McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Looks like it is a copy of the original Manta front windshield. I wonder why they had to put such a large border on it, the originals did not have that border.

Can you at least scrape Jack from the from windshield?

Hi Terry. Hows things progressing?? you seem to have been pretty quiet lately.
Hope to hear and see some more progress soon, hope your well.
Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Leon,

It's the kind of stuff most folks get bored reading about, so I was not too enthusiastic about posting it. The Jet-Hot folks did a bang-up job on the coatings. I used their blingy polished coating only because clean-up is easy with that. The red is for all the plumbing, and they took extra care to ensure the entire internal length was coated.

Then I experimented with something I've never done, and that was use gel-coat as a color top-coat for fiberglass (the last layer rather than the first layer in a lay-up), which went onto the extensively modified fiberglass seat tub.

Lastly, I installed latches all around (2 front, 2 door, 2 rear), which was way more challenging that I expected being much focus is paid to the direction of rotation (hinges) when latches are installed. I went with Bear Claw latches being I wanted as much safety as possible with an aftermarket latch.

The LS2 if finally buttoned up with the Livernoise Stage II cam. I've got a carbureted fuel system in it right now until I have all the oil,water, and fuel systems worked out. Then I'll go with the 8 ITBs when tuning can be done with an otherwise fully functional motor. And GBox sent back a fully rebuilt and modified for inverted running, 930 box (the most expensive single item yet).

Attachments

• ScreenShot077.jpg
    ScreenShot077.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 548
  • ScreenShot082.jpg
    ScreenShot082.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 510
  • ScreenShot083.jpg
    ScreenShot083.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 514
  • ScreenShot084.jpg
    ScreenShot084.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 541
  • ScreenShot089.jpg
    ScreenShot089.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 478
  • ScreenShot093.jpg
    ScreenShot093.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 505
  • ScreenShot094.jpg
    ScreenShot094.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 477
  • ScreenShot099.jpg
    ScreenShot099.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 493
  • ScreenShot100.jpg
    ScreenShot100.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 510
  • ScreenShot101.jpg
    ScreenShot101.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 562
  • ScreenShot102.jpg
    ScreenShot102.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Hi Terry, The detail is what takes the time but you seem to have it well in hand. I would think you are intching to get it to driveable and it looks like thats no longer a distant dream, unlike me who looks at the job ahead and wonders at times (Very Briefly) if it is too big a task but the prospect of what will be the end result, thats what keeps us going. I look at what you are doing and that helps with the inspiration needed. Great stuff. Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ha ha he he! I'll reciprocate on that comment in that I was thinking the other night (wow...did I bite off more than I could chew, and is this ever going to end before I get tired of it?), but then I thought about Leon's project, and his custom fabricated parts and all, and thought, "if he can do that, then I can at least finish this thing".

Seriously, I'm drawing out the wiring diagrams with the relays, wire gauge size, etc, and getting my hands around the electrical so that I can finally bump this thing off.

Hi Terry, I'm at work at the moment and just spent a few hours going through your build thread from the start, Man let me say, Guys need to do that now and again to appreciate the volume and quality of what you have done. It makes me feel like I have done so little but at the same time drives you to get into it. My big hurdle at the moment is Money!! we are trying to sell our house so we can buy another that we have an option on, It has 6 car Garaging and 3phase Power OH the house is nice too, Can't wait to get it sorted then I can focus the finace back to the project although there are a mountain of things that don't cost the earth to carry on with.
anyway thanks for the inspiration as always. Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
We've got a lot in common, just at different levels. I'm grappling with the financial decisions as well, only on a miniscule level compared to you. I've been quoted a price on a Lithium battery for the car ($600 plus), and finally said "no" in that I could but half a dozen new lead-acid batteries for that price (or many gallons of McLaren orange gel-coat, or..... Yeah, its about 1/3 the weight, but if 35 lbs is going to make or break me, then I need to go back and build me a Kart and forget the street stuff.

I can relate on the "did I bite off more than I can chew" thoughts!. Can't stop now, way too invested, must.keep.nose.to.grindstone. Certainly the "overwhelmed" feeling comes across us all at times, and we look to one another for inspiration. I know I do.

You two are in my "hero" group for sure.
Carry on men.

Howard Jones

Supporter
My system: work until you get thristy, drink beer, sit in chair and think about what you are doing, clean up mess, start again tommorrow.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I restrict cleaning to a minimum 2-week cycle, or as needed. Otherwise I'd never get any work done (or remember where I put my tools). Anyway, I finally started wiring the project. I've relied on Painless products for the start of it. They make some nice stuff, not cheap by any means, but they have no schematics available for their wiring, so I've got to create those as I go along.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

No, I'm not using a wood dash. I've cut out some gauge templates out of contact paper to help nail down the location of them so that they can be seen through and around the steering wheel.

standard.jpg

Instead of using the pull type of slave cylinder for the clutch, I finally found the Mitsubishi slave cylinder worked well once I machined a bracket for it. All fitting are at the top of the bore for easy bleeding.

standard.jpg

Lastly, I'm screwing around with some Lexan to create a windscreen option for the windshield. If all of this works well, I should be able to convert the full glass windshield to the Lexan wind screen (or back) in 30 minutes or so.

standard.jpg

Terry, there is a thread running on The Roaring Season - The Roaring Season that you & the McLaren guys might enjoy, its titled 'The McBegg', a car that was built by kiwi, George Begg from stuff he 'saved' from the Mclaren spare parts bin when he spent a year working at the factory. Just been completely rebuilt by Wal Willmott (ex McLaren Fabricator ) on behalf of Jay Esterer [canada]

Thats why I,m not building a road car. all that wiring, glass, wipers, lights the list goes on. I hate electrical stuff. I'm running a Mag, all gauges will be mechanical and I may not even bother with a battery. Great to see you toilling away Terry. And JacMac what a great site. I went to the Bay Park Xmas/NewYear meetings from about 67 to 71, My Dad lived at the Mount about 500m from the Gate to Bay Park. I spent school holidays with him except from 72-74 when I spent them in Invercargil on my uncles farm and went to Teratonga instead. then once I started working (75) It was back to Bay Park and Pukekohe. I went to the last F5000 Races at both tracks.
Fantastic times. Keep up the work Terry I will have some more stuff next month Promiss. Cheers Leon

OH Yeah, I clean up when I can't find stuff or there is NO work surface left. and just drink beer when needed (always need beer). Cheers Leon.

A tip on the windshield: a Mclaren M8D (not B) windshield will fit if you take out that ugly frame that goes over the top and trim to fit. Talk to Judy at Aircraft Windshield in Los Alamitos, CA. Luckily, I live within driving distance of them and they worked with me on the windshield. The biggest bonus is that they also have the side screens that go with the windshield. You end up with part M8B and part M8D, but only the most knowledgeable would notice.

Also, I threw the whole seating tub away and replaced everything with aluminum sheet.

BTW, I think that the Mirage looks good on it's own merits when you chop the top off, rather than trying to fool people into thinking it's a Mclaren. The roof was always the problem - it just didn't flow with the rest of the body. Just my not-so-humble opinion.

Brian

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9rvTN2dQK8]Manta Mirage McLaren M8 First drive - YouTube[/ame]

It's been a while since posting any progress, so here goes. I actually started the motor a few weeks ago using the 6LS2 controller to operate a carbureted LS2. It worked beautifully, and consequently I was able to address numerous issues with fueling, oil, water, electronics, etc without simultaneously having to tune the EFI (the 8-stack is ready to replace it when I'm fully comfortable with everything).

Yesterday, I finally took it up the road and back down to gain some ensight into any problems (yes, there were a few), but it looks like I've got a car now that has a heavy clutch, heavy steering, atrocious turn radius, and has POWER, and a power/weight ratio that must be approached gently until I can get some experience with it.

I appologize in advance for all the female commentary. :)

Back