MKI OR MKII?

Hi,
The terms (Mk2) 'A' & 'B' were not used in period. They have been adopted by various writers & replica manufacturers to give a quick way of describing '1966 spec' or '1967 spec'.

There are many differences between the '66 & '67 Mk2s, those that come to mind easily include,
Front mounted spare wheel '66 / rear mounted '67
Twin luggage boxes '66 / single '67
Single carb. '66 / twin carbs '67
Passenger door cut just above the side window with roof piece fixed to the main roof on '67
Roll cage fitted for '67
Front mounted oil tank '66 / rear on '67
Front body cut away below grille opening on '67
etc...
Then factor in the differences between the Shelby, Holman Moody & Alan Mann prepared cars !
ie. The Shelby cars for 1966 had a divider in the hood opening, the Holman Moody cars don't.

Also bare in mind that some cars such as 1016 had lives after Le Mans '66, repainted & updated to 1967 'B' specification.
For instance although 1016 is beautifully & sympathetically restored and returned to its 1966 'A' colour, if you look at it today you will see a combination of 1966 'A' and 1967 'B' features, (such as the 1967 dashboard, etc).

Regards Steve

Hi,
The terms (Mk2) 'A' & 'B' were not used in period. They have been adopted by various writers & replica manufacturers to give a quick way of describing '1966 spec' or '1967 spec'.

There are many differences between the '66 & '67 Mk2s, those that come to mind easily include,
Front mounted spare wheel '66 / rear mounted '67
Twin luggage boxes '66 / single '67
Single carb. '66 / twin carbs '67
Passenger door cut just above the side window with roof piece fixed to the main roof on '67
Roll cage fitted for '67
Front mounted oil tank '66 / rear on '67
Front body cut away below grille opening on '67
etc...
Then factor in the differences between the Shelby, Holman Moody & Alan Mann prepared cars !
ie. The Shelby cars for 1966 had a divider in the hood opening, the Holman Moody cars don't.

Also bare in mind that some cars such as 1016 had lives after Le Mans '66, repainted & updated to 1967 'B' specification.
For instance although 1016 is beautifully & sympathetically restored and returned to its 1966 'A' colour, if you look at it today you will see a combination of 1966 'A' and 1967 'B' features, (such as the 1967 dashboard, etc).

Regards Steve

Great info Steve. I have learned so much on this site.

I’m still confused on what to decide to do.

Any more stories of why you decided on a MKI verses an MKII?

Steve

Where does one buy a MK3 kit?

Cheers!!

Doug

Hi Doug

The MK3 kit was made by KVA in the 1980's, there are still a few about that never got built/un-finished projects - and with today's technologies and the internet can be built into a nice alternative to a MK1 or MK2

Tony

Attachments

• Ford GT40 Mk3.JPG
    Ford GT40 Mk3.JPG
    714.7 KB · Views: 311

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hi Doug

The MK3 kit was made by KVA in the 1980's, there are still a few about that never got built/un-finished projects - and with today's technologies and the internet can be built into a nice alternative to a MK1 or MK2

Tony

My goodness, Tony...that is a truly GORGEOUS car, Tony! I like the Mk3 because they had roll-down windows, but if I had to guess I'd bet the replica you showed me was built with stationary windows...but I'd hope I am wrong!

I'm located smack, dab in the middle of the United States, but I'm guessing you're located in England, or parts thereabout...is there a dealer organization or other organization that might sell this Mk3 product here in the U.S.A., or will I just have to keep my eye open for an almost 40 year old product?

Yes!!!...that's my dream car, for sure! LOVE the way a 40 looks with wire wheels, but you never see them built that way!

Cheers, Tony!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
My goodness, Tony...that is a truly GORGEOUS car, Tony! I like the Mk3 because they had roll-down windows, but if I had to guess I'd bet the replica you showed me was built with stationary windows...but I'd hope I am wrong!

I'm located smack, dab in the middle of the United States, but I'm guessing you're located in England, or parts thereabout...is there a dealer organization or other organization that might sell this Mk3 product here in the U.S.A., or will I just have to keep my eye open for an almost 40 year old product?

Yes!!!...that's my dream car, for sure! LOVE the way a 40 looks with wire wheels, but you never see them built that way!

Cheers, Tony!

Doug
Actually the MK III windows did NOT roll down, the swung out to vent. Still hard to use at the drive through!

Gale

Supporter
Something else to add to the mkIIb. The body has been mildly reshaped front and rear. The area in front of the front tire under the headlights has been reshaped to move the air to the sides and help reduce tire turblance and with added tire width at the rear the back body was widened and faired into the lower body panel much like was seen on the later Mk1s. Gives the mkii (my personal favorite) a look of being on steroids. A look i like. The car I'm building has a 427 FE with dual quads. I like the cleaner look with out the periscopes or plexiglass air vent on the rear deck. The front break ducts were closed off and the openings were moved just behind the radiator to supply warmer air to the front disks. On the long mulsanne straight they tended to cool to much during the night and crack the disks. Btw...mkIIb was the official designation for the 67 Lemans entrants (there were 3) which was the first time the moniker was used.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I used to be a SOLID MKI fan...perhaps because I owned a 2006 GT and the two cars have the same silhouette.

But lately I've been vacillating because I've always been a big block fan...and because I've seen this nasty looking thing:

imgp.php

Imagine this beast equipped with a Robert Pond aluminum block-based 496 F.E. clone and a Graziano 5-speed.

(You've probably surmised "twisties" aren't really my end-all-and-be-all. ;))

Last edited:
I used to be a SOLID MKI fan...perhaps because I owned a 2006 GT and the two cars have the same silhouette.

But lately I've been vacillating because I've always been a big block fan...and because I've seen this nasty looking thing:

imgp.php

Imagine this beast equipped with a Robert Pond aluminum block-based 496 F.E. clone and a Graziano 5-speed.

(You've probably surmised "twisties" aren't really my end-all-and-be-all. ;))

I agree, that is one BAMF!

Mark 3 side window open ! (hinged at the front)

Gale, thanks, I guess that makes sense as the change to twin carbs for instance would need to be homologated.

Regards Steve

Attachments

• 1966_Ford_GT40MarkIII1.jpg
    1966_Ford_GT40MarkIII1.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 278
Back