MDA GT40 MK1 in Wales, UK

This is a photo of my MDA MK1 which I'm building, here in Wales, United Kingdom. The kit was delivered on the 17th December 2004 and so far I've put in just over 280 hours of build time on her. All of the aluminium panelling is complete, apart from the front bulkhead, which I'm leaving until I install the braking system, which is the next major job. I'll try and keep adding photos as the build progresses.

Attachments

• 54849-Nearsidefront.75shot240305.jpg
    54849-Nearsidefront.75shot240305.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 1,239
Welcome to the forum Alastair !
It looks like you are one of those sticklers for perfection as the photos show a clean environment and a neat panel installation. Keep them photos coming as we all enjoy seeing what others do.

Hersh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks Hersch. I spent a lot of time geting the right shade of carpets!! I'm really enjoying the build project and it keeps me out of the house! Even better still, my mobile does not have a signal where I am building the car. Great, total peace and quiet.

Alastair

Alastair,
Congratulations on your progress so far. You have got off to a good start and detailed documentation on your website will be invaluable to people coming behind you. I hope you are able to keep the writing up when the build-pressure really comes on!
Welcome also to the Enthusiasts Club (slightly off-topic). I look forward to meeting you at Stoneleigh or the Festival of Speed, where I think my car will be one of the exhibits, so I shall be there most days.

Tony,
Thanks for your comments. I'm looking forward to the Festival where I've voluntered to help on the stand.I'm looking forward to meeting yourself and many other people. I'll do my best to keep the web site up to date. I also keep a written log, of every time I spend working on the car, which I had hoped to post on my web site, but the software won't allow me to do that. Never mind.
Regards
Alastair

Superb website Alastair !. What you are doing is (hopefully) what I plan to do when I (again, hopefully !) retire in 5 years time. Haven't decided on a kit manufacturer yet. Would be interested in your thoughts behind your choice of MDA. Did you consider Roaring Forties or any of the other overseas manufacturers ?

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what is your background ? i.e. any 'hands on' mechanical experience or are you like me - enthusastic amateur (very amateur in my case !)

Please keep the website updated with regular progress reports, I for one will be glued to it ! All the best for a trouble free build.

Graham, It's nice to hear from a fellow Scot, as I'm originally from Haddington in East Lothian. Can't beat the old country!
I looked at a number of different companies and actually went and looked at three of them. I didn't consider the companies from abroad as because I intededed to build the complete kit I wanted to be ble to have easy contact with the manuafcturer. I know email etc is wonderful, but I wanted to be able to go and see them if the need arose.
I chose MDA because I was impressed by the build quality of the chassis, they offered the complete package, I could see the quality of their material etc., they were only a three hour drive from my home. Their service has been very good and they have answered all my questions, although I sometimes think that I am the quinea pig in building this kit, unless any one out there is further on than me. I don't know.
My engineering background is mostly on the acedemic side, but like most men, when I was youinger I used to take my Mini apart and rebuild it, but always withn some bits left over! Ooops! I've built model railways and model cars but other than that, nope, no other mechanical experience. It is certainly a learning curve doing a project like this, but that's half the enjoyment for me. I get great pleasure from seeing a part fitted or finished on the chassis. So as you say, enthusiastic amateur, is the best description. I hope to keep the web site updated but I'm disappointed with the package I purchased; it is not very flexible and I can't do any fancy stuff with it. Anyway, I'll do my best.
Let me know what you decide to do and if i can be of any help, please contact me.

Best Regards

Alastair

I thought that I would add some more photos which show the panels after bonding and sealing but prior to removing the protective film and polishing. They are in no particular order.
This one is of the nearside engine bay inner.

Attachments

• 55402-Enginebaynearsideinner020405.jpg
    55402-Enginebaynearsideinner020405.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,051
Another!
Nearside rear radius arm mounting. You can see the extra rivets around the mounting plate where I attached the infill pieces to fill in the gaps. Sealed with 'WURTH's Bond & Seal'.

Attachments

• 55404-nearsideradiusarmmounting310305.jpg
    55404-nearsideradiusarmmounting310305.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,044
Here's another.
This shows the panel which goes round the steering rack area, after I have modified it.
Originally the panel was a three sided pressing with just the one hole in it for the steering column to come through. This was a very difficult panel to fit, especially after I added the extra infill pieces at both ends.
I decided to cut one side off (the top side infact) and this has made it much easier to install. You can also see the two extra holes which allow the heads of the steering rack fixing down bolts to protrude through the panel. I will seal this area at final assembly.
You can also see the 'Rivnuts' along the front edge which allow me to have a removable front lower bulkhead panel. I will also seal this joint on final assembly.

Attachments

• 55458-Panel#23aftermods3050405.jpg
    55458-Panel#23aftermods3050405.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,000
And another.
This photo shows the extra panel that I have added to the chassis on the side pontoon. You can also see the aluminium profiles I have fitted to allow the air-con hoses to be rivetted on. I shall also add these profiles on to the driver's side pontoon area for attachng the break hoses etc..

Attachments

• 55459-nearsidepontoonairconhoses3310305.jpg
    55459-nearsidepontoonairconhoses3310305.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 1,027
Keith, thanks for comments. I use a Cannon PowerShot A85. It's a fairly basic digital camera but I think it gives pretty good results.

Fitted the SPAL cooling fans this week. Contacted SPAL in Italy who gave me their UK agents details; Malcolm Phillips Tel 01823 273060. He is a very helpfull chap. I odered two kits from him for fitting the fans to the radiator. Kit numbers 3013.0011(2 Off) and 3013.0014 (4 Off).

The first photo shows the cross support brackets at 2-10 and 4-8. These consisted of four brackets and one perforated strip from the 3013.0011 kits.

Attachments

• 56471-Fanscloseupofcentresupports210405.jpg
    56471-Fanscloseupofcentresupports210405.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 960
This photograph shows the bottom fixing from the fan onto the front chassis cross member.
This fixing consists of one 3013.0014 and a cut down perforated strip from 3013.3011.
I drilled and tapped a 6mm. hole into the chassis member and then used stainless steel hex bolt for the final fixing.

Attachments

• 56474-Bottomfixing2210405.jpg
    56474-Bottomfixing2210405.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 946
Back