My History with Bob McLean

Bill Kearley

Supporter
I have a story that I'd like to share....The year was 1963, living in Vancouver BC Canada at 19th & Willow. While working my paper route I noticed a garage door open in the alley way. Wow, what kind of cars are those, I thought???? From that point on alot of my spare time was spent leaning against the door way of that garage watching with keen interest.
It was the Bob McLean Racing Team sponsored by Fogg Motors in New Westminster.
After hanging around for awhile, a rag was thrown at me and it was suggested that I get busy cleaning the grease & grime off the wheels. A short time later a member of the team ( Jamie Moore ) was driving a blue mustang with a white bar over the hood from tire to tire # 101. It was about that time I was in trouble in elementary school for defacing my notebooks and textbooks with drawings of mustangs or GT 40 written all over them.
I spent alot of time at Westwood Race Track in Coquitlam BC As time went by I remember the hype when things came together for Bob McLean over the fact that he was going to Sebring to drive # P 1000 for Comstock Racing & died in that race. Rumor has it that the Comstock car was burried at trackside, where it crashed.
Today some 43 years later, my better half and I have a modified 1966 Fastback that won a second place award at SAAC 27 at California Speedway. I am still trying to buy GT 40 and bring it into Canada to live my dream....this seems to be a difficult task!
If I suceed I think I will have a personalized license plate that reads...
"sue me"
Bill & Jane

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Bill, Jane,

Wonderful story, Bob McLeans' career was certainly on a trajectory strait up. I have the good fortune to have two of Bob's teamates at Comstock close to our shop. Both Eppie Weitzes and Craig Fisher (Bobs' co-driver at Sebring) have been out in our CAV GT40s. Craig in fact showed me the line at Dunville Autodrome driving a 347 Ford powered, ZF CAV, with Webers of course. The "line" was not where all the rubber was on some corners either, he made going seriously fast look easy.

I've sent you a PM on the matter of aquiring a car btw.

Cheers

Attachments

• CraigFisherAtDunnville.jpg
    CraigFisherAtDunnville.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 246
  • 1037Westwood.jpg
    1037Westwood.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 302
  • EppieCAV47.jpg
    EppieCAV47.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 249
Back