MKIIs?

Andrew,

Sears Point is, what, less than an hour away?
80 West to Columbus Pkwy, which becomes
Sears Point Pkwy.

And Laguna Seca is maybe 3 - 4 hours.

That's where I'll be heading when I actually
get to purchase/build. I might pop over to
Sac a few times just for kicks, heck, it's
only 5 minutes from my garage.

Ian

thanks for the info

but hey, i thought sears point was just an oval course?? thats why i didnt know, oval isnt interesting to me, ilike tracks like laguna seca and the kinda tracks the Indy's run

Andrew-

I've read through this thread and would like to pass on some things you should really consider before embarking on this journey. Drag racing a big block GT40 is going to be expensive, and probably dissappointing. Power shifting a Cobra or Mustang with a Hurst shifter and top-loader 4-speed does not compare with a T44/ZF/016 gearox and a six-foot, tubular/heim-jointed shifting mechanism. These cars were designed and built for superior handling and aerodynamics, with power being a secondary consideration (why do you think Ford raced the MKII's with de-tuned NASCAR engines?) If your heart is set on racing the locals at the drag strip, I would encourage much investigation and research into what it would take, costs, repair expenses, etc., so you know what the trip is going to cost. And, if you really pursue building a big-block, you will find very few items needed to build the car will be available from a junkyard. Good luck!

Jack

Sears Point is one of the great road courses in the country - also one of the most difficult. Behold:
generalfacility_map.jpg

Ian, you also neglected to mention Thunderhill, which is about an hour and a half from Sacramento up Highway 5:
Trackmap.gif

wow, thanx, iook into that later on, but for now its become secondary in my car wants. ive decided im gonna build a pro-2 corr race truck. that seems to be what i really want for now, and it'll only cost about as much as a GT40 to build and offroad racing is my love in life....figure ill race the sportsmen class inmy spare time and hopefully work my way up to some big time stuff for fun.(even if i dont work up, it'll still make a great vacation hobby)

Thanks Steve,

Don't know why I keep forgetting about TH!
I've got friends who go up there quite a bit.
Guess I keep forgetting that there is life
in CA north of Sacto.

I just sure hope they don't build a NASCAR
super speedway in Oroville as the rumors say.

Ian

Back