Mike's drb #41 build

Thanks for the contact at Baum Iron. I spoke to them and a cable is being made today. Should arrive Tues/Weds.
Will update when it arrives.....

Long overdue for an update...
I got hit with that Photobucket hosting thing, but will start to refresh the blog with new image links.
Car has been running well. Hit a few cruise in locally this Summer. Took my supportive wife on a drive to dinner of course...

SFGH 2017 VMS by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Licence plate (4 WINS) and title/reg are all finished so no more Temp tags. Drove it to work a couple days for friends to admire.

IMG_6439 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Ned to do a video soon before the weather turns......

Thanks guys...
Hit another cruise in today...lots of admirers. Some even knew what 4WINS meant:thumbsup:
Afterwards took a cruise up the river road near my home ...26 miles of twisties up then back down...very few cars.....f***ing awesome drive.

Took a video and will try to get it posted this weekend.

Finally got around to editing a short video from one of my local "river runs".
HD camera works well, but I need a better mic source. Will work on that for future videos.
You will see my speedo is not working.
The VDO GPS sender has been glitchy and giving me goofy signals before going dead...new one is being sent. For the time being just downloaded a free Speedo App for the i Phone. Works fine.

Car is going to hibernate a couple months while I TLC that and some other items...Nose needs some paint touch-up and my front camber needs to get dialed back a bit.

video link below...
GT40 RIVER RUN 9-24-217 EDited part 2 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Well past due for an update...but not a WHOLE lot to say.
I am in process of re-linking pics after the Photobucket blow off.

Couple small things.
Having my seats out a few times showed that the pre-existing Rivnuts on back panel were not long lived. Way too easy easy to spin out. I pulled those and made a set of stainless plates with 1/4-28 nut-plates riveted on. Much longer lived....and easily replaceable if getting stripped.

IMG_6189 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_6183 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Wrapped up the nose paint touch up way back in Feb, but forgot to upload pics...try to do that tonight.

Slight modification to exhaust heat shields......Ditto....

So my wife has been wanting to get something fun or the summer. Does not want/need to always drive an SUV. We quickly settled on a 2nd gen Miata for several "obvious" reasons..cost, reliability, easy to work on, etc..... did not want to go down the MG pathway.
Found a great deal on a 2001...just wrapping it up for timing belt,hoses, filters,etc. She should be on the road very soon.

IMG_7003 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Happy girl with her summer toy:happy:

IMG_7013 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Speaking of roads, have had some good days here so the GT has been on 3 trips the past few weeks...up the river and so on.

Load those other pics soon.

So here are a few pics of my nose repaint.

Suffered lower scrapes while exiting a Cruise-in last simmer.....crappy parking lot....and later took a rock underneath while on a drive. Nothing serious structurally, but needed help.

A little Fiberglass repair was warranted.

DSCN9180 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_6924 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Decided it wise to add some protection for future instances where I may encounter a steep approach or exit angle. I cut some .250" nylon strips and attached using flush stainless screws/nuts. Beveled the edges for a cleaner look and feel. Invisible on the car unless you are laying on the ground.

IMG_6931 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_6945 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_6953 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_6964 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

The Alum panel just aft also took the rock hit...
Fabbed a new one and installed.

IMG_6926 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Last was a small rock chip on top, but it was also crazing/lifting the clear to about the size of a nickel.....refreshed that also.

IMG_6969 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

All in all went good....surely more Paint TLC next winter. The car needs to be driven.

Later.

Time for a quick update. I have been running the 40 at least once a week the past couple months.
No major issues, just routine tweaks and fine tuning as i get to know her better.
latest news:
My left foot was starting to wear a bit on the side panel carpet while operating the clutch pedal. A small stainless scuff plate was fabbed and installed to remedy that. Nicely mirrors the one by the gas pedal I put in last year.

IMG_7352 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

IMG_7371 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

The open space behind tanks and fwd the rear tires(inside the rocker panel) was trapping a lot of gravel and road debris. Elected to make a pair if rock shields to block that area. The rear clam wheel panel slides in between and seem sot work well so far.

Some bent aluminum and rubber trim. Held on with a few SS screws/nut-plates.

IMG_7793 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

Last and most important..
Installed my replacement fire bottle. Safecraft 5 lb unit. The old bottle lost charge due to "human error". Safecraft wanted approx $325 to refill that one. Happily found one for sale for approx 1/2 that cost with a good charge. A bit grungy, but some fresh paint and good to go.

IMG_7674 by Mike Sirr, on Flickr

When/If this one needs replaced I will likely convert to another brand. One that I can service locally or by myself.

Still have not purchased a HD camera with remote Mic input, but I think my I-phone will suffice with a lightening port Mic. Hope to try that soon.

Later.

Back