McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Hi Terry, I'm jellous sick mate. That sounds nice and I bet it will be quick. You are not that far away from having a finished car and you will be driving the wheels off that thing in no time. I'm so far from that stage I can't even think about it. To be honest I have done nothing to my car for 6 months, NO money or time. Keep up the good work. Cheers Leon. PS I did move house in January and have moved the car to a workshop where I have my big lathe and other gear set up so need to spend some time there.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Terry,

Congratulations!

That is fabulous, having seen a fair number of McLarens, your car looks RIGHT and sounds right too!

Very well done!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hi Terry, I'm jellous sick mate. That sounds nice and I bet it will be quick. You are not that far away from having a finished car and you will be driving the wheels off that thing in no time. I'm so far from that stage I can't even think about it. To be honest I have done nothing to my car for 6 months, NO money or time. Keep up the good work. Cheers Leon. PS I did move house in January and have moved the car to a workshop where I have my big lathe and other gear set up so need to spend some time there.

Leon, considering the vast amount of custom fabricating, your project is going to absolutely awesome. I've been waiting for your updates, so I suppose one will be posted soon?

Thanks Jim, I appreciate that. There are so many differences just in the bodywork, but getting it close enough to where somebody familiar with this car can recognize what I attempted to do is good enough for me,

Now that summer is here, the Duratech coating, and fiberglass work will finally get finished this summer, and perhaps paint next year.

Terry

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
How will it translate into today's base colors? I guess my concern (which may sound silly) is that in the 40 years sense, the combination of colors used to make up the McLaren orange may not even be available or of the same exact tint, hue, etc of the original ingredients.

The colour was scanned off a friends rear wing on his Mclaren F5000. I used it on a Lola T590 I rebuilt and it looked great. I will dig up a photo of the car and post it.

Last edited:
Picture 230.jpg

There were three different tints on the car, we had the only original paint part scanned by some fancy colour spectrometer which then gave a formula to duplicate. In the Can am days I understand the colour could be different week to week as it was hand mixed. If you send me an e mail address I can send you a bunch of photos of the Lola. The colour can look very different depending on light conditions, that may help.

Blair

Hey Terry, sure you want to go down that colour road, remember Russel Ks brush with the McLaren Trust over the paint sceme on his M8B replica!!! I'm sure you are far enough away from NZ and the trust for it to not be an issue. As some of the guys have already said, even the original cars were not the same tint from model to model.

The official colour is "Papaya Orange" it will look amazing no mater what colour it is, sorry i didn't get time to put some photo's up on my thread before I came back to work, I'm going to make a real effort for the rest of this year to get some progress. You and John are making me look slack and I can't have that.

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hey Terry, sure you want to go down that colour road, remember Russel Ks brush with the McLaren Trust over the paint sceme on his M8B replica!!! I'm sure you are far enough away from NZ and the trust for it to not be an issue. As some of the guys have already said, even the original cars were not the same tint from model to model.

The official colour is "Papaya Orange" it will look amazing no mater what colour it is, sorry i didn't get time to put some photo's up on my thread before I came back to work, I'm going to make a real effort for the rest of this year to get some progress. You and John are making me look slack and I can't have that.

Cheers Leon

Sorry Leon. Your project is so awesome, my only chance at making a splash is to finish mine before you finish yours :) After that, I'm just a back-marker.

Indeed, looking excellent Terry. It's nice when its suddenly (almost) one colour.:thumbsup: This is the finished car right, you not going to do moulds?

Cheers

Fred W B

I think you have the finishing before me well covered my friend. The body lines are looking so clean when its one colour. Its realy hard to judge when its mottled colours, so you have truly done a magnificent job. You probably don't want to take moulds as it is a one of a kind and that is something you can treasure but I'm sure there would be many takers if you wanted to sell them. Can't wait to see it in the finished colour.
Awsome!! Cheers Leon.
Ps, can't wait to see that ITB 8 stack system on there!!!!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Fred;

If I was 20 years younger (or even 10), perhaps I would mold up this cobbled assembly of fiberglass panels. But after 4 years of work, and other projects that also need my attention, I've decided that some balance or compromise is needed in order to fully enjoy this vehicle while I can. So the short answer is no intention to mold it up.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
What a mess! The hermaphrodite Holley HP EFI that I'm installing has become somewhat of a nightmare. I couldn't simply use there LS2 harness included in their "self-learning" EFI system. NO...I had to make my own harness (mainly because their harness is cut for front-engine use, and this is a mid-engine set-up) out of the optional Holley un-terminated harness.

So; even after double-checking with Holley verifying this would be the same exact harness as the "kit" LS2 harness (with the exception of it being 5 meters long, and un-terminated), I found out that in reality it is an LS1 harness, that must be repined/spliced in order to make it work with the LS2 Holley EFI system (along with me sourcing extra colored wire for the splitting out of sensor voltage and ground needs, etc. An entire month is way to long to spend on inserting a simple EFI wiring harness into a vehicle like this. I almost wished now that I had simply cut-and-spliced the "kit" LS2 harness to the correct lengths instead.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Anyway, enough of the complaining. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel, now that all that is done, and now I'm close to seeing if this 8-stack will actually work.

Last edited:
Terry, Even if it don't go it looks Fantastic but I'm quite sure it will be the ticket, I hate electrical stuff thats why I have a Mechanical injection and I'm sure it will take a bit of sorting. Keep going mate you are in sight of the Prize.
Cheers Leon

Back