Motor won't start

Might not work @ cranking RPM with MSD as the 'multiple' sparks are greatest in number @ lowest RPM----- 'first' flash should show correct orientation, but there might be 'ghost' indications thereafter..... just thinking outloud via keyboard here:)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I look forward to it but I'll be sad when you get this engine going properly. This thread is better than Top Gear.
Dave

Easy there Dave... It is a good thread but not that good.

Tim,
I cant really offer to much constructively, other than suggesting you beg/borrow a complete dizzy and give that a go. Is there anyone near by who could lend you a dizzy for a few hours?
Best of luck. Gus.

Last edited:
Tim,
No lights on your ECU. I would check the harness from the engine to the ECU and also the chassis power harness to the ECU. Sounds like the MSD unit is powering up but no trigger from the ECU. Give us the AEM model number. Get your VOM out and sweep the main ECU chassis power harness first.
Dave

An out of phase dizzy will usually cause the spark to jump to wrong cylinder, either side of correct one, so it will normally pop and bang like mad from either induction area or exhaust.

With the rotor arm aligned to one of the plug lead posts on the distributor cap, when the white wire is grounded, the spark should pass from coil to cap to rotor arm to plug post to plug lead to plug gap.

Tim has tried this test and it only gets from coil to distributor cap no further which points to a cap/rotor arm problem to me, or the lead from cap to plug.

As JacMac suggests, connecting an inductive pickup timing light and cranking would prove that the ECU is firing the MSD, even if not in time and also that the ECU is being triggered.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Inside the cap
Is there a center button (copper or carbon) or a carbon sprung contact? (If a sprung carbon contact is the carbon contact jammed?)

If it is a copper button (or carbon not on spring) then any variation in height between the center terminal and rotor needs to be taken up by adjustment of the rotor pick up See pics below (borrowed from Summit)

Now you may have an unsprung distributor cap contact and a rotor that expects the sprung carbon contact. In such instances there is no contact. And no spark

Basically mismatched parts

Try removing rotor and packing center hole with 1/4 inch of cardboard. (This will lift the rotor further from the crank and closer to the cap).
Refit cap
Test for spark using Paul's method (Don't crank engine)

If you get a spark to spark plug lead you have mismatched parts

Then you'll need to get parts matched
I'd not try running with cardboard packing except for a get you home job!

IAn

Attachments

• Rotor With Sprung Contact.jpg
    Rotor With Sprung Contact.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Rotor - not sprung.jpg
    Rotor - not sprung.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 197
Hi,

sorry I didn't read the full threat as my current Internet Connection on a trae show is to slow, so please don't crucify me if it has already been mentioned.

I don't have my MSD in front of me, but I am sure I remember there is a way using some little plastic part and springs ( a different set comes with the MSD BOX) to adjust the advance right ?

So if timing seems to be out of order/shifted, I would take a closer look to the little plastic parts if they are broken ?

Just my 2ct's

Cheers
skeleton

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Guys,

I've got to leave town. Hate to leave this unresovled, I know everyone whats to hear this thing fire up. I may get time to put a light on it before tonight but likely you'll hear about it early next week.

I hate it when work gets in the way of lifes more important stuff

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,
I have solid carbon node and the rotor has the spring steel contact which can be "bent" or adjusted upward if not making contact (similar to the tan cap you pictured). I have a new matched set. I'll check this though.

Skeleton,
I'll look into this as well. Thanks.

Hey Guys,

I've got to leave town. Hate to leave this unresovled, I know everyone whats to hear this thing fire up. I may get time to put a light on it before tonight but likely you'll hear about it early next week.

I hate it when work gets in the way of lifes more important stuff

David Morton is going to miffed with you, he will have to go back to watching Coro street & Top Gear re-runs to fill his day:cry:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Or better yet, as he commented the other day, he can watch the counter on the 'Jokes anyone?' thread.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I understand about work getting in the way from the important isues.

I am at work right now at my desk assembling new CV boots on my halfshafts as well as making a pattern for a thermostat gasket.

I have learned how to mix the important car stuff with making a living.

Lucky I am self employed or I would have been thrown out years
ago when cars under covers started appearing in the warehouse
and degreaser soaps appeared in the mens room.

I am also in So Cal and look forward to seeing your car on the road.

Cheers, Eric

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul - I sold it to Jens Hagerlauer in Vitaphone Racing to make room for the next one.
I will be the same brand - Ducati 1198s corse though I have a few months of getting through rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders before I can finally try one in Bologna.
I hope this will be about the time of the big motorcycle market on the Imola circuit.
I'm in discussion with a guy called Davide in Imola who will be sorting it out and helping to tweek it a bit for me before I bring it home. He has every superbike Ducati have ever made.
I have to break the news to my wife yet as she thought I'd finally grown up so if you ever call by - ssshhhh please.

Jac - I wish I had time for watching the box but thats a bit like giving in and getting old.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
David,

So, while shoulders are recuperating, you will be watching the counter on the 'Jokes' thead eh?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,
Well, I need to get out and go to a few places and visit a few people around Europe, NZ and maybe the USA and maybe a couple of days or more in the Maldive in between a few races and shoulder permitting replace the four bathrooms and remodel the front door area on the house and get the attic conversion started with the new stairs leading up to it. If I give you my cell phone number , maybe you could keep an eye on on the count for me and text me say once a week. Thanks.
Dave

Good evening all,
Tim,
if you are running the Accel "Dual Synch " distributor it might be worth checking the position of the rotor arm. You can adjust the rotor position when you initially install the disi and phase the rotor.As they come from Accel the adjusting screws are usually not very tight and if the phasing is OK they are often left "as is" and can move. If you look at the base of the rotor shaft you will see two adjusting slots and either two allen screws for the early ones or torx screws on the later models. Might be worth checking to see if they are slack and the rotor has retarded itself. Probably OK but worth checking.
We are the Accel DFI EMIK for the UK, also TWM and Dynaformance, if you think it's an Accel problem I can put you in touch with the right people at Accel for help.
Regards, Mike

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thats about the normal sort of pace in between times when I go off to work which keeps me away for about five days at a time nearly every other weekend during the season, and then the LMS events which are much fewer but longer away. I really would appreciate if you could keep and eye on it but don't worry too much about texting it to me as the costs of texts in Europe and the USA are crazy.
I can have a look at it around Christmas time if I remember.
Anyway - enough noise - lets get back to signal and hopefully help get his engine going.

Back