Need Clear 5" i.d. tubing

I’m looking for some 5” i.d. clear plastic tubing. I’d like to build a clear plastic stack to sit on top of my carb. As you know there were used on GT40’s back I the 60’s and I like to look. The only problem is everyone that has any wants to sell me a 20’ length which is big $. I’m only looking for maybe 8-10”. I’m going to taper then flare the top edge so I need a little extra just in case.

Also does anyone have a good close up picture of one on a car, there was some unique hardware to hold them on and I don’t have a good enough picture to make a set? Thanks.

Attachments

• 58560-MK2PIC3CARBA.jpg
    58560-MK2PIC3CARBA.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 338
Guy's great sites thanks.

Randy, having a 1/4" wall thickness may work but would be a lot of extra work. I'd have to build a form to swedge it onto. I'm worried how clear it would be after I was done with it. I could build it out of sheet stock but would have lots of the same issues. I might also blow it into a form but getting the right ID would be hard. Vacuum forming might work but I don’t have the equipment and I’ve never seen anyone vacuum form anything that thick.

Neal, also a great site but it didn't list anything with a 5"id. They had polycarbonate which would be awesome although a bitch to work with if you want to heat and bend the stuff. It wants to be a solid or burn, very small window of pliability.

I sent both sites an email asking if they could get 5" id material. Thanks again.

Maybe if someone was interested and would like to supply the material I would make a couple for them in return for enough material for me. Just a thought.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Richard,

Years ago, I picked up some odd bits from an outfit called Cadillac Plastics. Maybe they'd be able to help.

Good luck!

T.

Dutton, we used to have one in Spokane years ago. but they have also been gone a long time. Found them online but they merged with GE so no luck so far but thanks for the help. I need to find a company that uses the stuff to see if they have a remnant. For some reason I really like your Avatar.

Maybe I should start looking at salad bowls or kitchen supply places.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Try talking to Larry Stock at PPC, Reno (775) 856-7011, tell him Julian sent you.

Larry is a bit of a plastics guru with a warehouse full of oddball plastics and off cuts, he is also a car guy and always fabricating items for the Pantera crowd. BTW 'PPC' is Polymer Plastics Corp and Pantera Parts Connection

How about going into a 'home store' and check out some of the plastic containers there used for kitchen stuff. From your picture, it sure looks like something you could find there.

Richard, I have already been through this, so maybe I can help you out. I have the original print for the Holman Moody air horns, and have the mold to make the parts. Let me know if I can help you out.

Back