Mason’s Build: Superlite SLC

I contemplated a custom build, but the time investment in the titanium muffler chamber wasn’t worth it vs. buying a close fit and modifying it.

This is a Quicksilver Titan Active valve exhaust for Audi R8 / Lamborghini Gallardo. It has a nice high pitch ring since the muffler is titanium, but most of the tubing is stainless steel. This cost half of a full titanium tuned exhaust which can go from 8k-11k usd!

This system is tuned for the Audi/Lamborghini V10 engines and is designed to fit snug around the Graziano transaxle.
I need to fabricate mounts and source a vacuum pump to have electronic control over the exhaust valve.
Mason - Love the exhaust! Looks amazing. Can't wait to hear you properly "exercise" it :cool: on a future YouTube video

I have been rewatching all of the SLC YouTube videos on my home theater system to get the FULL effect. So when Mason posts it...I am assuming my neighbors will hear it too!! But that is all just prep for me …..and them.... for when Fran finishes my turnkey build and my SLC arrives in a few months

After some head scratching I have the exhaust down pipes and muffler mounted. As promised I had to cut the butt off the race tail to stuff the muffler in there. The titanium muffler is beautiful so I may just keep the bumper delete look, what do you all think?

Question for race tail owners:

Are the wheel arches supposed to be level across the top? I’m not sure if my whole tail has sagged and deformed.

1B98D1AD-492A-4F24-BFBE-791492696BB8.jpeg

8DF48515-DC9F-40FD-A155-87962F4C10D3.jpeg

Naked muffler in all its glory!

8D988EA8-5782-4692-AB2C-B3ADEB217B65.jpeg

I fabbed these down pipes and I’m happy with how they turned out, but my weld beads are not going to go viral on Instagram, need to work on my cosmetic welds.

Kyle

Supporter
Looking good! I absolutely hate the look of the street tail so I’m going to do something similar with mine, the challenge will be attaching hinge points.

After some head scratching I have the exhaust down pipes and muffler mounted. As promised I had to cut the butt off the race tail to stuff the muffler in there. The titanium muffler is beautiful so I may just keep the bumper delete look, what do you all think?

Question for race tail owners:

Are the wheel arches supposed to be level across the top? I’m not sure if my whole tail has sagged and deformed.

View attachment 111543
That angle is factory installed, drove me nuts so I fixed it on mine.
Leave the back open and no one will even think of messing with you.

Joel K

Supporter
Mason, that muffler looks sick and nasty which is the ultimate complement! With regard to your question, not sure I understand the issue. I have mine on a body buck so can take any measurements you need. Keep up the great work.

Mason - that looks amazing. Really sexy!!! I have been looking at different exhaust systems the last several days for my car. I sent you a message with several questions if you don't mind.

Mark B.

Supporter
Looks beautiful, Mason! Can't wait to hear how the completed system sounds! I think once you remove the sound deadening patch from the transaxle, the back end is definitely a showcase of it's own :)

absolutely stellar work. if you dont like your welds you can come work on my car all you want for free. free welding practice.

Howard Jones

Supporter
If you leave the rear body open like that I guarantee you it will crack in the inside corners. The 90-degree corner formed by the fiberglass body needs to be triangulated so that the flexing loads are transferred away from the point that forms the inside of the "v" to the bottom end of the side panel and the top horizontal section of the body. This could be as simple as a rod attached to both points or a full panel of bodywork such as the one you have cut out.

The exhaust pipes leaving the mufflers will crack for sure if the weight is not supported. That's a lot of extra weight. Why not cut the "tailpipe extensions down to a manageable length and size to fit the bodywork? You kill two birds with one stone that way.

Where are you going to mount brake lights?

Howard, you made good points concerning the weak points on the body and exhaust mount.

The muffler is the closest that it can be to the top of the transaxle and not interfere with the shifter. Because the exhaust system interferes with the stock diffuser and the race tail I will be designing a new rear extension for the body. I’m inspired by the Maserati MC12 which has a long tapered tail.

D4E1418B-7964-428D-8639-D3512D93A3D3.jpeg

Hello friends!

We had a little bit of snow near Seattle and so I did some drifting in the SLC in my driveway (Sorry no video) it was dark and no headlights. I pulled the beast into the garage and she was dripping with slush, this reminded me that another builder warned me that his ecu and harness was damaged since it was near the wheel well and he recommended that I move it towards the firewall.

Extending the engine harness

Here is an in-process shot of many hours of work to move the ECU 2 ft away to the firewall. Here's what I did.
1609385930295.png

1. Record the ECU pin # and wire colors for the 2 ampseal 35 pin harnesses
  2. Discovered there were many wires with the same colors, so I used a label maker to tag each wire with non-unique colors
  3. Extend the wires with butt joint splices
  4. Re-label the wires at the connector end
  5. Wrap the harness in kapton tape every few inches
  6. Cover with RayChem DR-25 shrink tubing 3/4 inch dia
  7. crimp all the wires with new ampseal terminals
  8. insert the pins into the ampseal body
  9. I will complete the other 35 pin connector when I receive more terminals
Seat and Seatbelt Install

1609386726640.png

I went with the seatbelt upper mount in the center of the car since my chassis is raised in the middle.

1609386822392.png

I'm running tillet sliders and seat mounts, I was frustrated that the seat would not move after being mounted. I discovered that you need to add the 2mm tillett spacers under the sliders to allow room for the slider assembly to work.

Throttle Surge?

When driving around my property the engine seemed to surge and buck with any throttle input. I soon realized that this was due to the light weight of the car in go cart form with the 550hp engine. I will add a "Sport" mode to tame the throttle for driving in traffic, right now it is very touchy.

My next big goal is to finish all the major wiring and additional sensors, then I will drop the body onto the car and send it out for Roll cage fabrication.

I’m fitting the dash and there is a 1/2” gap between the mounting tabs and the chassis.

I’m not sure if I should mount with a spacer or cut out the back of the center bin to make it flush? Any recommendations?

8369F730-5AAB-4F01-B252-535F5815B332.jpeg

Back