NA or turbo?

Big lines must put in order; engine is "problem"... Guys, help, and tell Your opions, which is way to go.
I better knew what i wanted earlier, now i think i`m ...little lost :uneasy:

1) First and worst plan was to go with 385 -series (390-460+), with twin turbo`s or very agressive NA-version. But they are very big; difficult to install and service. And it needs a bombproof, expencive transaxle. Maybe overkill for the whole car.

2) Planned very high revving 289-302 too, NA-version with 4x48`s or 8p. injection system; no problem for me etc. Thats good option `couse i feel that somehow now i wanna do more authentic car. Back to sixties... (Or this engine with revs AND turbo?). Then transaxle is more safe too, in both ways.

3) 351W for NA-action with hi-revs, 4x48`s etc. Is that possible to get 351W -base engine to sing high?

When i started this whole project 3 years ago, i have noticed every final decision is harder and harder to make. To me.
Turbo-politics are not problem for me, done many from scratch (working ones..)
Show me the way....:worried:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
351W for NA-action with hi-revs, 4x48`s etc. Is that possible to get 351W -base engine to sing high?

Depends on your interpretation of "high". My 383 (the smallest of the stroker kits for the 351W) has the longest rod (6.25), forged pistons, H-beams, and with the Canton girdle I twist it to 7500 every time I take it out. Yeah, the 289 with the stock rods and no girdle would do 8K easily enough with forged pistons, but I got tired of the high rpm/low torque route. I really do enjoy the 383 sooooo much more than the 289.

On another note, I don't think the 48s are going to allow too much push past 6500 (for the 351 displacement), but that's an opinion and another story.

Last edited:

Chris Duncan

Supporter
Turbos ruin the look of the 8 stacks in the back window and the bundle of snakes exhaust

It's a long argument how much HP is necessary or desirable in this car, it falls between 300hp and 500hp

personally for me 400hp is enough and that saves the transaxle

you can go 500 but it's still not going to be as fast as a litre bike and will need expensive transaxle.

Thanks for answers.

That Q was wrote after few x-mas drinks :drunk: (sorry), but honest text anyway; there is always problem called -what engine- when you are building replica car.

If you are building monoque-gt40, then line is crystal clear; mk1 with sbf or mkII with FE with 15" wheels, ZF/etc etc. Like original.
Freedom isn`t always good thing, too many options, and i believe i`m not the only one with this problem.

I think route is 302 or 351 -base NA with programable 8v injection.
Point about high rev engine is mainly nostalgic (ah, my old BDA), and idea of use Hewland race box.

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Jyrki,
My vote would go on a 302 size block stroked out to 330 or 347 with forged internals and an internal balance (super smooth running). More torque than the 289/302, same size and weight. Keeps the bundle of snakes and the right sound. Either 650 cfm Holley(cheap and works very well) or throttle bodies (keeps the 8 bellmouths look) as webers are very expensive and might not flow enough at the top end for a bigger cube motor. Also hard to get a good tune at small throttle openings with a lumpyish cam. About 420-450 hp and 450 torque. Agree with Kalun that any more and you will spin the wheels all the time especially with 15" wheels and and 295 wide tyres. Also don't like the turbo idea ( nothing -wheelspin - nothing) and no proper howl.
Just my 2c.
Cheers
Mike

Back