Megaphones & The Police

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
And you thought changing the color from red to white would make you less conspicuous?! If it quacks like a duck.....

I've driven a number of miles over the last few years with South Carolina state trooper cars following at a similar distance. I try and think of it as my personal form of police protection.

Great video.

If you haddn't been going up hill you could have feathered the throttle and it would quiet down.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Hmmm. What does Colo. law have to say about the 'left turn' the trooper took onto the shoulder of the ONCOMING lane...especially when he had to know there was a side road 45 seconds or so up ahead?

Just out of curiosity, how fast were you going while he was pacing you? If you were doing the posted '50', then he should have given himself a ticket for however much over that HE was going when he went by you.

"Do as we say, not..."

I think he was trying to find a reason to pull you over so he could see the car...

cause I dont think he could use that your car "matched the description" excuse

lol

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Haha it does quack like a duck. It is loud on throttle, off throttle, idling, there really is no quiet time. It is a lot louder outside than in I will say. I would guess we were 10 under the limit as my brother who was driving it said he couldn't press the go pedal to get up to speed without making a whole lot more noise. I've been trailed several times by cops and have never had a problem knock on wood.

Mike,

Truly stunning scenery and makes me very jealous as here in Florida we have little to speak of in the way of hills and forget mountains. We do have a couple of very nice beach front roads but nothing as nice as that highway. Personally I doubt I could keep to the speed limits in that environment. That road begs to be driven fast. As for the sound my first thought is its certainly no where near motorcycle level which in this state they allow to be extremely loud as a safety issue which would be my first point to the cop should I ever get pulled over. The motorcycle crowds state its better to be seen (lights must be on at all times) & heard by others since they are so small so many officers never issue citations. The 40 would certainly qualify for that in my mind since the car is: A) very low and B) not that big overall.

I agree, I think the cop just wanted to check out the car. Lets face it many cops are car lovers too and seeing your "whip" is not something he (or she) will see everyday. The two times I've been pulled over in mine thats all they said to me..."what kind of car is this?" And, oh yeah, you need to slow down a bit. Right you are officer!

Thanks for posting the video.
BTW, do you run with the exhaust heat shield sitting over the megas or without it?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
No heat shield. They are coated inside and out and run pretty cool relatively speaking. The car is actually far louder than any Harley. I'm not sure you could even hear a Harley running next to it lol. That is one of the aspects I like about it being so loud. People hear you even if they don't see you.

Unbelievable how you can control yourself on these deserted roads. I would get up at 4 in the morning and just go for it...

This is why track days are so good, although you do need a nice track for that (like Spa-Francorchamps or Silverstone).

John

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That was my bro who is pretty mild mannered driving it and I didn't post anything too incriminating lol. There are so many police on some of these roads that are so nice that you really have to be careful to not get a $$$ ticket. That said, I don't beat on the car but occasionally it does get to clear it's throat...

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
2013090200.jpg

2013090202.jpg

2013090204.jpg

Finally got to hear your car make some music! What a great sound Mike! Thanks for sharing your videos and the spectacular Colorado scenery!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I am blessed to have such a fine car along with access to some of the greatest roads in the world and be able to call this place home. My address is Pinecliffe where I went over the railroad tracks. I live at 8800' up in the Rockies. Hard to beat life here :)

Mike, car looks great. Have you looked at dropping the ride height just a bit? If you could slot the tires just a bit into the fenders it might look a slight bit better.

I can't get over how good the paint looks, love that white/cream. So subtle yet brutal.

Kevin

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I did drop the back 1/2". My fear is two fold. I would need to drop both the front and the rear an inch to achieve the look I want. In doing so it would make it way easier to scrape the front and also to catch the bellhousing. It looks lower in person than it does in pictures but still, I would like to lower it some more. I would be interested in what everyone else is using for ride height?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Talk to Paul and got some baseline settings. Mine is setting about a 1/4" high front and rear. One must consider shock length and a couple other things when attempting to achieve a certain ride height and stance. Probably will make a minor adjustment for now and consider something much more in-depth over the winter.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Cops are guys just like us, they love cars and speed but it hard for them to view them on the road without making people nervous. I got a warning ticket for driving in the passing lane on the Oklahoma turnpike NOT speeding but driving in the passing lane, I told him the road was in poor condition on the right side, he then asked me what kind of car it was and if I thought it could beet his dodge charger, he was an OK kid but all he had to say is I would like to see your car.

Great Video dude!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
That's a great story Jack. You should have ask him if he wanted to race... On a track of course!

Back