My Have Found A Coyote Intake Solution

Steve, thats not how I would do it, it can not vent as you'r pulling from both valve covers.
I would, like found on most cars..
A fresh air filter on one valvecover to let the air in ( sometimes found with a hose just before the aircleaner )
A hose with pcv valve to a catch can on the other valvecover so it can vent out.
A hose from the catch can to the intake manifold, at the plenum side, not on one runner.
This way air can circulate, the negative pressure from the intake can pull air through the engine.

EFI engines can correct the air fuel mixture. With carb't engines you can correct air fuel mixture with jetting ( idle jet, main jet, air correction jets ). Thats why we all have AFR gauges on board so we can see whats happening and react to it.

Or do not vent to the intake, but use a PCV pump like found on the Mustang and vent to the athmosphere.
I am running one of those pumps on a V6 with tripple carbs on a individual runners intake so no provision for PCV or brake booster.

Steve, thats not how I would do it, it can not vent as you'r pulling from both valve covers.
I would, like found on most cars..
A fresh air filter on one valvecover to let the air in ( sometimes found with a hose just before the aircleaner )
A hose with pcv valve to a catch can on the other valvecover so it can vent out.
A hose from the catch can to the intake manifold, at the plenum side, not on one runner.
This way air can circulate, the negative pressure from the intake can pull air through the engine.

EFI engines can correct the air fuel mixture. With carb't engines you can correct air fuel mixture with jetting ( idle jet, main jet, air correction jets ). Thats why we all have AFR gauges on board so we can see whats happening and react to it.

Or do not vent to the intake, but use a PCV pump like found on the Mustang and vent to the athmosphere.
I am running one of those pumps on a V6 with tripple carbs on a individual runners intake so no provision for PCV or brake booster.

Great info and thank you.

Being a novice on modular engines, I plumbed it like a standard engine of yesteryear. I’m showing my age.

So only use 1 PCV valve to a catch can and the other side a filter.

When you say run the hose from the catch can to the intake, you say attach to the plenum side not the runner side...what do you mean by that?

Are you saying to attach the hose on the bottom of the intake and not on top like I have it?

What’s strange is looking at the Ford Coyote engine, it has a hose from the cold air intake to a PCV valve to the valve cover and the other side goes to the intake. At lease as far as I can tell from pictures.

There are no real diagrams for Coyote engines

See how in this picture the hose goes from the cold air intake to the valve cover. That’s just like I did mine.

You’re saying that this is incorrect?

Attachments

• 7C0A44C2-5BE3-4EA7-BCA5-5A9ABABCB14A.png
    7C0A44C2-5BE3-4EA7-BCA5-5A9ABABCB14A.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 370

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Is that one before and one after the throttle body / butterfly?
To the one closest to the air filter is taking filtered air and that is drawn into the valve cover

The one after the butterfly will be at vacuum so draw air from the other valve cover ointment the engine

Ian

I’m a little confused.

Does anyone have a PCV plumbing diagram that you can show me for a Ford Coyote or a modular engine?

I’m more of a visual guy and I can’t see what everyone is trying to say.

This is where I’m confused.

If you look at these pictures, it looks as though I’m plumbing correctly.

I have the same OEM GT350 cold air intake.

What am I not seeing?

Attachments

• 76938C4D-519A-42B7-A694-A8A54A36E034.jpeg
    76938C4D-519A-42B7-A694-A8A54A36E034.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 320
  • C8C86832-394E-46A0-BF1C-11662367D2FA.png
    C8C86832-394E-46A0-BF1C-11662367D2FA.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 347
  • 9F52A531-B31B-4CBE-AA61-98E0B9D5E1D8.png
    9F52A531-B31B-4CBE-AA61-98E0B9D5E1D8.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 353
Even more confusion because this article describes exactly what I did.

Attachments

• 8EC98C8A-3016-41C2-AFD1-8A43FB5727FE.jpeg
    8EC98C8A-3016-41C2-AFD1-8A43FB5727FE.jpeg
    218.2 KB · Views: 342
Well, did I open a can of worms or what? My innocent question didn’t do you any favours, mate. Sorry about that Steve.

Here in Australia I’ve been informed, and my understanding is, that all engine vents must feed back into the inlet to be burnt up. Nothing is to vent to atmosphere, so filters are not allowed as engine pressure would vent gases out through the filter. To avoid that, is there a one-way valve below the filter mentioned by JP above?

Feeding in engine vents upwind of the MAP makes sense, so that it “sees” all of the flow, but it may be that the ECU / sensors can, in fact, handle venting downwind of the MAP. I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that one. In looking at my situation more closely, (I think it’s) the MAP is below the manifold (see images) and so venting into the blanked off port should be fine after all. Or am I wrong about that? That will save me a fair bit of messing around if correct.

I’m just as confused as you with respect to the Coyote plumbing. Flushing with fresh air is new to me (no surprises there), but how does manifold vacuum supply air to a rocker cover? The vacuum from the other vent line is enough to overcome engine vacuum at the inlet and draw off some fresh air? My understanding was that any vents had to be controlled, usually by PCVs that opened with pressure. Anyway, I will continue to research, but welcome any clarification.

Cheers, Lance

Attachments

• IMG_4000.JPG
    IMG_4000.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3999.JPG
    IMG_3999.JPG
    373 KB · Views: 347
Well, did I open a can of worms or what? My innocent question didn’t do you any favours, mate. Sorry about that Steve.

Here in Australia I’ve been informed, and my understanding is, that all engine vents must feed back into the inlet to be burnt up. Nothing is to vent to atmosphere, so filters are not allowed as engine pressure would vent gases out through the filter. To avoid that, is there a one-way valve below the filter mentioned by JP above?

Feeding in engine vents upwind of the MAP makes sense, so that it “sees” all of the flow, but it may be that the ECU / sensors can, in fact, handle venting downwind of the MAP. I’m afraid I don’t know the answer to that one. In looking at my situation more closely, (I think it’s) the MAP is below the manifold (see images) and so venting into the blanked off port should be fine after all. Or am I wrong about that? That will save me a fair bit of messing around if correct.

I’m just as confused as you with respect to the Coyote plumbing. Flushing with fresh air is new to me (no surprises there), but how does manifold vacuum supply air to a rocker cover? The vacuum from the other vent line is enough to overcome engine vacuum at the inlet and draw off some fresh air? My understanding was that any vents had to be controlled, usually by PCVs that opened with pressure. Anyway, I will continue to research, but welcome any clarification.

Cheers, Lance
Yes. Thanks for that. Haha

That’s excellent, Steve. Good news.

I’ve had a look around on this issue, but I couldn’t find any definitive information. Very general or conflicting information seems to be the norm.

If that’s what the manufacturer provides, all good.

Cheers, Lance

Thanks Lance, I think this is the best I can do given the conflicting information as you’ve said.

I doubt what I did will cause harm, I hope not at least.

Back