National Auto Sport Association

I went to the Walter Mitty event at Road Atlanta Saturday. There I found an organization that I think most of us will be interested in. They are called NASA for National Auto Sport Association. Some of you may be familiar with them in other areas of the country. They have about 18 clubs scattered across the country (see attached brochure). They are now opening up in the Southeast, and we now have a venue to race our cars at santioned events. For those of you who have felt you have been left out in the cold by SCCA, there now is a new voice in the mix. They advertise in Grassroots Motorsports all the time. They are in about 23 states I believe, and are opening new areas each year. I met Jim Pantas the Southeast Regional Director. A very nice guy. NASA is set up to work with every racer INCLUDING kit cars. They sponsor events all over the country with what they call High Performance Driving Events. They take the every day racer and TEACH him/her how to get the maximum form their car. Now they don't do suspension tuning, but they do all the rest, one on one.(See attached info) Their events are under $300 a weekend, and there is talk of discounting this first year to get people out to their events and get involved. You get plenty of track time too. In the Southeast Region their schedule is:
May 15-16 Talladega Grand Prix
June 19-20 Road Atlanta
August 14-15 Road Atlanta
September 24-25 Roebling Road (Savannah)
November 13-14 Talladega Grand Prix

You can find out about events in your area by checking with NASA @ web page

I am including a copy of their brochure. I hope thats allowed!! If it has to be zapped, or is unintelligible, I will send a copy to any who request it. They will give SCCA a run for their money in the next few years as they have doubled their membership the last two years running. Those of you who have deeper pockets, or know of people with cars in the mentioned classes, should have fun with the other events and classes. I can't say that I have found any negatives, but I haven't read their codes and regs yet. I will probably check out one of their events since I won't have a ride until the end of the year.(I don't think they can teach me much about high performance with my truck)

Their Safety Requirements:

Membership in NASA or a santioned club
Any car in safe operating condition
Muffelers-different tracks have different sound policies
Rollbars in convertibles
Seatbelts in good working order
State driver's liscence
A helment
Knowledge of the Club Codes and Regulations
At least 18 years of age (16 with parental consent)

They have 11 classes:

Pro 7
Pro Sedan (PS)
Legends
Spec Miata
GTI Cup
Camaro/Mustang Challenge (CMC)
American Stockcar Challenge (ASC)
US Touring Car Challenge (USTCC)
Renault Sports Racr (RSR)
American Iron
Super Unlimited

From talking to the guys at the event, they seem like the group for most of us and our cars. As they get bigger, SCCA will have to take notice. If the images con't come through, email me.
Bill

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/135/135525/folders/130756/1030047nasa!.jpg

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/135/135525/folders/130756/1030048nasa!001.jpg

A followup on this organization. The pics didnot come through so good, so I am reposting the contact info.
1032881nasa.jpg

I have been looking at some of their events in the east. I am probably going to attend a handfull of these. They also run at VIR, Summit Point, and Beaver Run, PA.

www.nasaproracing.com

Their address is:

NASA
P.O. Box 21555
Richmond, Ca. 94820-1555

Membership is $30 and includes a 1-year subscription to Speed News.

$13 for a copy of Club Codes and Regulations (includes S-H)

$20 NASA Performance Driving Textbook (highly recommended)
Bill

Back