Manx Classic 2009

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Just had mail below from Manx Classic organisers,

Dates for your diary

16th, 17th and 18th April 2009 for the Manx Classic Races.

Breaking news. Thursday 16th it will be a brand new hill!!!!

Malcolm

Supporter
Crikey Bjorn, they are making a new hill? I thought that sort of thing only happened in Wales when some decades ago they built up the top of a hill so it classed as a mountain......

Count me in - have yet to see the man from Gibraltar buy a round. Maybe 2009 will see different. Why don't more people realise this event should not be missed either as an entrant or just a damn good GT40 weekend away?

With the problems that Kaupthing Singer & Friedlander had recently experienced I wondered whether the Manx Classic in 2009 would be affected as they have sponsored the event for the past few years.

Anyway, fear not, the event entry regulations have been published and I received mine a few days ago.

So who's thinking of going? - either taking part, or spectating / supporting?

It's a great event and really gives you a target date to aim for to kick off the new season and new for 2009, there is a new sprint that runs instead of the Bray Hill event.

Called 'Govenors Sprint' the provided description is:
'The length of the course is 0.71 miles and comprises a hairpin corner, a long straight with 3 chicanes, a left and right hand corner and a final hairpin'.

As John Bate points out, even if you are not competing there, it makes a great social event and you can obviously still drive the courses that the competitors compete on (although not at racing speeds / lines!). There is also the fact that outside the towns, there is no national speed limit, so speeds of 100+ will not be punished with imprisonment or fines.

Everyone I know who's been has enjoyed it and said it's a great event, so who's thinking of going for 2009?..

As a club we have a number of new competitors competing with us in 09 so there may be some new faces there too.

There is also the C O H Baines Cup, awarded to the 'Fastest GT40 up Lherghy Frissel' which I managed to win last year after being kindly offered a 2nd drive of Martin Weigold's '6 GTD'. Who'll win that? - I know that Martin has a new Gurney Weslake motor going in over Winter and I'm sure Bjorn will be keen to reaquaint himself with 'T40GTD' that is undergoing a lengthy refit, including having a Ricardo GT Transaxle shoe horned into it's rear.

Finally - whilst being posted in the GTD Club section, we would welcome any GT40 Enthusiast Club Members who would like to have a go. Whether you want to compete or are interested in spectating, do please let us know and we'll make sure we keep you posted on what's going on. This applies to all competetive events we as a club are invited to and anyone new to the sport will be given as much or a little advice or assistance as they request.

Do contact us on [email protected]

Mike Pass

Supporter
Governors Sprint? That sounds like a run round Governors Bridge and back along the TT start as per TT direction with a few chicanes on the main straight at the grandstand?
Cheers
Mike

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Something not to be missed. It was my very first competitive event with the 40 a few years back. Nadine and I are going again for sure, a fantastic way to get the season going. I am not sure that my 40 will be ready in time, so the plan is to bring the two blue/white Vipers as they have undergone a few tweaks and should pull up those hills quite well. Can't wait!

VCC56

Lifetime Supporter
Some bad news here, most of you probably know already, but here's what I was sent from the organisers of Manx Classic:

It is with regret that I advise you all that the directors have taken the decision to cancel this years event

This is due to extra requirements from the authorities to obtain a road closing order for the Governors Sprint involving consultation with residents. Given the time frame available we are not able to conplete this process for this year and the decision of cancel has therefore been taken.

We are now commencing arrangements to the same event to take place in 2010 and will be in touch with you all again later this year with full details.
If you have already made your entry then any monies paid will be refunded shortly.

We would thank you all for your support over the last 3 years and hope that we can welcome you again in 2010.

Regards
Hilary Moore
Membership Secretary
MMRC

Bjorn - you've ruined my week completely........
I think I will still have a weekend over there anyway. Good weather, car freshly serviced and ready to go...NO SPEED LIMITS.... good way to blow the cobwebs away for the start of the year.

MWGT40

Supporter
John

Never mind, it will give you a chance to take the whippets out instead.

Why don't you come to some of the other club events this year - I am sure details will be posted soon

Cheers, Martin

Hi Martin -

Sad news indeed...

I updated the club news section with a competition dates list earlier this week and whilst some are still listed as provisional, it gives an idea of what will be included. I will update and firm the dates up as soon as I hear from our compsec - Dave Parker who is also checking on an event at MIRA again in May, details will follow.

ps - Can't wait to see your new Gurney Weslake motor in action - the dyno figures you mailed me were very impressive and I suspect you are definately going to be 'setting the pace' this year...:thumbsup:

Do you have any test sessions planned? -CKL? let me know and I'll pop along to get some piccys for the website.

was hoping to get to this to watch you guys tear up the hills this year.... odiham trackday - whenever the next one is? - and a Le Mans trip it is for my list so far. better dash to the events list page here!
;)

Back