MKIIs?

ok im curious, who makes an MK2?? i know era does, but ive heard something about no AC and the windows arent able to roll down.

so is there an adation you can buy to have windows that will roll down?? now AC is no biggy, AC is just a fancy way of saying "windows rolled down at 60mph"

i know it'l cost sumin like 100k when im done, but im not concerned about that for now...considering i can buy it piece by piece and after the tech school im gonna build a prolite racer for the beginners class to make some money(pro-lite is a form of offroad truck racing, shortcourse style)

Andrew,

If you really want a big block in a MkII, then
ERA is the only solution currently. If you
just want a MkII body but small block engine,
RF has that covered. As far as I know, that's
it for MkIIs (except Holman-Moody, but that's
not really an option).

Only the MkIIIs had true roll down windows.
Actually, only the bottom half rolled down
IIRC. Any replica could probably have this
kind of modification done, just need to find
someone who can do it.

Ian

whats the website for GTsupercars??? that way i can keep up with it when it comes out and make my decision

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
No '40 had roll downs of any sort. The MK III had full swing outs, i.e. no "portholes" but the windows did not roll down. Look at the cross section of the door, the window is out flush with the door frame and the body contour tucks in under the bottom of the window. Where would the window roll down into? The air?

I am curious to see how Ford will handle this on the new GT 40.

Rick

RF have the AC covered as well. It's standard fitment.

The reality is that the GT40's cabin would be way too hot otherwise. With hot air from the nostrils surounding the bodywork, radiator pipes running through the cockpit, and the engine bay just inches from your left shoulder, it never stood a chance.

The original GT40s tried to solve the problem by piping cool air through the seats (hence the hole studs in the seats) without much success. The race drivers were asked to just grin and bare it.

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

what about the era MKII? does it happen to have AC. and if not how hard do you think it would be to get??

...iuf all else fail maybe ill redneck it. i think they make portable camping ACs....maybe ill route it to the battery and hae it sit somewhere

The ERA Mk II with a 427 FE does not have A/C. You can get the Mk II body shape witha small block and A/C.

Be forwarned, that a 427FE will require a special transmission, and the last I heard they run about $25K.

I checked out the GT website, but information regarding suspension components was not listed. Does anyone know the type components they use?

Bill D

[ August 08, 2002: Message edited by: Bill D ]

im pretty sure i can find smin a junkeyard for alot cheaper then 25 grand.

what do they use on the 427 cobra kits?? i msure theres a way you could mount that same tranny

Andrew-

The transmission for the 427 FE in a GT40 is very special. Here is the explnation from the ERA site:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>The Mk I's ZF transaxle was found to be inadequate for the big block's torque. Because of time constraints, the guts of the ubiquitous Top-Loader found its way into a new Ford-designed case with quick change gears at the far end of the case for fast ratio changes. There were only 4 speeds, but with all that torque, nobody complained. First gear was good for almost 100 mph! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill D

OOOHHH!! i didnt realize they went into that much detail, i figured they used a normal tranny. i know that the original had 4-speeds, but the replica oh my my. well ill have to think about that...25k...sheesh cant believe they'd try to jack u like that...

Andrew,

People are pretty loose with terminology around here using the terms interchangeably, but do you understand the difference between a transmission and a transaxle? And why a Cobra has a transmission while a GT40 has a transaxle?

Andrew et al-

Just spoke with Peter at ERA about the 427 FE and what transmission they are using. They said they use a ZF with a special adapter. The T44 is still under development.

As for A/C, Peter said they are still trying to get it to fit, but hadn't yet. They are about 3 weeks away on working out the bugs/details.

Hope that clears any confusion up.

Bill D

For high torque/HP applications we have been talking with Quaife concerning their new tranaxle. Please see the "Quaife... things are looking up" (otherwise know as the dreamer thread) thread in the engines and trans topic area.

well this is pretty awsome and i have decided on what m gonna buy for when i do. i emailed GTsupercars, now after factory five and era, i figured id have to wait 3-4 days before i got my reply, got it the same day(thats what i call service) anyways i asked about a 427 and such into their GT40s. he told be that if say i bough an MKI with a 302 and wanted more umph in kit car. all i would have to do is order the mounts and the body styling for the MK2. would need any hacking or meshing or anything direct drop in(as long as i had the right transaxle) not to mention that i get AC and its cheaper then an era
grin.gif

I spoke to John Hester about his big block MK II kit and he said he planned to offer the same trans adapters as the MK I kit.

Therefore you will be able to install as cheap (Audi 016) or as expensive (ZF/RBT)
a trans as you want.

How long each will last is a function of your right foot!

MikeDD

well ill have to save for a very strong transaxel. i already know what ill be doing in my spare time when i get it in awhile. i live an hour away from sacramento raceway, a drag strip
smile.gif
the place is swarming with rice rockets and idiots in sweet muscle cars who dont appreciate the classics and the joys of having a restored muscle car thats unique.

could u immagine someone trying to race an MKII??

i know its one of those little teenager impulses, but its one ill never lose, nt as long as im driving fast 4 fun

what about that new transaxel? the cheaper like 9,000 dollar one you think that would hold up nicely? wish i could remembr the name of it. someone mentioned it above and guided me towards another thread

of course not, but it'd blow away most of the things you see there(i dont mean pro street or anything like that) most of there are just people with suped up cars that are their daily drivers trying to get some good times, id just go to have some fun.

plus i dont know the whereabouts of the closest short course race way with winding turns and such, so im kinda stuck to the strip till then...ill have to get directions

but id mostly want the MKII because its my baby its my dream car, a car you'd rarely see...especially in my small town where a cobra kit is unreal...(how did they ever afford it) yet it isnt that expensive

Back