Maximum driver height ?? And one or two other Newbie Qs:

My first GT40 post - be gentle.

I am very interested in the possibility of getting my hands on a GT40 - I currently do track time with my heavily modfied Dodge Stealth, but the easy of modification, adjustment and repair of this platform seems perfect. Besides the fact that the car is gorgeous !!

Enough rambling, I couldn't find this by searching - do any of these kits accommodate 6' 5" tall drivers?

Also, does anyone know of any "show events" coming up soon in the Houston TX area? I would like to get a feel for the "fit and finish" of these. I would also like to try fitting in one !!

Thanks - Flame away if you must !!

Well it's going to be a tight fit I reckon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm only 5'10", so fit into these things very easily.

I'm mainly familiar with GT40 Australia(DRB) GT40's, they offer a lot of options to fit in taller drivers. So I expect most other manufacturers would do as well.

Pretty sure GT40 Australia claim to fit in drivers up to 6'6".

This what they offer from factory:

Lowered Floor - gives 25mm more height.
Super Lowered Floor - gives 50mm more height.
Tilton Pedal Box - 75mm more leg length.
And of course Gurney Bubble in top roof section of door for even more height.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hello

I'm 6 foot 3 and battled to get into cars.
That said Tony Hunt is about the same height and his GTD was modified by Frank Catt and he now drives with ease

I got a Dax which is about 42 inches high and this makes it a lot easier for me to get in.

KVA Chris Edwards - about 6'4" did mods to the pedals and gets in without a gurney bump!

Now for the amazing one - at Stoneleigh show this year I met the husband / boyfriend of the winner of the Dream cars CAV - he mad me look small so must be 6 foot 6 or 7. He can get in and drive the standard CAV that still has seat runners so his partner can drive it. Only problem he admits to is that he cannot select 5th gear as his leg gets in the way -he was looking at a modification to allow him to get 5th gear

So you will be able to fit in most brands. Sorry never sat in a RF and Tornado say they can do 6'5" but that is low seat and pedal moves.

Hope it helps

Ian

[ QUOTE ]
Hello

I'm 6 foot 3 and battled to get into cars.
That said Tony Hunt is about the same height and his GTD was modified by Frank Catt and he now drives with ease

I got a Dax which is about 42 inches high and this makes it a lot easier for me to get in.

KVA Chris Edwards - about 6'4" did mods to the pedals and gets in without a gurney bump!

Now for the amazing one - at Stoneleigh show this year I met the husband / boyfriend of the winner of the Dream cars CAV - he mad me look small so must be 6 foot 6 or 7. He can get in and drive the standard CAV that still has seat runners so his partner can drive it. Only problem he admits to is that he cannot select 5th gear as his leg gets in the way -he was looking at a modification to allow him to get 5th gear

So you will be able to fit in most brands. Sorry never sat in a RF and Tornado say they can do 6'5" but that is low seat and pedal moves.

Hope it helps

Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Great help - Thanks

You are welcome to come down and look at my RF. I am just south of Clear Lake and have had it on the road for about 2 weeks now. Still lots to finish and paint but come on down and we'll go for a ride./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Simon

Attachments

• 59793-5-30-05.jpg
    59793-5-30-05.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 512

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Don't forget to considery: Helmet & roll cage if they apply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are welcome to come down and look at my RF. I am just south of Clear Lake and have had it on the road for about 2 weeks now. Still lots to finish and paint but come on down and we'll go for a ride./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Simon - That would be great. What suits you? I may be able to get down there this weekend (I live in Cypress - NW of Houston) ??

Congrats for getting it on the road !!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to considery: Helmet & roll cage if they apply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm worried about those added obstacles. I'm not too keen on the Gurney bubble, but if it were easy to swap doors, I could go with that for the track, and swap back for street use

[ QUOTE ]
but if it were easy to swap doors, I could go with that for the track, and swap back for street use

[/ QUOTE ]

That will raise some eyebrows. The doors are really what make the 40 difficult. Getting the fit of the doors right is an absolute pain in the rear. A spare door? Well anything is possible, BUT....... how long do you want to spend building it?
Seriously, if you are set against the bubble, try without to begin with. It is relatively (?) straightforward to fit afterwards if you need to.

I'll be home most of Sat.till about 4:30 and should be here sun., although it is fathers day and maybe kids will take me to dinner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif E-mail me and I'll get you my number.

Simon

[ QUOTE ]
I'll be home most of Sat.till about 4:30 and should be here sun., although it is fathers day and maybe kids will take me to dinner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif E-mail me and I'll get you my number.

Simon

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - you've got mail.

Hi Mark,
Still haven't fit those bottom light covers but I think they will work great. Thanks again for your help. As you can see I have the car on the road and it's a blast to drive. The gear change works great, better than I remember a 911 shifting & the ratio's are just about perfect for me. With the 205 AFR's it pulls real hard till about 3500 to 4000 rpm and then the front end gets light and she really come to life, what a thrill. The cooling is also right on, Afco built the radiator , two 1-1/2" core double pass. It's been real hot here (96 today) with a 165 thermostat it runs about 175 to 180 with ac on and with fans drops even lower. I am running stock pulleys with serpentine belt and stock pump.

Attachments

• 59811-5-30-05002.jpg
    59811-5-30-05002.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 531
How about a spider top that can be taken out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Re: Maximum driver height ?? And one or two other Newbie Qs

Something that you might want to keep in mind is the option of fitting a seat that has a greater recline. This will have the effect of lowering your head to whatever height you want, even allowing for a helmet. The tradeoff of coarse is that your backside will be closer to the pedals, which (in an RF40) is no big problem. The second tradeoff though is that as your backside moves forward, your knees rise, and this is where the problem may lie. Having said that, there is nothing structural for quite some distance above your knees so a modification to the bottom of the dash will resolve that issue.

I have an RF40 and am 6'3 and have done exactly that to be able to wear a helmet. The modification to the dash was only a few millimeters in my case, and that was just to give my legs a bit more clearance than would have been the case without the mod.

Ron Earp

Admin

Falk, all of the cars now will accomidate tall drivers - RF, CAV, etc. - everyone has options from dropped floors, thin seats, bubbles, etc. You name it, it has been done. So, from that perspective you can not worry about it and just see if you can fit in A 40. If you do, then figure out which one you want. If you don't, then figure out what needs to be done to make you fit.

Seriously, it is a rare indivdual that cannot fit in one of the cars. I do have one such fellow that works in my office, but he is 6'4" and 365lbs. It is not his height, but the way he is built - he is longer in the torso than the legs, plus, as you can imagine his chest and back is extremely wide. He is about the only fellow I've met that absolutely can't get in the car.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to fit into Simon's car on Sunday.

Cheers

Back