Need cooling help please

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
This is just me, but if I knew my water pump was weeping, and possibly the thermostat was bad, I would start with all that first because you need to drain the system anyway. Then, I would refill with NEW coolant . Rather than hoping it was just air, or possibly just the thermostat. It doesn’t make sense to me to possibly have to do the job twice. Parts are pretty cheap. It’s been sitting a while.
But that’s just me.

Regards Brian

I hear you Brian. That makes sense. I've gotta see what effort it takes to get to the water pump, and, if I can get to it, make sure that it is weeping and not something else around/near it. My only observations are from a cursory look from underneath.

David Garton

Supporter
Lee hit it on the head with a great explanation of how to. The expansion tank should be at the highest point and has the cap on it so that is where you will be pulling vacuum from. Good luck.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Possibly one overlooked thing

Is there a cabin heater fitted and is that on hot?

If so it can make a very easy route for the fluid and means it avoids the radiator. …… and arrives back at the pump still hot.

Mole grip on the heater hose is an easy way to test

Ian

Just a thought, when I burp a system that has the radiator lower than the engine I pull the temp sensor from the manifold until coolant comes out

Got back to the car and started by removing the access panels for a better view. I am pretty sure the water pump is weeping on the center lower edge (kind of blurry brown in the below image taken from below on the left side of car). I swee a trail from there down to the green blob about to let go.

I checked all of the mounting hardware, but I see that doesn't do much (most likely) as I need to get to the sealing plate hardware too. That looks hard to do without WP removal. Do I have this right?
PXL_20240122_210729532.jpg

Last edited:
I see a part number PH-563 on the front side of the pump and I am seeing partial pump kits online with that part number. Since I can't see the whole pump, am I safe in ordering just this part number or do I need to verify anything else before ordering? Is there a preferred band and/or source to order these from? Sorry, I am more of an aircooled guy and this is a bit new to me! I don't shy awawy from amking a mess though...

PXL_20240122_204644876.jpg

One more Q for now...how do I release tension on the belt? I see, what appear to me to be, two idler type pulleys, but I don't see any spring operated arm to them.
PXL_20240122_205643747.jpg

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Mike, I’m not 100% sure, but it looks to me like the idlers are on a eccentric. Loosen the nut on the stud and then you should be able to take or remove tension on the pulley. I could be wrong, but that’s what it looks like to me .
Regards Brian

I see what you are saying Brian, thanks. That looks fairly doable.

Dave, so does that mean only the hoses are removed and then the attachment bolts for the forward section of the WP and I can deal with the sealing plate gasket outside the car? Is that how this works on this Roush 427SR?

Last edited:

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
These are my thoughts, and my thoughts only. How many times do I want to tear it apart ??!!!
It is a pain in the butt to do. I vote for do it right the first time. Replace the pump, gaskets check out the plate. Look at the hoses real good. It’s been sitting a long time. Hoses rot internally from the antifreeze. All this for less than a wrecker bill down the road. Do it once and take comfort in knowing that 2 weeks later something else won’t fail. It’s 40” tall, how many times do I want to work on it.
Just my thoughts.

Regards Brian

Remember why you wrote this thread in the first place - the car got hot and the temp went to the moon. That little leak from the water pump is not going to cause that. We all speculated the thermostat was stuck. I would not start ripping off the water pump over a little drop of coolant when the problem you describe is not that. We advised you draining the coolant and removing the thermostat. That is what I would do AFTER I started the car, let it get hot, and convince myself it was really over heating. Does it even have coolant in the tank?

Remember why you wrote this thread in the first place - the car got hot and the temp went to the moon. That little leak from the water pump is not going to cause that. We all speculated the thermostat was stuck. I would not start ripping off the water pump over a little drop of coolant when the problem you describe is not that. We advised you draining the coolant and removing the thermostat. That is what I would do AFTER I started the car, let it get hot, and convince myself it was really over heating. Does it even have coolant in the tank?
I would agree with Lee's advice Mike. Yes the waterpump can be removed with the firewall off and serpentine belt removed, but best to determine what if anything is causing overheating. Weeping from the waterpump would not cause this,

It has been a couple of months Lee, but I do remember. Thanks for your reply.

I just opened the car up for a better view of what is going on and posted here for further advise. Over the last year or two I have lost around a cup of coolant as far as I can tell...a slow weepage from the spot I found today. It is fairly constant. This is one issue and the other is the temp indication issue.

It has coolant in the tank as I mentioned.

I am not one to leave leaks unattended. It is probably the pilot in me. I would fix this leak in my daily drive too.

I understand that you suggest I replace the thermostat, drain the system and vac fill to see if the temp indication issue is sorted. That makes sense, however, that approach does not resolve my leak issue.

Back