MORE NEWS FROM MONTEREY

I was talking to the Superformance guys at the Concourso Italiano on friday in Monterey while I was checking out the new daytona coupe. I was able to meet Pete Brock and he had a lot of info to share on the new coupe. Anyway, one of the factory reps was standing near by so I asked him if it was true that Superformance was going to build a GT40 replica. He told me that not only were they going to build one, but they already have a running prototype. It is a GT40 MKIIB that is an exact copy of the original and will come complete with transaxle (no engine) for $80,000 and should be available next spring. Needless to say I was shocked. I asked what transaxle they would be using and was told it would be the same as the original car. I found this hard to believe as the MKII's had T44's which are very expensive. He said they were making their own castings based on an original box and will manufacture all the internal components at their factory. He went on to tell me that they had purchased a completely disassembled car from an American Airlines pilot who had purchased the car 20yrs ago at an auction and were using it for patterns. I found the story hard to believe, but that is what I was told. He went on to tell me that after the GT40 they will be coming out with a gull wing 300SL mercedes. Well guys, is this really happening? Only time will tell.

PatGT40 it's true. SPF are making a GT40. As for the specifics I don't know. Before I bought the CAV GT40 I was talking to the dealer but the wait was still a year away and no pricing info. If it's as good as their cobra (mark III) I'm sure the GT40 will be excellent as well. I will have to put one beside my CAV and see the differences,if any. My SPF cobra to most people think it's the original. I think they did a better job than CS himself IMHO.

When talking with Pete Brock, he just happened to mention that Super Performance has purchased a stamping press with the capacity to make METAL center sections for their new GT40. Many have claimed they would have metal but so far none have been made. Lets hope that the South Africans come thru.

Back