N E W Superlight cars from R.C.R

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Dave,

it was my pleasure.You truly understand and share a level of enthusiasm normally reserved for members of staff....
Thanks for dropping by.

Dave,

If you can't get the pictures to load you can email them to me and I can host them on my webspace

Tim

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Lets try this photo thing again.....

Attachments

• Front Exposed.JPG
    Front Exposed.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 1,868
  • Front Suspension.JPG
    Front Suspension.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 1,884
  • Engine & Rear Suspension.JPG
    Engine & Rear Suspension.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 4,482
  • Engine Under Cover.JPG
    Engine Under Cover.JPG
    212.7 KB · Views: 1,852
  • Rear Shocks & Gearbox.JPG
    Rear Shocks & Gearbox.JPG
    273.4 KB · Views: 2,876
Awesome car, just need to figure out a windshield wiper, where to store the overnight bag & hang the rear license plate.

I'm close to two racetracks and that was my reasoning for the GT40 (along with childhood memories).... but this P carrockonsmile

Last edited:
The reason I was thinking about a motorcycle engine is that a friend in Australia I used to race off road with built an off road racer with a motorcycle engine. He used a starter motor for the reverse also. The only thing was the carrier was a locked diff I believe. I will have to get him to send me some pictures. There was a bit of worry about the trans being able to handle the load. Off road is one of the most brutal things to a drivetrane. It was holding fine though and I have no doubt it would do fine on the street. It would certianly make for an ultralight package.

Jim N

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Wiper is being worked on currently...
Overnight bag will fit very comfortably in the passenger footwell ...unless your passenger is 7 ft tall of course.
There is also space at the outside of the seats that can carry a good slim sized soft bag.....
There really is masses of space in the cockpit of this car....

Looked over the interior again and I can see there is really a lot of room.. plus it looks like there's plenty of opportunity to customize the dash(and/or come down the middle to the floor etc...)

I was leaning to build kind of an updated GT40 but since Ford as already done that... this may be just the ticket. Perhaps a cross between Ultima & Noble (and less expensive)... Great job Fran!

Well, it was definately worth the wait, as the car is stunning to say the least.

Of course, now that it's available, I have to figure out how to get one into my garage.

My goal is to use a subie drivetrain and build a light, & sinister little track day machine.

Anybody wanna buy a slightly used SCCA ITE 16v Mercedes 190? ,,,,,,,how about a slightly used 39 year old Belgian kidney?

Hmmm.... I really question if that Transworks joint is really a CV joint. It just looks like a shaft coupling. It may have enough clearance in it to allow slight misalignment, but in no way does it look like a CV joint. It appears to be a glorified U-joint.

Just adding my $.02.

Happy to see people comming out wiht new ideas for a change. There are WAY to many companies rehashing the same old 60's cars. This is what us young guys want

Hey, J. Kreviazuk, you young guys don't know what you missed in the 60s. This baby will give you permanent "Buck Wheat" (look it up)hair do and whip-lash neck pain...Enjoy...

Attachments

• New Car Me alone.jpg
    New Car Me alone.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,213
Well so much for another day at the race track. I worked the race at Heartland Park in Topeka, Ks. I also had the pictures of the P car. I had about twenty people looking me up to see the pictures. You have a willer in that car. Keep up the good work. Mel

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Fran -
The engine has arrived at the freight terminal! I have to wait until next week to pick it up - 1993 1UZFE with 100K miles, all accessories including uncut wiring harness for $500! The low prices on these engines is unbelievable considering the technology and reliability.
Dave L

Attachments

• 1UZFE.jpg
    1UZFE.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 1,184

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Fran -
The engine has arrived at the freight terminal! I have to wait until next week to pick it up - 1993 1UZFE with 100K miles, all accessories including uncut wiring harness for $500! The low prices on these engines is unbelievable considering the technology and reliability.
Dave L

Dave -
How'd your source that motor? That really is an incredible price for that kind of technology.

Thanks,
Steve

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Dave -
How'd your source that motor? That really is an incredible price for that kind of technology.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve - I've been watching eBay for quite some time. I wanted to find one that was complete - many are sold as long blocks only. I purchased mine from here: eBay Store - PK Auto Parts: Lexus, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz. I haven't seen the engine yet but the transaction and shipping have gone very smoothly.

Dave L

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
For anyone thinking about one of these great little V8's for their project, here are some useful facts about them:

The aluminum block motors are the 4.0l 1UZ-FE and 4.3l 3UZ-FE, and are found only in the Lexus line. The aluminum motors weigh around 420 lbs, fully dressed with all accessories

The cast iron block 4.7l 2UZ-FE is found in Toyota's 4-Runners and Tundras, and it weighs around 500-510 lbs, dressed.

All motors will fit in a 650-720mm cube, making them one of the most compact OHC V8's in the market, and comparing favorably with the smaller OHV cam in block V8's.

All are DOHC, 32 valve motors with aluminum heads, and the aluminum block motors have six bolt mains, while the iron block 2UZ has 2 bolt mains.

All rods in all motors are powder forgings, but the pre-95 1UZ rods are stronger than all the rest, with beefier cross sections. The weakest rods are found in the 2UZ motor. All rods are interchangeable between motors.

Toyota's technical documentation states that the 1UZ and 3UZ motors have forged steel cranks, while the same docs state only that the 2UZ motor's crank is steel (no mention of forging).

The later (post '98) 1UZ engines have heads which flow better than the early 1UZ heads, however the later heads also have a variable valve timing system.

The pre-'98 aluminum motors used a dual distributor ignition system, which can be converted to crank trigger fairly easily. The post '98 motors eliminated the distributors and were fully crank/cam triggered with a COP setup. The COP setup from the later motors is not a direct fit onto the early motors as the heads are slightly different. The firing order for all motors is: 18436572 (same as Chevy).

The 98 and later motors use a variable timing system on the intake cams which Toyota calls VVTi. This system makes the later motors less desirable to hotrod as few standalone ECU's on the market have the capability to control this system properly.

Rear sump motors come from the Lexus SC400, mid-sump from the GS400, and front sumps from the LS400. The sump position probably is of little concern for a midengine project, but can be a showstopper for swapping these motors into other cars.

Tranny adaptors, ITB setups, supercharger kits, hot cams and valve trains, forged pistons & rods, etc. are all available in the aftermarket. Nearly all the go fast parts are designed for use with the earlier (pre-VVTi) engines. The Aussies have been hotrodding these motors for years, while in the US they're "just" being discovered, which is why they're still so cheap on eBay. Typical prices range from $250 to $750 USD for these motors.

And www.Lextreme.com certainly has loads more information about these motors (shameless plug for a great website :)).

Here's a pic of one of the more "lextreme" examples:

attachment.php

This "mule" motor was plucked from a salvage yard, and according to its owner/builder, they're "running it to 7400, and apart fron intake, exhaust and dry sump, engine is still standard." It's being tested in this Reynard chassis, with the intent of competing in the Australian OZ-Boss series:

attachment.php

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
John -

Thanks for posting all of that info on the Lexus engines - great stuff! I also just registered on the Lextreme site so I can get more info. I'd really like to go the route Fran is taking with the prototype coupe with the intercooled twin turbo arrangement. The power potential from these small capacity V-8's is amazing. All I need to do now is get my order in with Fran! Anyone interested in buying a Series 1 Lotus Esprit?

Dave L

Back