Michael's GT-R Build

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Well, my GT-R arrived, and I am excited to say the least! This is my first kit, though I have restored several Corvettes. I think this will be a TOTALLY different ballgame.

It will be a street car, though I didn't opt for Superlite's street version. I'd rather have total control of trimming it out, etc.

The Ford Aluminator 5.2XS has been on order since February, so hope to see it soon.

I have the Graziano shifter on order with RCR.

John Burer and Ron McCall handled the drop gear set and Graziano. Thanks, guys! (That was the only thing in the garage for a few months!).

So far, all I've done is inventory everything (still a few items waiting to ship). I've also spend time standing in the shop staring and wondering what I've gotten myself into. My wife says she's going to be a "project widow" again, but I'll try to strike a balance between family, work, and the project. ;)

Out of curiosity, since there seem to be a lot of GT-R projects on the forum, would it make sense to split all the GT-R build logs into a different subset of the GT40 Technical Forums, so GT-R builds, etc. can all be together and easily accessible? Just wondering. I've been lurking for a while and have all the GT-R build threads watched anyway.

I look forward to everyone's advice and suggestions as I work through things, and I can't wait to meet some new friends! I am in Marietta, GA, so H is pretty close as is Steve. Valuable resources! I'm an Electrical Engineer in the Automation and Controls arena, so if anyone needs automation engineers... (shameless business plug...)

First items on my list (hopefully I'll be starting off in the right direction) include getting the suspension worked through and permanently installed, brake lines run and steering hub attached, tank pulled, modified (if I decide to), and mounted securely with the radiator pipes. Once my engine is here, I will mate it to the transaxle, install it and get all of the mounts, etc. set up properly, then see what room I have for all the accessories, tanks, wiring, and other bits that have to mount back there. Then it probably will come back out to give me room to install everything and get heat shielding / sound deadening stuff installed.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll need it!!!
2019-05-11 10.27.05.jpg
2019-05-11 13.38.10.jpg
2019-05-11 14.33.19.jpg
2019-05-11 14.33.34.jpg

Last edited:
Mike let me be the first to welcome you on board for the ride as you well know already there is a ton of information on this site and a ton of other builders willing to share so good luck and most of all have fun

Michael Hampson

Supporter
I would think that the seat brackets should curve inward at the bottom as the photo shows, to better hide the adjusters and hardware. So why is the RCR reversed?
2019-05-25 14.12.13.jpg

Well, my GT-R arrived, and I am excited to say the least! This is my first kit, though I have restored several Corvettes. I think this will be a TOTALLY different ballgame.

It will be a street car, though I didn't opt for Superlite's street version. I'd rather have total control of trimming it out, etc.

The Ford Aluminator 5.2XS has been on order since February, so hope to see it soon.

I have the Graziano shifter on order with RCR.

John Burer and Ron McCall handled the drop gear set and Graziano. Thanks, guys! (That was the only thing in the garage for a few months!).

So far, all I've done is inventory everything (still a few items waiting to ship). I've also spend time standing in the shop staring and wondering what I've gotten myself into. My wife says she's going to be a "project widow" again, but I'll try to strike a balance between family, work, and the project. ;)

Out of curiosity, since there seem to be a lot of GT-R projects on the forum, would it make sense to split all the GT-R build logs into a different subset of the GT40 Technical Forums, so GT-R builds, etc. can all be together and easily accessible? Just wondering. I've been lurking for a while and have all the GT-R build threads watched anyway.

I look forward to everyone's advice and suggestions as I work through things, and I can't wait to meet some new friends! I am in Marietta, GA, so H is pretty close as is Steve. Valuable resources! I'm an Electrical Engineer in the Automation and Controls arena, so if anyone needs automation engineers... (shameless business plug...)

First items on my list (hopefully I'll be starting off in the right direction) include getting the suspension worked through and permanently installed, brake lines run and steering hub attached, tank pulled, modified (if I decide to), and mounted securely with the radiator pipes. Once my engine is here, I will mate it to the transaxle, install it and get all of the mounts, etc. set up properly, then see what room I have for all the accessories, tanks, wiring, and other bits that have to mount back there. Then it probably will come back out to give me room to install everything and get heat shielding / sound deadening stuff installed.

Anyway, wish me luck. I'll need it!!!View attachment 98962View attachment 98963View attachment 98964View attachment 98965
If you need any 3d printed parts let me know! brake ducts etc

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Working on the splitter modification: Before I even got started, I noticed that the frame horns were uneven; the holes in the tub were almost 1/2" lower on one side than the other. I slotted the mounting holes in the horns to even them up.

2019-05-28 18.04.25.jpg

The lower extensions on the horns were interfering with the shocks, so I had to adjust that with the band saw.

2019-05-27 18.29.28.jpg

I moved the splitter to the top of the tub mount, cut the frame horns to provide the proper rake (1" in the back to 1 3/4" in the front... took two cuts since I didn't measure right the first time), and attached it all to verify everything matches and that there is still some adjustability. Tonight I will kitty hair the splitter per H's recommendation, then cut the recess for the coolant pipes.

2019-05-27 10.09.07.jpg

2019-05-28 18.05.03.jpg

I have some 1" OD ,1/2"ID aluminum bushings on the way from McMaster-Carr (92510A826) to replace the thin-wall tubing used to space the horns from the tub. Totally inappropriate.

2019-05-28 18.25.58.jpg

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Yes, that's what I ment Michael cause I have one in a 2013 Boss 302, a nice car to drive with 444 addvert HP and a 4000 pound car. I'd love to try it in a 40.
Paul, I think I saw somewhere that the intake has been installed backwards.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Monster of a motor. I'm gonna wanna know every little detail of making this thing fit. I may go this route or a 2015 coyote once I wrap my head around the intake woes
Paul,
Exactly what "intake woes" are you expecting? I have fitted a 2015 Coyote with a CJ intake on a GT-R with stock Superlite engine position as well as an Aluminator 5.2XS ( CJ intake as well) 3" lower and nearly 1" forward with no intake issues to speak of.

Ron

Paul,
Exactly what "intake woes" are you expecting? I have fitted a 2015 Coyote with a CJ intake on a GT-R with stock Superlite engine position as well as an Aluminator 5.2XS ( CJ intake as well) 3" lower and nearly 1" forward with no intake issues to speak of.

Ron
Ahh. Somewhere I read the cj intake not fitting the coyote motor. But this is nice to know information. Great to know that a viable solution

Michael Hampson

Supporter
Still working on the splitter. Been tough finding time with a busy summer. Heading to Philmont in two weeks with the Boy Scouts, so things will grind to a halt soon! Didn't work on the car much today... wife's Birthday! :)
2019-06-08 09.44.38.jpg

I put a few little blobs of hair on the splitter, then bolted it back onto the tub. It gave me the proper position when making the shelf.

2019-06-08 16.07.47.jpg

That Kitty hair is crazy to work with!

2019-06-09 15.51.29.jpg

Leveled out the low spots with body filler.

2019-06-09 21.06.22.jpg

Starting the ramped cutouts for the coolant, heater, and brake lines.

Back