car.

The guy who bought it was a local check-book "restorer" who decided he wanted a car that was already done....for investment purposes. He put it in his garage collection and it hasn't been driven since. Last time I bumped into him he's thinking about selling it because he thinks it's a $100,000 car now (it may be) and he's just tickled pink at the thought.

Personally, I think what a shame. People who buy these things as static investments are bringing down the average for everyone.

Sorry for the thread drift, I'll shut up now.

I like your thinking Cliff. I'm never impressed with anyone who tells me they have a car with only "X" number of miles on it. As for the Jag, I may be in a small group but I've always preferred the coupe versus the drop top. The lines on the early coupes are just stunning. Plus I love the way the rear door opens.....its just different.

Back