M6B Tragic

Thanks for the compliments Leon and ditto to your build also. It's magnificent.
I also want to thank you and Andrew for your responses on my Distributor issues. It has got me thinking, and one of the critical targets of this build was to have a strong reliable car that at the end of the track day I can come home and give it a clean and a service and park it up ready for the next outing. I didn't want something fragile and temperamental that I'm constantly fiddling with.
So, after reading your feedback and having a long chat with my One Man Technical Advisory Committee ( Clayton ) I have decide to look hard for somewhere to cram 8 coil packs and start pulling it apart. It's the way I should have done it to start with, but "Oh No", I had to have that authentic Magneto look.
I will still have the look by stripping the dizzy bare and have it sitting there doing nothing.
Plus a very nicely tuned engine.
You win Clayton, I should have done it to start with. Hindsight, Hey? Now, to find some space.

I look forward to seeing how you jump this hurdle. Not something I had to worry about with Old School injection and to be honest, Thank goodness because I have NO skill when it comes to electrical wizardry.

Cheers Leon

Hi Udo,

Thanks for the update - sounds good. Out of interest, what approach are you planning to take to get an accurate engine position signal for coil near plug ignition.

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew
I’ll jump in for Udo, we used the EFI connection kit that is also marketed under the Chevy Performance banner.
It uses the LS crank and cam sensors in a custom front cover to suit the 572.
The injection is already setup for sequential fire and will now use batch fire on the coils (only 4 outputs from the Haltech 950)
Have a look at post # 135-137 for pictures of it fitted.

Clayton

4B0DA940-6A31-4EF9-B00C-C8970627C4E0.png
1F2A5689-7156-429E-B9BC-0A80948788C4.png
2589BF14-43AF-4614-8BF4-083D982785B6.png

I'm back. Sorry Andrew, but no residual interest. ( thanks anyway )
Okay Leon, here is how we over came this next hurdle. I purchased a set of ICE LS 4300 coil packs and they pack a wallop! Managed to mount them out of site down low on the chassis. Then we pulled things apart and Clayton de-pinned and re wired the computer end while I wired up the coil pack end. You can see by the pictures.
You're not going to believe this, but after checking the timing I hit the ignition button and it burst into life and sat there idling at around 1,000 RPM.
Not a splutter or a pop, just a crisp clear idle. Both Clayton and myself just stood there open mouthed in amazement.
Even when giving the throttle a blip, it was without hesitation.
I took a video of it, but do you think I can download it on here?
To view YouTube video of this please click on and open link below
BBC 572 first startup in a M6B replica - YouTube

Attachments

• IMG_8648[2].JPG
    IMG_8648[2].JPG
    411.6 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_8646[1].JPG
    IMG_8646[1].JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_8645[1].JPG
    IMG_8645[1].JPG
    390.1 KB · Views: 154
  • HTGF8577[1].JPG
    HTGF8577[1].JPG
    791.6 KB · Views: 186
Wahouuuuu ; excellent news UDO !!
congratulations to you and the "wireman" Clayton" ;) for such a good work in finding the solution ....
Do you have now a long list of small jobs to achieve ???
are you planning soon to do a first track checkdown ?
Can wait to watch you driving this beauty on circuit tarmac !!!:p
Just watched the video some mn ago ; excellent Idle , now need some new one with some more revs !!!!! LOL

Superb !!!! Absolument excellent
merci Clayton !!
Shame you where not close to me to help ; when year ago we tried to fire up the Le Mans Lancia Stratos ( we had simlar issues until we did something similar to you and suddenly roarrrrrr she started for ever !!!!
Hope to read soon that udo and you are on the way to go to track !!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Great job Udo, what a moment to savour.. 572 cu of awesomeness.. at full song it will be quite something..
One thing I can’t recall you mentioning, are you going to have any engine interupt on the liftless upshift gear change.
…regards. Andrew..(the other 1:))

Wow!! what can you say that hasn't already been said, just an amazing quality build in every aspect. That Electonic injection has alot to do with the great starting I imagine. Mine does start and Idle straight up like that now but not with out a lot of setting up on the dyno to get the fuel right and then there is still the guy with the squeeze bottle of fuel manicly squirting down the injection while the other guy works the starter, but isn't that part of the magic of these car's ???. I'm pretty much living in WA now but will go back to NZ a few times a year to make sure my wife hasn't changed the locks or there isn't a completely new family living in my house and she is in the Bahamas. So send me your phone number and we'll have a catch up.

Cheers Leon.

Thanks a lot all of you for your nice comments, it's appreciated.
Regarding your liftless upshift question Andy, I hadn't even thought about it. My Prosport Mulsanne had it via a micro switch on the gear stick, but I never gave this any consideration, guess I should have. Maybe I'll just do it the old fashioned way and use the clutch pedal.
Hey Leon, are you up in the Pilbra? My number is 0418840279.

Hi Udo, yeah mate I'm driving Road,Trains out of Port Hedland. I'll give you a call on my next 24hr break. I'm going home on the 8th of September back on the 25th and staying until Christmas. I'll look forward to a chat. Cheers Leon

Just a couple of Pics, For our US friends that don't see these every day These are Australian Road Trains 60metres long and 200tons Loaded and they run on the public roads at 100kph. The last one is Mining Dumper that carries 225ton per load. Cheers Leon

Attachments

• Aussie truck 2.jpg
    Aussie truck 2.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Aussie truck.jpg
    Aussie truck.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Aussie Truck 6.jpg
    Aussie Truck 6.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Aussie Truck 5.jpg
    Aussie Truck 5.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 451
  • Assie truck 3.jpg
    Assie truck 3.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 146
  • Aussie truck 4.jpg
    Aussie truck 4.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 155
Hi Ryan, Here is my understanding of Trailers and I'm happy to be corrected.
My first pic is a Dog trailer which hook on the back of the previous trailer ( or truck ) and then put you trailer on that.
The next picture is a Pig trailer, which is a stand alone trailer.
Here in the Northern Territory the norm is either a three trailer Road train ( Multi Combo ) or Three trailers with a B-Double which makes it look like it has four trailers, but one is only about three quarters the length. Have a look at the two cattle truck pictures.
Hope that helps. Regards, Udo.

Attachments

• dog trailer.jpg
    dog trailer.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 107
  • Pig Trailer.jpg
    Pig Trailer.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 114
  • Road Train.jpg
    Road Train.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 115
  • B double.jpg