More New Upgrades

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

Well after three years of head scratching (and banging) we're ready to release the new Front Uprights. The first sets are already being shipped.

These peices join our new Rear Uprights and are also intended for use on the "100 Series" cars manufactured by or with the parts from the original Cape Advanced Vehicles.

Owners of post 100 s/n cars already have upgrades built in from Autofutura so these parts don't apply to you.

The new Front Uprights use the same CNC machined billet steel center as our Rear Uprights. The cooling holes lighten the part while reducing bearing and brake temperatures. The holes actually feed the inside of the brake rotor vents.

Also we've inclined the upper ball joint mount to give back about 5 degrees of ball joint angularity, needed for lower ride heights and larger (than 24" dia) tires.

The steering arm ratio is as stock however the pickup point has moved inwards to optimize Ackerman angles. This improves steering response on initial turn in and throughout the corner.

The Castor angle is zero in the upright and the kingpin angle runs through the axle center. Castor is dialed in by moving the upper control arms in their slots, you can get 4>6 degrees depending on how much weight and steering return to center you want.

The concentric kingpin angle reduces shimmy and bump steer in the steering wheel. This is a subtle effect as the bump steer is minimal at normal ride height, however the wheel will feel more direct and linear.

These are bolt in parts that use your existing A-arms, Ball Joints and Tie Rods. Of course the alignment will have to be re done. A nice weekend project. There is a core credit for your old parts so it doesn't hurt so bad.

Steel parts are about three times stronger than aluminum parts of equal weight, that's the nature of the metal. While our new Rear Uprights weigh the same as the stock castings, our new Front Uprights are about .5kg heavier each. While I hate putting any weight on a car, a couple of pounds total for parts three times the strength is worth it.

Plus they look cool...

Attachments

• NewFrontUpright.jpg
    NewFrontUpright.jpg
    308.9 KB · Views: 1,164
  • OldvsNewFrontUpright2.jpg
    OldvsNewFrontUpright2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,120
  • OldvsNewFrontUpright.jpg
    OldvsNewFrontUpright.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 1,113
Ian,
Do you have some pictures of the new front upright installed in a car, I would like to see how it all looks.
Thanks!
Ken J

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ken,

The first sets were sent out before pics were taken. We are installing a set on Angelos Gulf car so you'll see how they look then. The parts are just amazing. Holding one in your hand and realizing it's only a bit more than a pound heavier than the aluminum billet part it replaces really makes all the developement work, test parts and late nights worth while.

The most important aspect of the new front uprights are more than just eliminating the possibilty of bolted together parts working loose, it's in the improved geometry of the hubs, strength, suspension travel, geometry and cooling.

Adding 5 degrees incline to the upper ball joint mount takes care of binding up that joint in bump. Optimising the Ackerman required moving the tier rod over 25mm to improves cornering and feel. Making all castor adjustments at the chassis instead of in the hub naturally tilts the steering arm up so bump steer is further reduced. Take another look at the pictures again and you'll see what I mean.

The changes made could only by achieved by putting the ball joints and tie rods in the right place at the right angles. It cannot be done with the stock upright geometry and dimensions.

I'll get the on-car pics up as soon as possible. These parts are meant for more severe use, like track days or driving at the upper end of the cars performance envelope.

Steel has three times the strength of aluminum and the break away mode is also quite different. It's important to note because the need for stronger uprights has been raised already.

In fairness to the original uprights made by Cape Advanced Vehilces (pre Autofutura), I don't believe any failied on their own, there was either an assembly, maintainance or impact issue that preceded the event (or combination of the three).

Our uprights give a tremendous increase in strength, functionality, cooling and are bolt on parts. They are also very labour and machine time intensive to make. In as much as I'd like to sell all four corners at a time, the fronts are available on their own at 2,990 pair with new SKF bearings, less a 600 core credit for the old parts.

Delivery time is about 10 days from order. We can outfit the hub carriers to accept any brake caliper mounts if your going to bigger brakes, just send us the new brakes and we'll make it all good.

Although it's impossible to predict the outcome of a curb, pot hole or other sudden impact affecting the life of suspension components, it is well known that steel parts are more likely to bend than break away like aluminum ones.

That's got to be better than having the "wheels fall off your wagon", as the saying goes... It's also why most classes of professional racing do not allow aluminum uprights.

Also coming soon, the ultimate front upper control arm for CAVs, something that will appeal to the "AAAA" crowd LOL.

Cheers

Last edited:

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ken,

Here's some pics of the new front uprights as installed on a customer car. His technician reported no problems in fitting the parts btw. We've had several more orders for these parts, that's gratifying because it takes a lot of resources to pull off specialized parts in low volumes, thanks guys.

Attachments

• NewFrontUpright1.jpg
    NewFrontUpright1.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 915
  • NewFrontUpright2.jpg
    NewFrontUpright2.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 883
  • NewFrontUpright3.jpg
    NewFrontUpright3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 898
I just completed a 1000 mile roundtrip to Monterey. I had installed Ian's new uprights and my new stub axles and CV's/axles. The car rode great and the turn in is crisper and the handling is even more nuetral than before.
I want to comment on how much my car has been improved by the addition of Ian's upgrades. I have his uprights, lower rear control arms, ZF trans mount, locking gas caps and his screen for the radiator and cooling openings.
I have always felt that some of the original components of the early CAV cars were under engineered, the car was designed for a crate motor and a Renault trans, but who can resist a bigger engine and all the expectation that goes with it?
Now when I go to the track I will feel confident enough to put on some slicks and actaully drive the car, instead of pussyfooting around trying not to hold up the Miata's and Mini's!
Dave

He puts quite a bit of thought into his products and his customer service is great, he is always available when you call him and is always willing to share ideas and talk GT40's.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Thanks Dave,

You're making me blush through all the blood sweat and tears that goes into making these parts:)

It seems like just about the time the CAV GT was introduced the market for quality GT40 replicas was really gaining (and continues) momentum. The CAV GT was designed to raise the bar on mid market priced cars, however with a brutaly strong stainless steel monocoque chassis, aircraft certified bladder fuel cells, pin drive BRM wheels, exeptional paint and interior trim levels, proper gauges and switches etc. it's easy to see why so many CAV owners have stepped up for the proper ZF box, big power and the upgrades we make to extract the most from the chassis.

So I believe the early CAV GT was engineered for the old mid market, 302 4bbl donour motor, Audi 5000 gearbox and just look cool cruising around.

Now what we are capable of building on the early "100 Series" CAV platform (with the right drivetrain and suspension upgrades) is car that can run with the best of contemporary supercars, great fun!

While you were at Monterey, I was putting some test miles on our latest customer car, it ran really, really well and I caught myself thinking "this drives like a real car". A seemingly simple statement but incredibly hard to achieve as anyone whose built a car can attest.

Thanks again for your comments, glad you're enjoying the car.

Cheers

the handling is even more nuetral than before.\

Now when I go to the track I will feel confident enough to put on some slicks and actaully drive the car, instead of pussyfooting around trying not to hold up the Miata's and Mini's!
Dave

"more neutral"? how is this possible?

i'm one of those MINI's on slicks that you couldn't hold off before (i'm acutally on the other coast, but i know what you mean). i will be driving a GT40 in the near future. congrats on having already accomplished this milestone. i get to the track about once a month, but the terminal velocity of the MINI is a problem. i think that the hp/weight ratio of the 40 should solve this problem. i'm happy that there are vendors out there that are working to make the 40 a formidable track car.

The first time I had the 40 at the track was the inside course at California Speedway, not the perfect venue for a 40 under the best of circumstances but still fun. There were a variety of cars there, a Porsche GT( driven slowly) which I easily passed and a new mini all tricked out with slicks and a full cage. After the first lap I had no brakes and the oil temp was at 300 degrees so I was not running at full capability but the mini was way quicker anyway!
Now I could probably put up a better effort but who knows how fast that mini is today?
Track work is different than most people realize, one the most extreme examples of that I witnessed during an IT race at Buttonwillow, an ITA Honda Civic was chasing down a Viper, the 1600 cc Honda sounded like an Indy car and if he would have had 130 hp instead of 120, he would have been able to pass the Viper.
The smaller, lighter car usually has a higher exit speed and does not have to accelerate as hard as a heavier, higher horse power car to stay ahead.
Dave

Hi Guy's
I Have Ian's Suspension upgrades for both front and back.
I have an earliear chassis #30 I have had failures on the Left front and rear right. After installing CAV CANADA'S A ARMS & HUBS I feel more confident in driving the car like it should be driven (hard & fast ) especially in the corners.There is no bumpsteer , seems like the car hugs the road better now. It is ready for some track days now. It is good that there is somebody working @ upgrades for these pre 100 chasis's.
Pete
CAV 30
Yellow/Blk stripes
347 stroker/ Dart block
Z/F 5 speed/ CAV CANADA Shifter Upgrade
SPF1175
Porsche Cayenne TT
06 BMW 550

Looks like a beautiful piece of work Ian. I suspect I'll be calling you and placing an order for front uprights shortly.

Unfortunately, I had a front suspension failure occur while driving modestly down the local freeway here. It was a non-fatal incident, but definitely hairy. To be precise, the upright did not fail, rather, the top two bolts attaching the upright to the ball joint block failed. I believe the two bolts loosened over time allowing the ball joint block to move away from the upright sufficiently to put a sheer force upon the bolt which it couldn't handle. I can only imagine how bad things could have been had this happened on the track at speed.

I encourage anyone who owns an earlier CAV to absolutely check the upright bolts on a regular basis and if they are loose to reapply locktite. To get the car back on the road I ended up using very long 12.9 bolts which thread all the way through the ball joint block and then have a lock nut on the outside (and threadlocked).

Thanks Ian for a super nice upgrade option.

Chuck,
I had one of the hex bolts that is mounted to the block on the front fail. Luckily that was in my driveway. The rear is a differant story. The long pin that goes through the bottom ARM broke of at 25-30 mph speed. Again with luck on my side there was minimum body damage. The right rear of the body draged on the roadway. The broken wheel scuffed the inside fenderwalls,There was wheel damage to the inside of the 17" rims. That was the scariest event DO not want any thing like that happening again.I will try to dig up some pics that I have somewhere.
Pete

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the feedback. It's astonishing how much the CAV GT responds to some relatively small changes in upright geometry front and rear. Credit the strong monocoque chassis for allowing these refinements to shine through.

Our first suspension upgrade was the rear lower reversed a-arms http://www.gt40s.com/forum/cav-gt40-talk/18170-new-arm-kit.html , the change in feel and car control was apparent even at low speed around town. Since you already had the rear arms, completing the set by adding the new uprights really brought it all together.

The upgraded lower clevis bolt and mounted block kit we sent out to all our suspension arm customers cured the bending of the the clevis bolts. They are taking the full corner weight and brake torque loads after all.

Hi Cliff,

Looking forward to your order! There's a package price for picking up the new Reversed Lower A-Arms in addition to the core return credit.

CAV Canada did post an upgrade for the front uprights last year, since the new steel uprights weren't ready. You're solution to the mounting block bolts was similar to ours. Who said necessity was the mother of invention! http://www.gt40s.com/forum/cav-gt40-talk/19726-front-upright-upgrade.html

All upgrades designed by CAV Canada have to meet a design breif that includes: performance improvements, functionalty to ease installation and maintainance, come as close as possible to the original Ford GT40 part as possible using todays materials and technologies, able to be installed with basic tools we all have.

We strive to hit all the bases with our parts, It was suggested to me by another customer that cars equipped with CAV Canada upgrdes will also be worth more at sale time. I have to agree with him:)

Cheers

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Both my bottom rear long bolts were bent.....

All four of the bolts holding the front tie rod ball joints were loose....

I guess I'm just lucky?

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

It should be pointed out that the upgrades CAV Canada is producing are specifically intended for use on the CAV GTs produced with parts manufactured/supplied by the original vendor Cape Advanced Vehicles (CAV) or what's becoming known as the "Series 100" cars.

The new CAV GT produced by Autofutura, post 100 s/n features a whole suite of upgrades and refinements built in. The continued success of the CAV GT is further evidenced that production is now past 145 cars. No small feat for a speciality car company, bravo John and Jean!

Cheers

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Guys,

This is a follow up with revisions to our steel front uprights. Plus there's a sale on, 10% off for a limited time:) Also a reminder, these parts are designed for the "Series 100" cars before Autofuturas' production from s/n 100, all of which have factory upgrades.

We've changed the steering arm to include a CNC cut lightening hole and added a shoulder to the tie rod sleeve. The sleeve was fine before, however by adding the shoulder it's impossible (I hope) for the sleeve to get welded inplace upside down.

Also it looks cool in black, with metallic aluminum and charcoal metallic still available. The picture also shows the CNC'd bare metal part all tig welded. Then we finish all edges, media blast, clean, install bearings, mask and paint, install new C-Clips, Bearings and your hubs.

As before, new SKF bearings are fitted to your stub axles from your cores. We also supply a new torque nut to set the bearing.

The price of 1495.00 each works out to 1045.50 each after the 10% discount and 300.00 core credit for your rebuildable old parts. That's a deal!

Vastly superior part, better steering, better grip, better brake and bearing cooling not to mention about three times the strength.

For the cars with 17" rims, we are going to offer a big brake kit, stay tuned...

Cheers

Attachments

• RPCAV-FrontCompUprights1.jpg
    RPCAV-FrontCompUprights1.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 401
Back