Loton Park - What happened to all the GT40's?

Just got the entry list through this morning for Loton Park on the 7th & 8th July, looks like I may have fightened everyone else away (I dont think you guys and girls need to worry that much!).

Anyway its me - no other GT40's and a D-type in the class, I recall only a few years ago the there was always a great gathering of GT40's at Loton Park - what has happened!

Cheers!
Julian

Hi Julian -

Sorry - I really like Loton and its near my brother at Telford whom I don't see too often. However, Roy's 40 is in bits, (sorting clutch), Julian Kingston-Smith's 40 is in bits (sorting Engine), Bjorn's 40 is in bits (new engine / transmission going in), DaveP (R42) did'nt get an entry, Rodger (40) is busy, Andrew sold his 40, Martin & Mo are selling theirs, I suspect Ray and Roy (40 Spyder) are in Spain or it's too far and although Bjorn and Nadine tried to get an entry in their Vipers/Cobra - the chap dealing with entries was 'less than welcoming' so no joy there either.

It is commonly felt that we have spread ourselves too thin over too many events this year. I have only entered Brighton thus far...:(

BUT

Plans are already afoot for a Major attack on the hills next year, fewer events, but more club competitors at each. Details will follow but we are proposing a 'get together' at some point, for competitors and anyone interested, to ensure that we can present a more full field of cars at the events.....

Best of luck for the weekend, get below 60s and you're QUICK... I've been in the low 59s and Rodger has had a 58.9 (although he scared himself silly as I recall!!:eek: :eek:)

Have fun and let us know how you get on.....:) :)

a Couple of vids :
http://www.gtd40club.co.uk/Videos/PT at Loton Park 2001.wmv

http://www.gtd40club.co.uk/Videos/LotonTaster.wmv

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
I actually tried to get in on that one. For some reason I didn't get the regs in time, and called the guy who does the entries to see if there was a space available. He just told me in a very grumpy manner that irrespective of there being an available place or not, as I was 2 days late with the entry, he was not about to let me compete. I think the guy is an sorry old sod with petty power complexes. He really enjoyed turning me down. A shame, as it's a fab hill climb that I enjoyed enormously last year. Hope you have a great time, Julian, I'm sorry you have to do it all on your own.

Nad and I are doing Gurston 15th July(as BARC members) and Goodwood 4th August, and Brighton aswell. Haven't had regs for Longleat yet, but planning on doing both days there. For Gurston & Goodwood we're using the Viper Comp Coupe. I'm not yet sure what car to use for the other events, but of course dying to drive the 40 once it's ready with it's new engine and gearbox.

Hope to see you at some of these events.

Bjorn

PS. Goldtrack 21st august Silverstone GP anyone?

Paolo -

Me sold a 40 - I WISH...:)

I have never had a 40 of my own but I have been lucky enough to drive many and have competed in several too, Plus I continue to drive Roy's GTD Mk1 among others - not forgetting Dave's awesome R42 too..

Last edited:
Sorry Paolo, but we are currently keeping Paul too busy fiddling with ours to go off and play with himself.

''Plans are already afoot for a Major attack on the hills next year, fewer events, but more club competitors at each. Details will follow but we are proposing a 'get together' at some point, for competitors and anyone interested, to ensure that we can present a more full field of cars at the events.....''

Fantastic idea - there are a few people I know who would be up for that. A small request though - if there could be at least one or two events north of Southampton, that would be much appreciated by those 'up North'.
On the other hand I may have swapped my car for a boat by then. A boat would certainly be more useful this summer!

Hi Julian -

That's great, a field of 8-10 (or more) cars at fewer events next year would be quite an attraction I think. I'll kick off another thread to ensure we capture as many as possible.

Good luck for this weekend - let us know how you get on and make sure you take your 'wets' - the forecast is 'showers'...

Dry - target time is 60s or less but low 60s is still fast.
Wet - hmmm, I'd reckon on anything below 75s being quick enough for me!:eek: (Pirelli P7s are crap!)

Last edited:
Loton Park Update

The Loton Park seems a distant memory now, but what a super weekend it was at what has to be England’s best hill climb!

Saturday morning started with some trepidation in the we had just changed the brake master cylinders to smaller bore ones in order to give some feel and more power to the brakes and at the same time we had changed from the Dunlop M section crossply tyres to some new Avon CR6ZZ radials.

Got to the top of the hill after first practice and the front brakes were binding badly, that what happens when you don’t allow enough freeplay in the pedal!

The Ferrari’s were out in force fielding 21 drivers, Also similar numbers and having a great time were the drivers in the Paul Matty Lotus championship.

Progressively over the weekend times were improved down to 64 seconds, with still more to come, but alas the weather turned lunch time on Sunday and everyone was being a bit more cautious – so the final result was I was beaten fairly and squarely by Graham Jones in his fabulous Protus C type who did a 62.62.

Attachments

• P1000700s.jpg
    P1000700s.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 309
  • P1000660s.jpg
    P1000660s.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 298
  • P1000664s.jpg
    P1000664s.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 299
  • P1000692s.jpg
    P1000692s.jpg