LS oil pans?

Howdy howdy,

Just got off the dyno with my LS3 GM crate motor LS376/525. Do folks know if the oil pan that comes with it fits the SLC? That would make life a lot easier if it did. :laugh:

THanks! :)

I think the answer is that it depends on the year of the crate engine. IIRC, the early ones came with a Corvette pan which fits the SLC without changes. Some time ago, there was a running change to the Camaro pan, and that one is too deep, and is typically replaced with a Corvette pan.

Dr. David

Lifetime Supporter
Do yourself and your engine a favor and buy this one from Bill Dailey. You will have plenty of clearance and your engine will have oil when you are taking high-speed, high-G turns. I'm thinking you did not buy the 525 to use for grocery shopping, right? You deserve a Christmas present to yourself and your engine!
Just my opinion,
David

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 364
The factory C6 wet sump pans have terrible oil control. You can try an upgraded windage tray, crank scraper, and a 2 quart Accusump. The real solution though is to go with a dry sump system. The Dailey engineering system pictured above is what we have ran for years. It's a nice piece and will keep your engine alive. We are a vendor and would be happy to help you get setup.

Eric,

Luke, Dr. Dave an I would recommend a dry sump setup if you are wanting to track your car, most notably, if you plan to use slicks. Luke has a setup, Armstrong (ARE) has a setup I have. You may invest in an upgraded internal oil pump as well or shim your pump if possible for better oiling. Check with KaTech. The mods to the stock oil pan that Luke mentions would help if you don't go dry sump.

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Howdy howdy,

Just got off the dyno with my LS3 GM crate motor LS376/525. Do folks know if the oil pan that comes with it fits the SLC? That would make life a lot easier if it did. :laugh:

THanks! :)

No, it will not. C6 Corvette is the only OEM pan that will fit.

I'm using the batwing (on an LS1) and the fit is great, low profile and plenty of clearance around it. It will cut down space for making the exhaust u-turn if you're planning to turn it around near the frame rails but was no issue for me with the LS7 headers. I'll most likely upgrade to the Dailey dry sump in the future but this is an easy short cut to reduce project scope and get the car running sooner. God knows there is enough to do.

A quick googling shows it should be no issue on an LS3, but not popular with the vette guys as it presents exhaust clearance issues for them.

Using a batwing pan on an LS1 also. Slight issue with the drain plug and the early aluminum engine crossmember, solved by updating to the bolt-in steel crossmember.

I'm using the Batwing as well, though, still in build stage. Though it seems to fit just fine. I'm using the steel crossmember was well.

Back