Mark Reid RCR-40 Build

Tom if you look at the last picture you will see that the wheels are turned to the left and give the appearance that the body is forward, but if you look at the rest of the pictures that show the front wheel you can see that when the wheels are straight that is very close to centered. I never use the wheels to line up a body, I use the frame and since Fran's got this frame SOOOOOO straight it was very easy to get both left and right side dead on. Once I have all the body work finished and just before I am going to remove the body for paint I will take more pictures and I will take the same picture but with the steering wheel centered so you can see what I am taking about.

Ron

I also need to adjust the front caster. In order to get it close enough for fine tuning, I need to move about 3/4" of shims from in front of the bottom control arms to behind the lower control arms, effectively moving the front wheels further forward a little bit. This will center the wheels even more.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I also need to adjust the front caster. In order to get it close enough for fine tuning, I need to move about 3/4" of shims from in front of the bottom control arms to behind the lower control arms, effectively moving the front wheels further forward a little bit. This will center the wheels even more.

Moving the LCA all the way forward and the UCA all the way back has given me a sum total of +3 Caster - There is no more to be had without modifications on my car - yours may be different.
Pics and information available as soon as I can update my website.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
3 degrees of slop....

Moving the LCA all the way forward and the UCA all the way back has given me a sum total of +3 Caster - There is no more to be had without modifications on my car - yours may be different.
Pics and information available as soon as I can update my website.

I owe you guys and Fran / RCR an apology....

After posting this - I was told by Fran that no one has had any trouble getting more caster than this...

I believe in the RCR product or I would not have bought it...

I went back out into my shop a while back and examined my Caster/Camber gauge...
When I pulled the gauge from it's sock and wiped the vials off of dust I found the gimbal mount for the caster vial is (was) loose and flops..
I mounted it and observed the action of the vial when turning the spindle from right to left, the gimbal would flop exactly 3 degrees..

How can this be?

Since my new Caster Camber gauge is on loan - I took the one from my racecar trailer to use. Evidently the screws securing the gimbal mount had vibrated loose while riding in the trailer - or - while it was on loan to someone at the track.

Suffice it to say - I borrowed my own "New" Longacre Caster Camber gauge back from my neighbor across the alley and re-measured. Camber is still where I thought. Testing the Caster at ride height returned a spectacular +6 Positive caster. Coincidently - this is exactly the figure I was hoping to achieve.

So - I've learned a lesson and will be checking my equipment more thoroughly from here on out - and particularly the equipment that leads a rougher than normal life - in my trailer...

So - Guys , Fran - Please accept my apology...

Fran - Thanks for reaching out to me...

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Randy,

glad to be of assistance..

Just dont ask me to check out your "Faulty equipment"..and at your age too.....

Fran - you've had my equipment in hand since the first moment I laid eyes on an RCR.... ;) :stunned: ;)

Thanks again... Lesson learned... :embarassed:

You two need to get a room!

Priming and blocking this week, paint next week. I am determined to make it to Carlisle. I'm puting the headlights together as I write this and they will get them bonded in on Friday. It will be a squeeker!

Fran, save a spot for me!

So far, I've seen a sawsall, circular saw, and now router used on my car. I'm not sure if Ron is running an auto shop or carpenter shop!

Here, Jose is using the router to slightly deepen the mounting flange for the rear clip vent grill. We want it to sit flush to the body. It will end up the same colors as the body, so it need three different colors and must align perfectly with the stripes on the rear:

GT401.jpg

The car will be painted on Friday!!!!

My color selection is basically the same as Bill's, but I will not have the numbers and will have a sill stripe and white pinstripe separating the blue and orange.

Here are the first body sections fresh from wet sanding. They do need a good wash down.

untitled.jpg

The side windows will be installed with screws making them removable. We bonded brass wood inserts into the window frames using epoxy:

9.jpg

Once they are cured, grind the tops off, fill the area, and finish for paint:

8.jpg

The top of the window frame requires care. It has an acute angle towards the interior and the edge is all gel coat. The insert calls for a 1/4" drill bit for wood. I drilled 9/32" holes and used epoxy to bond the insert to the body. This will aloow these windows to be removable. The rear exterior window, rear interior window, headlight covers, and fog light covers will all be bonded inplace.

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Mark, I have been watching your build and you are doing a fantastic job. Can't wait to see it in person. My only comment would be to not bond the remaining plexi glass (except the interior rear window) to the car. Stone and road debris can crack your headlight and fog light covers. I will follow with a pm.

Gregg, I talked Mark into using a foamed center 2 sided tape that I use for attaching body side moldings. If Mark should have to remove it for a repair, a heat gun will soften up the glue on the tape and with some care it can be pulled off. To hide the back of the tape threw the transparent lens we are going to paint a 1/2 in reveal the same color as the body.

Ron

Rich that picture is after installation, primer, and first round of block sanding. When it is finished all you will see is that hole.

Can´t wait to see your color combo, because it is one i´m also thinking about. Very curious which shade of ..... you choosed.

TOM

I spent the day at Ron's today. This was this morning with all body parts in final guide coat and the rear clip 80% wet sanded:

11.jpg

By the end of the day, three of us had all parts wet sanded with 400 grit and all traces of the blue are gone. Of course, so are my finger prints!

Painting starts tomorrow!

Back