N E W Superlight cars from R.C.R

Great Cars Fran, They look the dog dangles.

One comment on the roadster - and not to be a kill joy, but with the orientation of the steering rack relative to the front a-arms, bump and droop will introduce some pretty wicked bumpsteer. You'd have to get the rack arms almost parallel to the upper a-arm to avoid this, unless my eyes are playing tricks on me.:confused:

Again, awesome looking cars, just thought I'd make an observation.

Cheers,

Aric

Thanks for your observations...
When the production rack is fitted the arms are all near parallel.....the high positioning of the rack is for the very reason you state....... parallel arms/suspension..
The inner tie rod pivot on the rack is also farther inboard than the pics many show.
Another thing to keep in mind is that we are not using 6 inches of wheel travel..

Last edited:
Ok, that answers my question. I noticed that the rack seemed high as well, but from what I know of Fran and RCR, I was sure it was either my eyes or just not fully adjusted.

Cheers
Eric

The P is a nice looking machine for sure- but the front windscreen looks a little too "Ultima" for me. I'd prefer something more along the lines of the windscreen on Porsche's 911-GT198....

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Sweet pics man!!!!!

The P looks like it's going 100 standing still.

Can this on be ordered in gel coat colors also?

Are there tire size limitations...... I kinda like Mesa's increased traction pic.

Rob,
Being a fat tire fanatic (a child of the Can-am era cars that was too young to actually go to a Can-am) I cannot tolerate skinny rear tires :).

Fran says that one can fit up too 17" in the rear without interference. From what I've seen of the car I think this comes from modern wheel hat diameters being big enough to clear the ''A arm'' style rear suspenion arms. So one ends up with a lot of inboard clearance for fat wheels.

enjoy....

(the pic didnt load, I'll try again from home later)

Attachments

• fatso2.jpg
    fatso2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,310
Last edited:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Rob, I am currently in talks with Fran regarding an optional tire/rim combo for the super lite roadster. Attached is a picture of the prototype. The tire/rim combo is currently pine and 22" diameter. They are available now. Options for the future are 25" maple. I can cut any widths desired. Sorry, but the tire/rim combo will be of limited supply and on a first come first served basis. This is assuming Fran and I can come to terms on price. I would reserve your order early to insure delivery. Let me know.

Attachments

• 53007 205.jpg
    53007 205.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,100

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Gregg,
I think to meet Fran's "superlight" requirements they would have to be balsa. But then again, I don't think any of these options will meet the FEA expectations of RCR. Call me crazy....:D

Fran,
These are truely pieces of art. Is it possible to use a motorcycle engine like a Suzuki Hayabusa with a sprocket carrier holding the inner CV joints? What does the Roadster weigh as a roller?

Thank you
Jim Nielsen

Fran,

Not to take this thread off track, but I think this setup could be used.

Jim N.

The problem with going with a motorcycle package is there is no reverse. Although you can use a product similar to this one (the inboard brakes are just a option). When I talked to them about a year ago, he said it would be easy to make a two speed box. Now you can have a low gear for around town (6 sp low) and high gear for highway (6 sp high). Since these motors don't make that much torque keeping the RPM's in the power band is a must.

Here is a little quote from them:

MINI SAND CARS, POWERED BY MOTORCYCLE ENGINES, ARE A RAPIDLY EMERGING TREND AMONG OFF ROAD ENTHUSIASTS AND ARE BECOMING IMMENSELY POPULAR. SEVERAL MANUFACTURERS ARE NOW BUILDING KITS AND TURN KEY CARS, AND SOME ARE VERY IMPRESSIVE STATE OF THE ART VEHICLES. HOWEVER, MOST ARE LACKING IN ONE AREA. THE PREFERRED METHOD OF TRANSFERRING POWER TO THE REAR WHEELS SEEMS TO BE A CHAIN DRIVE AT THIS POINT, AND THIS SYSTEM LEAVES A LOT TO BE DESIRED. WE WERE RECENTLY APPROACHED BY A SMALL GROUP OF MINI CAR ENTHUSIASTS WHO ASKED US IF WE COULD ENGINEER A DRIVE SYSTEM THAT WOULD PROVIDE A GEARED POWER TRANSFER WITH A DIFFERENTIAL CAPABLE OF HANDLING THE HORSEPOWER OF HIGHLY MODIFIED HAYABUSA ENGINES. THEY ALSO WANTED FULLY INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION WITH 930 CV JOINTS, THE ABILITY TO INSTALL SINGLE OR DUAL INBOARD DISC BRAKES, AND A REVERSE GEAR WAS A MUST. WE WERE INTRIGUED BY THE CONCEPT, AND AFTER RESEARCHING THE MARKET DECIDED TO STEP UP TO THE CHALLENGE.

THE RESULT IS THE TRANSWORKS MINI-DIFF. IT IS BASICALLY A SINGLE SPEED TRANSAXLE WITH A REVERSE GEAR. POWER IS TRANSFERRED THROUGH A SPIRAL BEVEL GEAR SET, ALLOWING THE ENGINE TO BE MOUNTED SIDEWAYS RIGHT BEHIND THE SEAT(S). IT IS BUILT AROUND A LOT OF THE VW BASED PARTS WE USE ON FULL SIZED SAND CAR TRANSAXLES, SO THERE IS A LOT OF FREEDOM OF INTERCHANGEABILITY AND EASY ACCESS TO REPLACEMENT PARTS. THE STANDARD OVERALL FORWARD GEAR RATIO IS 5.55:1, BUT THIS CAN BE CHANGED TO SUIT INDIVIDUAL NEEDS.

Transworks min diff

diff1.jpg

along with the coupler you no longer need a chain. Looks like a great way to motorcycle power a car.

THE TRANSWORKS MINI-DIFF DRIVE COUPLER IS BASICALLY A 6-BALL CV JOINT, MADE OF HEAT TREATED 4140 CHROMOLY STEEL, THAT ATTACHES TO THE OUTPUT SHAFT OF A MOTORCYCLE ENGINE IN PLACE OF THE STOCK SPROCKET.

WE MANUFACTURE THE OUTER HOUSING AND OTHER COMPONENTS, AND THEN A MODIFIED SPROCKET IS WELDED TO THE END OF THE.' HOUSING. WE STOCK THEM COMPLETE FOR HAYABUSA ENGINES, AS THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST POPULAR ENGINE CHOICE, BUT WE CAN USE A SPROCKET FROM ANY MOTORCYCLE ENGINE, SO THEORETICALLY THIS COUPLER CAN BE USED FOR ANY MOTORCYCLE ENGINE/ MINI-DIFF COMBINATION, AS LONG AS THE SPACE EX1STS FOR IT ON YOUR PARTICULAR ENGINE. IN OTHER WORDS, AS LONG AS YOUR SPROCKET COVER CAN BE REMOVED OR TRIMMED FOR THE 3” DIAMETER AND THERE IS NOTHING ELSE IN THE WAY, THIS COUPLER WILL WORK FOR YOU. YOU MAY SPECIFY THE SPROCKET NEEDED, SEND US A SPROCKET, OR ORDER IT WITHOUT A SPROCKET ATTACHED, FOR CUSTOM APPLICATIONS. WITH THIS COUPLER THE MINI-DIFF INPUT SHAFT ENDS UP WITHIN 1/2” OF THE ENGINE’S OUTPUT SHAFT, MAKING FOR A COMPACT DRIVE TRAIN PACKAGE.

DC2a.jpg

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Some bike engines cars over her run a Quaife reverse box 1:1 ratio forward or reverse so it doesn't worry which way you are pointing.

Others use an electric motor for the reverse - SVA says it has to be able to pull the car up over a 4 inch block of wood.

Ian

<<(the pic didnt load, I'll try again from home later)>>
Trying again .......
Too bad it isnt this easy to modify cars in real life!

Gregg - Those wheel tire combos you are offering may need a little true work, I don't know ...... it may be an optical but they look to have a little flat spot. Super low bark (rubber) to wood (wheel) ratio .... should look good on an SUV with spinners!

Attachments

• fatso2.jpg
    fatso2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,048
Last edited:

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I was actually looking at the Hayabusa as a motor alternative to an automobile engine. Stroked turbocharged Hayabusa engine in an 1100lb car... Sounds like fun to me!!! Either that or an SRT4 Neon engine with slight mods (turbo upgrade, injectors, stand alone ECU, & head work & cams maybe) would be a blast also. Guys are making 500whp from those little engines and still having them daily driveable. I'm kinda wondering where the radiator & intercooler would mount though. Also, I remember Fran saying something about an engine cover, wheel covers, and a nose piece possibly. I'd like to have a look at all that. I'm selling my ass off at work so I can buy one of the little roadsters!! I want one BAAAD!!

Hhhhmmmm,
I would worry that a MC engine's transmission wouldnt be up to the task..... driving a 400lb Hi-ya-boos-uh is one thing, but add another 1000lb, a turbo and I'd think things woudnt last too long. Does anyone currenty drive a 1400lb car with this combo reliably? Would be sweet no doubt...... but?

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
All I can say is WOW! and THANK YOU FRAN! I had the pleasure of finally visiting with Fran and seeing the RCR shop today. Fran - thank you for taking a few hours out of your day to spend with me - I truly appreciate it as I know you and your crew are VERY busy.

The shop is impressive and the products are even more impressive! I visited Fran primarily to look at the Superlight Coupe (RCR-P) but Fran was kind enough to give me the full tour. The quality of the suspension pieces, body panels and especially the welding on the aluminum chassis are really amazing.

While I have always loved the GT-40 Fran has struck gold for me with the Superlight Coupe. Pictures do not do the car justice – you must see it in person to really appreciate the lines of the car. The aluminum extrusions used for the chassis are welded so perfectly that it is like art. There are subtle curves and angles to the body – like the slightly raised hood section with extended nose and the tail section with its subtle curves – that need to be seen in person to be truly appreciated. 6-piston brakes on all 4 corners. Fully adjustable suspension. And, while I’m not a big fan of wings, the wing on the Superlight Coupe is bolted to the chassis (not just the body) and is adjustable. I might not use it for the street (it can easily be unbolted from the chassis) but for high speed outings or track days it would be perfect! Fran and his crew are working on custom seats for the car and I tried out the shell – it’s perfect for the car and while it wasn’t bolted in I can say it is very comfortable and shows RCR’s attention to detail. The wheels are ZO6 spec 5-bolt and beautiful – any wheel that fits a late model Corvette will work – LOTS of options! The interior is still in development but I was very impressed with the dash – very production car looking. Interior door panels are “in-process” that will line up with the nicely finished dash. I’m personally not a big fan of digital dashes but the one Fran offers provides a lot of information and fits the dash pod well. The scoop on the cockpit roof is fully functional feeding the engine compartment and the interior (via 2 air vents). The side vents are also fully functional. While the yellow car is a prototype, the fit and finish is excellent. The production door hinges will be more refined than those on the prototype but the ones shown are fully functional. Ingress and egress are made easier by the fact that one can actually stand in the car next to the seat prior to sitting. Interior room is impressive for a high performance car.

Obviously, I was impressed by what I saw today. Here are some photos of the car including first-time seen pictures of the front suspension.

Thanks again Fran – I had a blast!

Dave L

Could not get photos to load - I'l try again tomorrow.

Back