Lola T70 Reproduction Build... Recommendations for non ZF transaxle?

OK... I am not sure I want to go through RND using a 930 or other Porsche trans... Little too scary with money and ground clearance as an issue... Again this will be run only on the street...

So waiting for the right ZF at the right price sounds to be one good option... I have plenty of time...

The Ricardo transaxles out of the new Ford GT are available brand new for $6500.00... Assuming that they fit in a GT I think they should fit the T70... (Bad assumption?) The starters are a big question... Anyone have any experience with these and fit area problems?

Lastly anyone know for sure that the Ricardo will bolt right up to a period 1960s SB 289 Ford or not?

Thanks this has all been a real eye opener...
Best

Michael Frost
[email protected]

Ron Earp

Admin
The Ricardo transaxles out of the new Ford GT are available brand new for $6500.00... Assuming that they fit in a GT I think they should fit the T70... (Bad assumption?) The starters are a big question... Anyone have any experience with these and fit area problems?

Lastly anyone know for sure that the Ricardo will bolt right up to a period 1960s SB 289 Ford or not?

I'd ask RCR/Fran Hall as I think out of the replica builders they have the most experience with the Ricardo.

The Ricardo is one hell of a big transmission and might stick out of the end of a Lola. It doesn't bolt up to SB Fords or GM motors unless there is an adapter plate in use.

You can use a Audi 016/01E transaxle as a inexpensive option. There are adapter plates for just about any engine for these. They generally don't get employed in big hp applications or racing use but people use them for street duty often.

Ain't transaxles fun? By far the biggest "issue" with mid-engined repliracers.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Have to agree with Dave Deerson on this one --we've been running like this for years , the important issue is grease boot quality selection

Attachments

• 930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    930 hyd. clutch 004 (Small).jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 432
  • rcr lola trans 012 (8) (Small).jpg
    rcr lola trans 012 (8) (Small).jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 519

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Tx. err, thats the heavy duty prototype :shy: --It does work really well tho

Attachments

• 930 Porsche clutch slave mount (Small).jpg
    930 Porsche clutch slave mount (Small).jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 344
Chris, made mine from a hunk of billet too, not quite as elegant as yours but still
"pretty" and functional. I'm using the Brantwood cable system to shift.

Go buy 10 old scrap yard Audi 016's. They're about $300 bucks a piece, so that's $3,000 total. Beat the crap out of it with a lot of drop clutch starts and such and when it breaks just yank it out and drop in another one. Put the $7K left over into a nice vacation for you and the wife.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Won't have time for holiday Cliff -- too busy changing flamin' gearboxes :laugh: Aaand, they usually haemorrhage miles from home base, so - I reckon you'd consume a fair amount of your profit in towing fees :laugh4: not to mention all that extra smelly old oil

Last edited:
What about using a ZF Pantera transaxle? Should bolt up to period engine... Anyone know if these are different dimensionally / would not fit or work for some reason... My thoughts are buy a Pantera project car with useable engine and trans (cheap) and strip it for other parts as well, wiring harness, cooling system, etc... and resell the rest for parts.

Obviously whatever I buy, I am not trusting and will rebuild anyway...

Any pros / cons?

Thanks

Michael

What about an Audi TDI gearbox? The A6 3.0+ TDI should be much stronger than a petrol gearbox, designed for high torque. 6 gears with nice ratio for a V8...

/Peter

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Where are all these NEW Ricardo's that are available for $6500.00 ?? I wouldn't mind buying a couple for my Lola builds. I see rebuilts at $8000.00, but never new ones anywhere near that price.

Regards Brian

Ron Earp

Admin
Ron, check out these driveline angles !!

If they're not worried about them.............
http://photos.gpupdate.net/large/168978.jpg

Those aren't quite as high as mine......15.7 degrees.

But I see your point.

Michael, the ZF Pantera box isn't any less sought after than any other ZF box. And a cheap Pantera isn't to be found. Even the basket cases bring good money. The bottom line is that the transaxle is likely to be your single largest expense of your build.

Ron:

Thanks... I think the way to go is just wait for the right priced ZF transaxle... What model ZFs bolt up to Ford and Chevy Small Blocks? Or do they all have the same bolt pattern... I see ZF-3, ZF-5, ZF-5 and ZF-6 out there... what is the difference or what should I be looking for in a perfect world or imperfect with an adapter...

Again I am an idiot about this due to lack of experience...

Thanks

Michael

Michael,
This info is a little bit late but Factory Five has developed their own transaxle that will bolt up to a small block or LS series chevy.
Regards
Mark

Back