MkIII @ Barrett-Jackson

I was just watching the Barrett-Jackson and a RH drive MkIII just sold for $295,000.

Wow!

Doug

Gall Dangit! I was looking for lot 741 which was a CAV GT40 and the TV coverage stopped before it came up and it doesn't show on today's results...did anyone see what it went for?

That's what's irritating...it didn't show up as being sold after the auction!

Wonder if it was withdrawn...it had no reserve and I wonder if the seller got nervous.

Here are the results that I was able to look up for a MK 1 and a MK 3:

687 1967 FORD GT 40 MARK III COUPE SOLD 318,600
2003-BJCCA
• 698 1967 FORD GT 40 MARK 1 SOLD 347,760
2003-BJCCA

Mike

$118,000!?!?! To quote P.T. Barnum,"There's a sucker born every minute"

At that price, we'll be seeing a few replica 40's at Barrett Jackson next year! Maybe mine?!

Bill

$118,000 is ridiculous for a CAV, it was probably purchased by one of the guys that lost the bidding on a real one, and figured he'd at least go home with something...

But that price isn't half as ridiculous as the Shelby GT500 "Eleanor" replica...$175.000!!! No, not the actual car from "Gone in 60 Seconds," but a clone! In this economy, it's amazing how some people have such money to burn...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maxwell S. Fischer:
"...But that price isn't half as ridiculous as the Shelby GT500 "Eleanor" replica...$175.000!!! No, not the actual car from "Gone in 60 Seconds," but a clone! In this economy, it's amazing how some people have such money to burn...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually...

http://www.sandersonsales.com/eleanor.html

Keep in mind the following:

1. Shelby had nothing to do with the GT500 "Eleanor" car from the second GI60S movie.
2. Sanderson didn't design the car.
3. The original GT500 had a 428 Police Intercepter engine - not a 289/302 (the SBF was in the GT350).
4. The original car was BRAND NEW.
5. A COMPLETE kit for the "Eleanor" GT500 is available on the internet for about $5,000 + wheels/tires...So the "selling price" of $120K-$150K was arrived at how?
6. This is why auctions are not always a great idea. If you can buy the big block "Eleanor" kit car from Sanderson for $150K, why would you bid $175K for it at an auction? Heat of the moment? Another 'smoke and mirrors' sale of something for the (hee hee!) "Shelby Children's Heart Fund"?

Hmmm.

I had though that the lowest Shelby could go was to stick his name on some repackaged chili powder. I was wrong. Apparently, you can take someone else's design, sign your name to it, and everyone will think it's yours.

Your pal,
Meat.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Hear, hear. In the restaurant business, they say "people don't buy the steaks, they buy the sizzle." This is a godd example of sizzle, if you ask me; a triumph of appearance over actual content.

Shelby prepared and crewed my MK-IV at LeMans. Indeed a piece of his belt was used to make the hindge for the tail after it blew off on the Mulsanne. He did some amazing things. IMHO it's very sad to see what has become of him especially in comparision to Holman and Moody.

I too was somewhat amazed that a "Gussied Up" Mustang in Shelby trim, that looked like some kinda' cross between an Import street racer and a 60's muscle car sold for that much money... what kinda' person whould want something like that...especially for that kind of dough? (can I say "idiot" without offending anyone?)

I'm also very disappointed in Carroll Shelby, I don't care if it was for the Heart Fund or Children's Charity... he should have at least made some kind of disclaimer...

Makes me want to hurry up and sell my GT350 (btw, mu buddy has got a pretty good offer on the table) so I can get started on my GT40 project...

David Berry

I too was somewhat amazed that a "Gussied Up" Mustang in Shelby trim, that looked like some kinda' cross between an Import street racer and a 60's muscle car sold for that much money... what kinda' person whould want something like that...especially for that kind of dough? (can I say "idiot" without offending anyone?)

I'm also very disappointed in Carroll Shelby, I don't care if it was for the Heart Fund or Children's Charity... he should have at least made some kind of disclaimer...

Makes me want to hurry up and sell my GT350 (btw, my buddy has got a pretty good offer on the table) so I can get started on my GT40 project...

David Berry

Well if CAV's are going to fetch $118k, lets all make an agreement to take turns each year taking one so the market doesn't get flooded.

Man, that's amazing...there was a perfectly good brand new one on EBAY for $75k...

Nice CAV on ebay

I think everyone was surprised at the
"low" prices that the two original GT40s
achieved. You can say it was the economy...
but that didn't stop bidders from posting
some darn high bids on other cars.

It may be the "re-sellers" are worried that
the new (lower priced) Ford GT will saturate the market for this small niche.

My favorite moment of the BJ auction was when
Reggie Jackson's 1969 ZL-1 Camaro got bid
(no sale) to $ 275,000. When the crowd found
out that Reggie refused to lower his $ 330k
reserve, he was soundly booed!!!

MikeD

I'm not sure the prices were so suprising - the realistic range for several years has been USD 300-500000 with more at the lower end and only a few blips above - like for shares(stocks) for cars we have simply returned to 1998 values

Back