MKII rear spoiler mod

While installing the wireless backup camera on my car, I noticed how much deris was stuck between the spoiler and the body of the car. There are six fasterners that hold this on and they act to press the painted spoiler agains the painted clamshell. Any small debris works it's way into the crevise between the two and starts to scratch the paint.

I took the spoiler off with the thought of placing nylon fender washers between the two surfaces. When disassembling this, I found that the machined receptacle inside the rear clamshell was not flat to the inner surface. The holes drilled in the rear clam were too small to allow the receptacle to sit flush. I also found that the machined outer piece was digging into the spoiler paint.

I went to Home Depot and got a 7/16" drill bit and I found 1/4" x 1-1/4" rubber fender washers which I think will work better than the nylon. These were $0.73 each and I got 12. The 7/16" hole is slightly oversized which allows for alignment issues. Drilling into the existing locations, even with blue tape, caused me some frowns as the edges chipped slightly due to the aggressive nature of the large bit. This is easily covered by the washer and fastener though.

So now I have a rubber washer between teh outer faster and the spoiler and one between the spoiler and the clamshell. The finished product looks good I think. It also puts about a 1/16" gap between the spoiler and the clamshell to make cleaning easier.

Attachments

• spoiler fastener.jpg
    spoiler fastener.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 449
  • gap.jpg
    gap.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 383

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike, I really like the color of your car, it really was a beaut to look at in RA. You did win first place at the Car show didn't you?

Thanks Jack - it is the standard Indigo Blue from SPF.

I did not win first place - but RESERVE. I think I heard the name Dr. Albert Pecherek was first place. I was trying to figure out what car he had.

Regards,
Mike

Mike,

I agree with the other Jack(Houpe): your indigo blue MK11 is stunning, especially in person.

I enjoyed meeting you and your wife at the Concours in front of Siebkens. I hope your trip back home was OK.

Jack

Hi Jack!

It was real nice talking to you at the Concours! We had a great time there.

The car is still in So Cal...taking time to fix/modify a few things while it is near the SPF HQ. Not sure when I will launch it back to Oregon - maybe when there is snow on the ground! I will need to get some chains for the tires and a snow plow for the front.

Mike

I too like the mod. It will definately aid in water run-off when cleaning but I have a concern. Has any thought been given to buffeting at high speed and the potential of flex in the fiberglass ie, cracking or will the rubber isolate it enough?

Rich.

Good question - I suppose I will find out over time.

Check your install and look at the size of the holes in the clamshell and see if the inner machined parts are flush with the inside clamshell surface. On mine, none were sitting flush and the contact areas were small stress risers around the hole area. The outside machine parts were digging into the spoiler as well. Now. the contact surfce is the entire machined part (about 1" diameter) and parts are sandwiched snuggly.

Mike

Back