McLaren replica build base on a Manta

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Hopefully this fall. I'm looking at paint, and desire a single-stage paint, but may have to use a dual-stage instead. Will paint the doors, see how it turns out, and then make a decision on the color and type for the rest of the car.

You can't beat the stacks for the look, but during all my testing, I was concerned about injesting dirt and sand, so until I show or track the car, the filters will stay on.

The filters make good sence, 2 Pack paints are the way to go in my book. I'm a panelbeater by trade and my brother is a spay painter (both ended up truck drivers, go figure) but I have painted a few vehicles over the years. The 2 pack enamels don't need to be cut like the old lackers but finish to a very durable surface with a good shine and they are pretty easy to spray. The last one I did was My Nissan Patrol, I painted it outside under a tent to keep the rain off on a pretty average NZ day and it came up pretty well and believe me the prep wasn't show class. the Enamel covers so well and it was a metallic paint to boot. As for colour?? what are you thinking, something a bit showy or something period (orange). Cheers Leon

Hi Terry

What a fantastic project, your efforts are really impressive the car is looking great !

The original Manta Mirage shape seems to have been based on a modified McLaren M8E nose mated to a modified Lola T163 tail section. You have done a great job to transform it as you have done. I have various original McLarens in the workshop and various M8 panels hanging on the walls which I work beneath every day and can confirm you have got it looking pretty spot on !

Cheers
Richard Taylor

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Thanks Rick (that helps). My inner critical self just sees too many differences, but ones I'm fine with leaving alone. I'm dealing with the final nickle and dime details that take a lot of time to finish. Wiring for the rear-reverse cameras, turn signals and wiring, changing some of my suspension pieces, panel support braces for when I've opened the front and rear panels, and getting seat cushions made. My plan this week is to wet-sand and shoot one of the doors with my chosen color of orange to see how it looks before committing to a larger purchase of paints and chemicals.

I have to go with Leon on the paint. I am in the middle of painting mine over since my mishap. The base coat /clear coat system is the way to go. It has become more simplified with the newer paints. If you make a mistake at any stage you can repair it and proceed on to the next step. Especially with a non metallic paint. Tell me know I know this. My compressor gave up the ghost right in the middle of applying the color coat. If I had the parts within 24 hours I could have gone on with the process and finished. If you look on Utube and search painting your car or 2 part paint, or base coat clear coat etc. you will find a wealth of information about the painting process. When I get home I will forward on the guys that I have gotten fantastic information about the process. The old one part paints require a lot of work to correct any mistakes you might make. If nothing else go to the Eastwood site and look at Kevin Tetz(?) series. He spells it out so it is not misunderstood. Makes it easy to do. I managed to get one tank sill done completely. It came out smooth as glass and totally flat. Go to my "rookie mistakes" thread http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-exterior-interior-ac-trim/42492-rookie-mistake-concequences-2.html#post449239
and look at #32 to see how it comes out. Just have to learn how to do it. Then its easy(ier).

Bill

If you are interested here are some good people posting good information about painting and how to correct any problems you might encounter:

Eastwood
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMb7dl9tHKx-zKDchXjeNfQ

McQueen Paint
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdQI8hJpM3L6ayCAap-2gIg

DIY Autoschool
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH7RpXjPcKNSw5Shb4WCIGA

Custom Spray Mods
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCViyboSXSfns8wtFx3_1g

DIY How to Paint a Car School
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzA2PE7vg9R_ebLiBSjCxEw

Boat Works Today(fiberglass repair)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0kDqq-pSzdqFUk3oTaHBuA

You should be able to find anything you want to know about painting and repairs with these guys. Everything from setting up your spray gun to cleanup.

Bill

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I agree. I used to be an Imron only guy, which was a very high quality single-stage paint. If applied sufficiently thick, could be fixed easily. But once I started using the 2-stage paint systems, it all became much simpler in repairs and fixes. The only negatives being more chances for trash in the paint (more coats), and you must clear-coat within a set timeframe after the base-coat is applied, otherwise you're back to more scuffing.

I wet-sanded one of the doors this weekend, but it started raining outside shortly thereafter. I was a bit concerned about blushing due to the high humidity, so I set it aside for this weekend's dryer weather. I'm almost giddy with finally being able to see a color (colour for the Kiwi) on the car.

What I'm loving about my specific project is that each panel can be individually painted in separate sessions without resorting to the "whole body" method of a one-time paint session (provided the paint mix is split up for matching on the frontend).

Last edited:
I,m pleased to see you are taking my needs into account there Terry, really looking forward to this. I'm at work at the moment but hope to have the main case for the T/A at the foundry when I,m home in a week or so, then I will be able to have some more photo's for you, I know how you love Photo's. Cheers Leon.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Painted the door today to test the color

Finally got some paint on one door today to see if the color satisfied my sense of what a McLaren orange was. The photo is a little dark, and the in-person color actually looks just a tiny bit more yellow than shown below. It looks good enough of a match compared to old photos to go with this for the entire car.

standard.jpg

WOW Bloody WOW!! that is an awsome colour mate, I think if it looks a little more yellow in the flesh will only make it better, what can I say, you nailed it first time at the plate. Can't wait to see the whole car that colour and the finish looks like wet glass, is it a single stage or a 2 pack enamel?? Cheers Leon.

Last edited:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
PVC Pipe, the painter's duct tape

For you guys that choose to paint your own projects, or larger pieces for them, I've found you just about can't beat fabricating painting props out of PVC pipe. I build these to hold the piece at a comfortable height above ground for 360 degree painting (over and under as well).

With the odd shape of the doors, a flat table was impractical for sanding, and unusable for painting. So, in about an hour I built the PVC pipe props. They aren't rigid enough to do any real work on them, but they suffice well enough to do any finish pin-hole filling, sanding, priming, and painting. Then they can be quickly cut up and thrown away without much fuss or lost money. Extremely light weight, so moving them around is a breeze. The bottom prop with the orange paint was the door prop.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

This was a PVC pipe paint booth that I used to paint my previous project. No overspray and no trash anywhere, and all cleaned up in a couple of hours.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Very good and nice idea !!!
Merci bien ; bravo !

Did these "tool" are able to hold clips when doing sanding with pneumatic tools or just to achieve hand-sanding small areas and then paint ?

Hi Terry, That's a good idea, I need to make up a frame to hang suspension parts off when painting them. A drawing for you with that information. Looking forward to more of that orange paint.

Cheers Leon

Attachments

• Rear up right.pdf
    384.5 KB · Views: 292

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Very good and nice idea !!!
Merci bien ; bravo !

Did these "tool" are able to hold clips when doing sanding with pneumatic tools or just to achieve hand-sanding small areas and then paint ?

When I assemble them, I put supporting stubs at key locations, so that once the piece is set down on them, will not allow them to move. Similar to setting a box upside-down on four stubs, one in each corner. The box cannot move unless lifted off the stubs. These things are not good with such things as air-files, but circular or dual-action sanders are no problem.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
You know I live vicariously through you and Russell because mine is taking so long, Hell Russell is on to his second car and will probably have that finished before mine. So forgive my impatience I just love reading these post's LOL.
Cheers Leon

So I don't take up any more of Russell's fine build thread, I thought I'd throw out a crumb to Leon until he sends out another helping of his "one-man car manufacturing" thread.

standard.jpg

Also, while the wife was out of town last weekend, I made some air intake scoops for the nose:

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Roughed in for this photo, but is now fully blended and finished:

standard.jpg

Lastly, because this is primarily a street car, I'm building a windshield framing that can convert between a DOT full-face glass windshield, to an acrylic wind screen, and back. This photo shows the main part of the windshield loop removed, and the finishing "caps" inserted in its place (over the top of the main stubs). The acrylic windscreen then screws into the windshield lower frame with these stubs at the rearmost portion of that wind screen. The main driver for this was to allow me to mimic the McLaren wind screen for car shows or the track, and do the swap in less than 20 minutes. Yes, I do love fiberglass.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Good work Terry, I like the changeable screens. Do you make the buck from foam then glass over it then pull the finished duct off the foam??

I have been busy getting the hubs finished so I can assemble all the suspension when the T/A case is done.

Keep up the good work,

Cheers Leon

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
That's correct. I actually split the scoop in half cleaned it out, sanded the inside, put a gloss coat of resin-only on the inside, and then bonded the two halves back together.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Painted the door today to test the color

Finally got some paint on one door today to see if the color satisfied my sense of what a McLaren orange was. The photo is a little dark, and the in-person color actually looks just a tiny bit more yellow than shown below. It looks good enough of a match compared to old photos to go with this for the entire car.

standard.jpg

Oh Terry, that is beautiful!

Back