McLaren M8 B look alike

Aussiem8
Yes most of the origional car body work was fibre glass, with the exceptions of the side `tanks` which were alloy skins over the chassis / monocoque structure and housed the fuel cells. I do have a cut away drawing that will show all that for you.
Yes I have seen Dick`s car and it looks great and whilst not to scale, really captures the look. I am in Auckland if thats any help.

The first picture shows the copy called the GEMCO SPECIAL built in New Zealand in 1971 that I have used as a start for my body work. This was taken by me and little did I realize what the future held. The second is the cut away drawing of the Mclaren.
Cheers

Attachments

• GEMCO SPECIAL.jpg
    GEMCO SPECIAL.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,301
  • Mclaren Club nght 012.jpg
    Mclaren Club nght 012.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,578
Last edited:
Thanks, i figured it would be after reading the '69 orange paint is gel coat . When i saw the mcbearen in alloy sheet it made me wonder. Your Gemco looks very similiar to the mclaren indeed. Thanks for the pics. I have to find out if i can enter into any historic categories too. So did you just start out with the front and rear body sections and decide to build a whole car from that?

I had origionaly intended to make the entire set of moulds and this oppourtunity came along to use those molds as a short cut how ever I wish I had continued my own plan and made the moulds. Now I have a one off body shell so `no damage allowed`
Cheers

Keep the pics coming. Have you a pic of the rear? I am trying to decide on motor and box. I was offered a gto twin turbo motor and box that he will convert from 4wd to fwd for me. It's putting out well over 300hp. What model car is your box out of. It would be nice to have a V8 though.

The gear box is an Audi 013 which is the same dimensions as an 016 but with a different gear shift location typicly out of an Audi 100 or similar.
I have set up the rear suspension as per typical for the era of the car and if you wished it could easily be set up with a twin wishbone system so that you did not have the toe in variation in the travel. I have used the entire Audi drive shaft and hub and front bearing set up but would change back to a local aluminium casting that runs Holden bearings and CV`s etc. which look identical to Audi any way. They are specialy made for the NZ produced Cobra`s that are running as much as 500 plus HP thru them.
The up rights that I made were a bit of an effort but will also run the Audi front vented disc`s and calipers as I do not need a hand brake. As you can see i have added a toe in adjuster in case of any mis alignment.
Cheers

Attachments

• exhausted or twisted 002.jpg
    exhausted or twisted 002.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 1,433
  • rear suspension set up 005.jpg
    rear suspension set up 005.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,357
  • rear suspension set up 004.jpg
    rear suspension set up 004.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,347
The pictures show the uprights that I found after making mine, as you can see they take a very wide rear Commodor bearing and the same cv joints as AUDI. These are very well built strong units with a wide attachment spacing.
Cheers

Attachments

• Berry uprights.jpg
    Berry uprights.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 1,155
  • car info 001.jpg
    car info 001.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,126
  • car info 005.jpg
    car info 005.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,159
I'd also be interested to know what they cost, and the weight of them?

I Like your current bits russ, what do they weight?

This is my current effort, fabricated from sheet around the centre boss cut from the Audi upright.

Cheers

Fred W B

upright%20tack.jpg

upright%20parts.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Russell. I've sent an email asking about dimensions and pricing. Fred, I can forward you any reply I get if you like.

Hi Russell,

I see you have been making some spectacular progress. All the Kudos are fully deserved as you project comes to finalization!

Dick Bear

A bit more progress with the front clip being fitted and the door sitting in place. I have just fitted the calipers, radiator.oil cooler and other shiny bits so feel like we will be on our wheels by Christmas.
Cheers

Attachments

• body  door  test fit 002.jpg
    body door test fit 002.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,004
Back