LS1 engine in a GT40

Graham,

You'll need power and a decent amount not to feel slow after your 996 turbo. My 1105 kg (ready to go, no driver), 380 RWHP 347 Ford (Boss block, Ali heads, 8 stack efi, solid roller cam etc) does not get away from you. Sure it is quick, and will break traction in 2nd gear in a straight line, but I've got a fair idea how quick your porker is from competing against a few over the years, and a N/A motor does not give the same turbo torque rush coming on boost.

Go to video section and you'll find a couple of videos to give you some idea of what that power/weight in a 40 will achieve. That is with short gearing too (016 trans) - will be less urgent with taller gearing remember. Don't have any performance figures yet to give you, still chasing a top end miss problem.

My point is, spend the money and get some power! I toyed around with a few ideas (turbo Lexus 4L V8 or LS Chev motor). Both would give far better go and most likely better reliability than my 347. And look at factory five website - you can now get a new transaxle designed to bolt up to LS motor at a realisitic price.

But...when it comes time to sell, you know what motor you need to have in the car for 90 % of buyers to open the wallet. And an angry ford SB at 7000 rpm is a nice sound indeed...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
And look at factory five website - you can now get a new transaxle designed to bolt up to LS motor at a realisitic price.

Slight correction offered here -

You can get on the list to "maybe" get a new transaxle..

Also - I'm certain that preference will be given to those that have already bought a GTM or are ordering one.

**Note** I don't have a dog in this fight but I wanted to offer the clarification..

To achieve a similar power/weight ratio to the Porsche, in a GT40 rep, requires 300bhp and 300lb/ft. Frankly these are quite modest figures; a decently built 5 ltr V8 should comfortably exceed this.

This is a very interesting thread - it was pointed out to me that the advantages of an LSX can be the lighter weight Alu block, better developed pushrod engine, buy dress up bits to make it look like a Ford. But I'm left wondering by the time you pick up an LSX engine for not much money, and then go buy your 8 stack + EFI, Ford rocker covers and cover up all the bits, and have the issue of resale value...is it really such a bargain?

I'm not sure of exact specs (being an american V8 newbie) but noting;
And an angry ford SB at 7000 rpm is a nice sound indeed...
Where does one pick up a 'classic GT40' 289 with an Aluminium Block (DART?) with 8 stack, EFI that will rev to 7000rpm and be reliable, for reasonable money?

Back