McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Hi Terry, Haven't seen anything from you for a while, just wondering if you have colour on your car yet.
Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I'm in tears. I finally got the 8-stack injection operational, and during tuning, oil pressure went to 10 lbs (audible engine sound alerted me something was not right). Closer inspection indicates oil pump is okay, and that the very quickly darkened oil has a golden metal-flake appearance, along with perhaps galled particles of aluminum. I'm stepping back for a week or so, taking a big breath, and then will pull the engine and start a full tear-down.

Your's on the other hand appears to be coming along admirably!

Thats not good and I feel for you my friend. There is always something that sets us back but its our sheer determination that wins out in the end, thats why people like us and all the people on these forums do it. Shows the true grit so to speak. I hope its not too bad. I have made some good progress over the last few hitches at home and am very pleased with the front suspension, the photos don't do them justice, they look much beter in the fleash, a lot of work in those I tell you. Also, I'm rapt with how the T/A is coming along. The first alloy has been poured (the rear cover) and I hope to get the diff section poured next time home. I bought a large "Drill Press" just before leaving and it will go straight to work on the gear case section next time home. Well best of luck with your engine and stay in touch my friend. Cheers Leon.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Terry,

What terrible news:(

You are getting so close, I love the FI stack, so cool!

Keep up the good fight buddy, we are all pulling for you!

Happy New year Mate, I hope you and your family had a good Christmas. Any progress on the engine or are we still stepping back, hope it isn't too bad.
Look forward to some progress. Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Happy New Year (and wishing a great 2014) to "y'all".

The block is coming back from the machine shop next week. New pistons, main cap and head studs, and a turned crank is all that was done. A new oil pan (12mm deeper) is being purchased that will allow more flexibility on main cap fasteners. So while waiting for all that, I'm doing some housecleaning in the garage, and detailing the body alignment pins, installing a home-grown latch tensioning set-up that will allow the front and rear body panels to "pop up" when the latch is released so that I can lift either it with a single person. Yep, a couple more pounds added to the car, but it's these tiny details that make the actual operation, maintenance, and look of the body more appealing. I did replace some steel frame bracing (x-brace over and behind the engine) with aluminum, so that is offsetting any weight gained with the other things I'm adding. Still touching up the fiberglass on the body, so hopefully this summer will be an "orange" summer. I'm getting sick of the cold weather, so I resort to my in-house chest heater while watching vintage Pink Panther movies.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Got everything back from the machine shop, installed studs all the way around, new pistons and bearings, and re-assembled the motor last week. So here is where it is until I put it back in the chassis this weekend. I did finally get an engine-only weight, complete with everything on my motor except the headers and water, which came out to 414 lbs. That weight was with the KEP products attached, alternator, coil packs, and EFI assembly. I installed a deeper Dailey Engineering pan in case I decide to stroke it later (the spare motor). Really nice stuff.

Things need to warm up before I get back to finishing the fiberglass (April??). It is so close now.

standard.jpg

Terry I'm just currious as to why you chose a late motor? Instead of a period correct one? So the valve covers etc look "right". You've done such a great job on the body conversion. Glad to see you've got it back together again. Know what you mean as to the cold. My oldest son lives in OKC & has to work outside in it. Glad I live in So. Cal LOL :laugh:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Yeah, Oklahoma cold is worse than here, but tomorrow it will start to break.

I had thought about the more-period correct BBC, but after studying the hardware, and not doing the monocoque thing, and the weight reduction, easy 500 HP, and a host of other little, "not quite right" things, I decided the later model technology was a smarter choice (not necessarily better).

I would agree with you Terry, you are also using yours as a road car and the modern engines are far more user friendly and the cost of building a BB!!! if you want 500hp and don't care about weight BBs are easy, If you want 900+ then they are expensive and who wants Mechanical Injection on a road car. Great to see you at it again can't waite to see it in colour and running with that 8 stack, Cheers Leon.
PS, if you want a nice finish to the rocker covers have a look at what John has done on the Stienard F5000.

Last edited:
I guess I'm one for how thing "look" as much as performance. I guess it's the artist in me. I'll change things just because I don't like the looks of it. Even though it might be just fine structurally etc. I can be my own worst enemy on that score LOL. What trans are you using I probably missed it. Reading through the whole thread there is so much you've done. Keep up the good work going to be very cool. I really like the McLarens there was a Manta for sale locally recently & was rather tempting (if I brought another car home, I'd loose a wife though LOL):furious::furious:

Back