Need guidance on a purchase

Ian-

CJE contacted me wanting to get in contact with a friend of mine who owns original chassis #1068. When I asked my friend if they could see the car and possibly take molds, he responded with a resounding "NO!"

Unfortunately, I don't see this guy often, but when I do, I will try again. Maybe I can get a reduced cost frame/chassis package from CJE for getting them in touch with him.

Hopefully, I will see him before Christmas.

Bill

Ian

Hope they come through. I see they changed their suspension from custom to donor parts...wonder if they'll be Corvette.

Lynn

I agree with your assessment. IMHO there are enough potential customers looking for a low cost bare bones kit they can build up over time, that don't have the budget
for an RF40, ERA, DRB, etc. There's no doubt these companies
provide single source convenience and valuable technical
support, but also no doubt that translates into higher cost.

Realistically..very few are funded/capable of offering
an RF40 or ERA style kit/service. Still, I'm amazed that
none of the US based Cobra makers have tried to offer
a bare bones kit to start.

MikeD

Bill,

I just get an email from somone who hopefully emailed
you as well.

I suppose mums the work until an official announcement
comes, but if he hasn't gotten in touch with you, I'll
see if I can forward contact info.

Ian

Lynn, having seen the evolution of GT40 Australia(DRB) after Peter Ransom took over I certainly agree. It's not just the huge amount of time and effort, it's the passion that these guys put into their businees that is inspirational. I expect all of the successful GT40 builders are the same. They enjoy what they are doing, strive to deliver more and clients are more than just customers, they become good friends.

And I thought buying a body/chassis unit from DRB, RF etc was starting from scratch. I have now been educated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MikeD, the current exchange rate between AUS & USD does help some of us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ian-

I got the same email, but the cat is out of the bag with Fran's announcement this afternoon. Looks like I may get into a GT40 sooner than I thought and for considerably less.

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Craig,

I'll have to take your word for it re: Peter Ransom. I can't get the man to talk to me.

I enjoyed working with Denis when he controlled DRB, but Peter has proven to be very difficult for me to work with. I guess I said something to really PO him or he doesn't have time for someone who doesn't want a whole car. I sent an email to Peter several weeks ago recognizing that we may have gotten off on the wrong foot (although it's not exactly clear to me how) and asking if we could initiate a conversation in a spirit of friendship. I have had no response or even a recognition of the email?

I had tried to talk with him about side window options around a year or more ago. I had the same success then as I have had recently: none. Everyone tells me that he is a great guy, but you couldn't prove it by me.

Regards,
Lynn

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,

I wouldn't take it personal. I had little response via email from Peter as well a few monthes ago. Instead I contacted via telephone and Peter was most helpful and willing to take some time with me, as well as his staff. He did make a comment regarding emails in that sometimes he neglects or just doesn't have the time to respond. Albeit, email is a business reality these days, I suspect some are still bucking technology or flat never learned how to type /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lynn, not good at all. I know I'm always very disappointed when I don't get emails back from people. Been contacting a few suppliers in US for Corvette Bushes, Ford Racing valve covers etc. Takes multiple emails and a few weeks to get a reply, if I get one.

I'm actually wondering how many emails P.R. actually receives in a day. Considering he does Cobras as well, I'm guessing a lot. Maybe it just isn't practical to get through them all.

P.R. just isn't the type of guy to hold a grudge. I'll ask him about it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hi Lynn,
I was just checking the Forum & read your comments re: contacting Peter. Peter spends 2-3 hrs per day responding to emails & answers every email received. I have checked our In-box and have only ever received 1 email from you directly (1/9/04 with photo attach). I would suggest that you contact Peter directly at the following email address, as he will respond within a day or 2 - [email protected]
I hope that this will be of assistance to you.
Kind Regards
Suzy W
for
Peter Ransom
GT40 Australia

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Lynn, I think that there was some confusion over PR's correct email address in the past - if you follow Suzy's advice, you'll do fine. Better still, call Suzy - she really knows how to make things happen.

I too am a "bit buyer" as far as PR is concerned - I bought my car "just started" from a now-extinct DRB agent, but Peter has been terrific in helping me out with various missing / updated bits, etc, even though I didn't buy the car from him.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[ QUOTE ]
CJE Motorsports just emailed me that their GT40 project is cancelled. They have an older GTD Roller for sale; it was their research kit.

[/ QUOTE ]

This car was exported from UK; it used to belong to John Gburek, a talented motor engineer living here in High Wycombe.
There are pics of the car click here. It is awaiting a Porsche G50-52 transaxle and a new engine.
It certainly looks very clean and could be a very tidy car.
Juan Samartin of CJE Motorsports is in Arcadia CA.

This car used to belong to Gordy Good and is a car the he and I brought from the UK about 18 months ago.see "Fran and Gordy's excellent adventure" on the forum somewhere....

It is indeed a nice car and John did a great job when he originally put it togther.
Gordy modified a few things and sold it through the forum a few moonths ago

This will make a nice car for someone to finish quite easily as it is well screwed togther.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
I, I do not have any plans to race, just drive and drive and drive.

As I see it, I could get the basic kit and get additional parts as $$$ becomes available.

I am soliciting pros and cons on this approach from the more experienced builders who can shed light that I can not see.

Regards and many thanks
Bill
Los Angeles

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill,

What is this on the other thread with the monster motor? If you have no plans to race why do that? Just get a mild 300hp V8 and call it a day, you'll be better off than the hot motor you've described in the other thread. I'm confused? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hi Ron

When I told many of my friends my plan to build a GT40 to drive around, they laughed and said "Why build it? You have a Cobra that just cruises." So I got to thinking that maybe I should build a car and have fun. That's my plan now. I live only 1 hour from Willow Springs as well.

Plans change as many of you know.

Bill

Back